advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100101)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

pfm member
Lemsips and Herbal Tablets will be packed and brought with us next week.

There is a really great sweet shop near here. I understand that you like jelly beans.

Anything else, like wine gums, fruit pastilles, gum drops etc?

OH, yes please - Fruit pastilles :)

I suggest that we meet the later part of your trip as they say this flu is still contagious 10 days after first symptoms - that said it appears we are in the myst of a full blown flu epidemic so I suggest stocking up with flu drugs for yourselves.

Just installed an S Class Benz cartridge on my turntable, shows how much work there is still to do with digital audio.

And you still get those who argue that digital is perfect!!! do then NOT LISTEN?

Pure DSD gets close....

My m-DAC gets stuck every now and then. VU-meter is popping up as a sound goes, but nothing comes out from speakers. Re-flashing firmware corrects problem.

Firmware is latest, 10.

Any suggestions?

Install A08 - which seems the most stable.

OH, yes please - Fruit pastilles :)

I suggest that we meet the later part of your trip as they say this flu is still contagious 10 days after first symptoms - that said it appears we are in the myst of a full blown flu epidemic so I suggest stocking up with flu drugs for yourselves.

Wednesday next week then?

well well.when my venerable pink cd went belly up i had to clean up my vinyl front end i swapped my 3year old dynavector karat,which i loved, for a benz wood which it thought was a mistake when i bought it (18 months ago) and now think was one of my best buys. i think i could live if they don't make cd transports any more ,but a great cartridge is a different matter .
in a way my cd going down has allowed me to get back into my lps. its a revalation(again).

Would there be a possibility to include some kind of user tweakability in order to make up for component drift (without box intrusion, that is)?

Sadly too dangerous, low phase margins will case the system to go unstable into capacitive loads - which can fry your amplifier / speakers :(

That's why we have to add "extra margin" to account for component tolerances between units.

Hi John,
Looks like i need a new cd player as my pink triangle litaural has started to die after nearly 20 years of great trouble free service. I'm on the list for m and t-dacs.
Any advice re new cd player-
Should I go for stand alone transport(optical /coaxial /balanced?). Is it worth hunting down a player with clock lock function like my old litaural?.
I see audio lab have a transport out-is it likely to be good enough for the mdac2?
Or is a any cheap cd/ dvd player with digital out good enough?
At the other end of the transport world there are the likes of the cyrus signature -any thoughts would be much appreciated,
cheers.

I've not seen the Audiolab CD transport - but I'm sure it will do (although it does not seem to have a display). I could add a clocklock option for "perfect performance" then I suggest using optical for Galvanic isolation.

I've not seen the Audiolab CD transport - but I'm sure it will do (although it does not seem to have a display). I could add a clocklock option for "perfect performance" then I suggest using optical for Galvanic isolation.

The MDAC will be able to display the track info etc. So I guess the lack of display on the transport is ok.

Tempted to get M-CDT and test with the MDAC.

Sorry guys, still feeling under the weather, atleast the fevers under control with heavy doses of Nurofen, but not up to sitting at the computer or working on the lab bench... I'm going to try and buildup the rack cabinets in the lab, fairly manual labour without much thought required...

Regarding CD Transport, one of the best ever made is on the Bay for literal peanuts - the Tag McLaren DVD32FLR (ex £3500)!

I have one, but it's not mine on there ;-)

Arguably, the difference between my OPPO BDP-103 vs DVD33FLR is small, Tag seems subtly more focused...I may part with the Tag one day to free up some rack space, unless the MDAC2 shows more gap!

Plenty of whisky, been keeping it for the completion of the PCB - so its been building up!

Tetleys tea bags if I not being to bold :)

Sadly too dangerous, low phase margins will case the system to go unstable into capacitive loads - which can fry your amplifier / speakers :(

Thanks, John - please don't mind my rambling on, unhampered by any expertise :)...

How about a "flip-flop" block in the tweaking circuit that pushes the margin way back into safe territory once it senses oscillation coming on due to user tuning.

Cheers, get well soon!

I would be most interested to know that too please - it definitely has SyncLink output!

Someone from AVForums took his DVD32R (top loading version) to a high end audio shop last year and said it was noticeably better than a top end NAIM transport into a DAC !? Reckoned we hadnt given Tag McLaren enough credit in the day for their £4500 F1 device

Does the DVD32FLR clock lock with the MDAC ti33er/John?

cheers
Martin

Martin,

Welcome to the MDAC2 project :)

For a Transport for the MDAC2 I recommend waiting until we have the Oppo modification PCB as this will allow Bit perfect DSD extraction from the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back