advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear John,

thanks for the fast reply!

Yes ekranoplan - I built and flight tested an 1/18th scale PAR WIGEC/ekranoplan around the hatfield Poly main hall back in 1991. Same venue Sting and Police played many years ago. T'was electrically powered and of course tethered but achieved 88 km/h about 1/2m off the deck!

Have PM'd back but I think your inbox is full?

Hi John

Been looking into ESLs recently since reading your praise of the technology here - but these QUAD 989 are HUGE...so also been peering into the MartinLogan ranges, of which there are many MANY models, old and new!?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the sweet spot of the MartinLogan models, in your opinion to mate with the MDAC2, maybe just your shout as 'budget' vs 'mid' vs 'high-end' of these ML variety ...or are they all good, it's just dependant on room size etc?

For someone new to the tech and doing some research it's quite a lot to investigate.

Also, any price 'finger-in-the-air' for the 8200MB JFETs?

Many thanks

Paul

Ps. My current option has been getting Aktiv with my LINN MAJIK 140 (Tag McLaren amplifiers with bespoke Active Crosssover), but it's a lot of cables and amplifiers of which I possess already in prep, although S I M P L I C I T Y is also making me think twice now :-(

Silly money ( I know it depends but ...) CLX's are the range toppers

Then there are the Summit X. New circa 13K
(which I've picked up for just over half this price)
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/summitx
I'll let you know once I get them tomorrow :)

And John was raving about these Electromotion series which are far more attainable. Circa 2.5K - 3K http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/index.php

The new amps a Vfets btw ... I'll let John answer the remaining query.

ti33er.

I can also vouch for Magnepans - at least the 1.7s / the MC1s (you'll need subs) / the 12s (or better wait for the new version which will be called 0.7). S/h they cost from 600£ (Magnepan 12 + MC1) and around 1600£ (Magnepan 1.7s).

I think that John will make a more affordable set of amps after he has completed the limited run of Vfets. These scaled down amps will benefit from the technological advances John makes while "comjuring up" the VFETS.

Kind regards,
Peter

Some say the Montis is the sweet spot in the ML range. The main difference between it and the £3K-dearer Summit is that it lacks the Summit's passive radiator. The integration of the panel and active woofer in the Montis is superb.

I'm currently running MDAC "Toy" > Sanders Magtech power amp > ML Montis. Divine!

Also worth considering the Sanders series 10 ESLs. They're very well regarded.

989s are huge? Well I guess most people would think so, at least initially. It's strange though, I used 989s for more than 10 years and after a while I didn't think they were that imposing. I'm currently planning on making the ER Audio Acorns which are 2 metres tall, albeit much narrower than the 989s.

No passive radiators in the summits.

Both bass drivers in each speaker are separately actively driven, each by its own 200W amp

John,

I would like to get myself a nice christmas present. Can you put me down for three slave DACs? :D

We can sort out the case options (salvaged unit, full size case with psu, ...) later.

Michael

Michael,

Wow - thank you for that :), we are going to have great fun developing and playing with the complete system :)

So 3 Slave MDAC's and one master (so 8 audio channels)? or 1 Master + 2 slaves (6 Audio channels)?

Today a first sample of the MDAC2 Slave / TDAC chassis arrived - with a bit of work it will meet our requirements :) I still worry about quality issues with the chassis - it would be impossible to return them too China... I'm going to add 10% to the chassis cost - this way we order 10% extra and and "Pick and Match" any defective mechanical parts.

Have PM'd back but I think your inbox is full?

I have your PM, give me a day to reply as you asked many questions and I'd like to complete a PCB section I'm working on :) (Close to completing the ESS Analogue PSU section) - then lastly the ESS's Digital section PSU then the Right hand channel is completed :)

I remain totally baffled by all the technical talk about different versions, resistors, slaves etc. All I know is that I want to upgrade my current MDAC to provide the best sound possible for the "right" price. So, for us simple folks (and I am presuming there are others out there!) could you please go back to basics for a mo?

1) Will you require my old unit back or will you be sending out a DIY install PCB?
2) Do I need to confirm the requirement for an L2
3) Will there be anything more to pay (not even sure if I am fully paid up!)
4) What happens next :) Will I hear from you when shipping is starting?

Told you it was basic! Unfortunately these threads are so long and complex that it has become nigh-on impossible t find the basic information.

Thanks

Dont worry about all the technical talk, I'm aware your only interest is the "best performance" DAC for audio.

For the premium Sound quality version I recommend the L2 (or L3 if you require ADC inputs) with the Fusion resistors option. Once we completed the development I can advise on the total PCB cost with the Fusion option.

The Extra "Fusion" resistors are sold at cost - we don't make extra on the premium versions.

I remain totally baffled by all the technical talk about different versions, resistors, slaves etc. All I know is that I want to upgrade my current MDAC to provide the best sound possible for the "right" price. So, for us simple folks (and I am presuming there are others out there!) could you please go back to basics for a mo?

1) Will you require my old unit back or will you be sending out a DIY install PCB?

If you feel competent you can swap the PCB yourself - we will post a Youtube video with step by step instructions + provide a Torx Screw driver with the PCB to aid disassembly of your unit.

If you fell uncomfortable with performing a home "DIY" upgrade, then you can send your MDAC to us in Czech Rep. (at no extra cost asides from the increased shipping cost).

2) Do I need to confirm the requirement for an L2

Once I've completed the next stage of the project I'm just in the final process of completing (issuing the Analogue PCB files for Prototype production) then we will Email everyone on the MDAC2 list and request those who have decided upon the L2/L3 version for the next development payment (the final payment for L2 version).

3) Will there be anything more to pay (not even sure if I am fully paid up!)

For those who have decided on the L1 option then there are no more development payments due - only the funds for the "PCB at cost".

For L2 / L3 options then we will request these payments when we meet our design targets, an extra GBP100 development payment for L2 (and finally an extra for GBP100 for L3).

4) What happens next :) Will I hear from you when shipping is starting?

Once the development is completed and we progress to production then we will request the funds for "PCB At Cost" - this is used to fund the production of the PCB's and shipping etc. We don't make profit on the PCB - they are sold at cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back