advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the XLR connection of the mdac2 be superior to the RCA or is there also a benefit of the new output stage for the RCA?

With the MDAC1, its Balanced output is compromised for the sake of the Single ended RCA output - and yet single-ended signalling (relying on an unbalanced ground return) is a floored concept, so performance has been compromised to support a poor "standard"

the MDAC2 designs optimises its performance of the balanced, yet significant effort has been made to insure the RCA Single Ended output has not much to be ashamed off.

With the balanced output you have in effect a simpler analogue path.

Would you recommend a XLR-RCA converter?

I cannot see any external Balanced to SE solution being better then the MDAC2's internal design.

The MDAC2's signal path in balanced mode is technically elegant and simple yet "beautiful" :) (says the designer) :)

Recent tests of the MDAC2 design with balanced operation achieved -132dB Dynamic range, I expect about -134dB to -135dB with the final PCB, this is the industry's highest performance DAC.

SE was nearer 125dB (still extremely good - but its a shame to now you could have better results with Balanced operation).

Regarding the miniXLR connector discussion - it seems that what I thought of as Switchcraft are actually some noname connectors (which look exactly the same on the outside), so disregard my comments on Switchcraft being low quality.

John, did you buy your sample as "real" Switchcraft (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=371110860109) or without the name (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=291042186346)? .. The latter is much cheaper (price). Does your Switchcraft have the Neutrik-like "cable leads" (the ones that fill with solder) or just contacts with holes (like cheap jack plugs)?

Thanks,
Jiri

Jiri,

I bought "real" Switchcraft connectors from Farnell, with "Bucket type" solder posts... they really feel well made, leagues higher quality then RCA type connectors.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
One of the features on M-DAC2 is the ADC > USB option.

Is there any technical reason that stops an M-DAC 1 sending SPDIF to a PC via USB?

Hi,

Apart from this task main line.
After someone stole my macbook pro using audirvana.... i bought a PC. Then i've got a question...

What is a good windows software/drivers couple to use MDAC thru usb ? (at first i want to ask for "the best" but it could lead to endless discussions)
Does anyone knows if there's a solution to play using linux with 3.13+ kernel without cracks ?

Best regards,

For me it's as follows:

Win 8.1 x64 (core), foobar2000 with WASAPI output plugin (foo_out_wasapi), as an output device use: "WASAPI (event) : Speakers (Audiolab M-DAC)", decent quality USB cable pluged to Intel controlled usb port on PC

Always use latest intel drivers for USB controllers!

Note that I have Intel based PC: i7 CPU on Z77 motherboard.

One of the features on M-DAC2 is the ADC > USB option.

Is there any technical reason that stops an M-DAC 1 sending SPDIF to a PC via USB?

The Basic problem is that there is a fairly basic oversight in the original USB1 audio Spec. in that it does not allow the "Device" in our case the MDAC1 to request a recording sampling rate - it has to be manually configured by the PC - this is not convenient when the PC is unaware of the input source sampling rate.

Due to this complication, we have decided not to devote effort in enabling SPDIF input to USB conversion feature - we would only be inundated by frustrated owners when they encounter the issue...

This oversight has been corrected in the USB2 audio standard - So MDAC2 will support Bi-directional Audio streaming over USB.

Hi,

Apart from this task main line.
After someone stole my macbook pro using audirvana.... i bought a PC. Then i've got a question...

What is a good windows software/drivers couple to use MDAC thru usb ? (at first i want to ask for "the best" but it could lead to endless discussions)
Does anyone knows if there's a solution to play using linux with 3.13+ kernel without cracks ?

Best regards,

Hluga,

The MDAC uses Windows Native device drivers...

For the record, sadly due to the recent actions at this time I will not accept requests for MDAC2 shipments directly or indirectly to Russia - any payments received will be returned.

While this situation very much saddens me, I feel that its morally important to make a stance against such actions.

For the record, sadly due to the recent actions at this time I will not accept requests for MDAC2 shipments directly or indirectly to Russia - any payments received will be returned.

While this situation very much saddens me, I feel that its morally important to make a stance against such actions.

Thank you, John! People of Ukraine appreciate your support.

Great John and very much supported by myself!

/Lars

The Basic problem is that there is a fairly basic oversight in the original USB1 audio Spec. in that it does not allow the "Device" in our case the MDAC1 to request a recording sampling rate - it has to be manually configured by the PC - this is not convenient when the PC is unaware of the input source sampling rate.

Due to this complication, we have decided not to devote effort in enabling SPDIF input to USB conversion feature - we would only be inundated by frustrated owners when they encounter the issue...

This oversight has been corrected in the USB2 audio standard - So MDAC2 will support Bi-directional Audio streaming over USB.

Thanks for the reply.

100% support you on this. Russian behavior over the Ukraine is appalling and it is saddening that the UK and Europe are looking towards their bank balance and self interest rather than Russian aggression.

With the MDAC1, its Balanced output is compromised for the sake of the Single ended RCA output - and yet single-ended signalling (relying on an unbalanced ground return) is a floored concept, so performance has been compromised to support a poor "standard"
).

John
My limited understanding is that one of the main reasons a fully balanced audio circuit is superior is because of common mode noise rejection - have I got that right? And yet you still read marketing blurb accompanying single ended hi fi gear that asserts that the designer deliberately chose that format because of the superior sound. Is this just marketing BS, or is there a credible school of thought to support SE being inherently better?
Ian

it is saddening that the UK and Europe are looking towards their bank balance and self interest rather than Russian aggression.

Totally uncalled for.
Having just lost a little under 200 countrymen due to the violence, I'm sure we have other priorities.

Sorry, just had to react

Johan

Of course I agree with all of you on this.
But on the other hand, the common citizen is hardly responsible for political decisions. You may possibly be 'punishing' just another hifi and music lover that happens to live in Russia.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back