advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uwe,

Spectral's "VMOS-FET" Refers to the Vertical MOSFET structure output devices , not to Sonys VFET.

I'll use Vertical MOSFET's for the current dumping stage - but the ClassA stage is VFET :)

Great news :)

I probably need to go back and re-read some of this thread, but just quickly, re the amps, is there going to be any kind of trigger link from the MDAC2 to take them in/out of standby, or will it be necessary to power them off when not in use? I'm just thinking of the component life.

There will be both options 12V trigger (for systems without MDAC) & a more advanced MDAC's Comm's link.

I could also add a "Music detect / Auto standby" feature, but worry about any potential impact on SQ - maybe I can design it to be switched out of the circuit of not used...

Spoke with IAG today, and MB's will be shipped next week.

It's nice to be able to play something from the iPhone or iPad in an instant.
Not so much for a long listening session, but just to show some music or album to someone that is not in Hifi in the same way most of us are (here in pfm).

And please, please, don't strip out the Optical SPDIF inputs.
:)

Michael

Dont worry :) :-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 rear panel conector arrangement.jpg

On the left of the USB -B conector you can see the x4 optical connectors, Two optical inputs + Optical output & Optical ClockLock output

I could also add a "Music detect / Auto standby" feature, but worry about any potential impact on SQ - maybe I can design it to be switched out of the circuit of not used...

Oh, if you're using a comms link to do this then that's fine by me :)
I'd classify "music detect" as nice to have, but not essential.

Ok I wrongly assumed it was all part of the bits you were keeping , transformer and part of the gubbins that switch it on. I'll keep my assumptions to myself whoops.

Ok I wrongly assumed it was all part of the bits you were keeping , transformer and part of the gubbins that switch it on. I'll keep my assumptions to myself whoops.

Phil,

No problem :) - it s a completely new design (The signal detect circuit is mounted on the original PCB) - I'll just be reusing the Chassis, connectors, heatsink & transformer etc.

Ok, I understand. Thanks, John!

Uwe,

Spectral's "VMOS-FET" Refers to the Vertical MOSFET structure output devices , not to Sonys VFET.

I'll use Vertical MOSFET's for the current dumping stage - but the ClassA stage is VFET :)

There will be both options 12V trigger (for systems without MDAC) & a more advanced MDAC's Comm's link.

Spoke with IAG today, and MB's will be shipped next week.

I always switch every thing off at the wall so auto stand by is not important to me especially if it has a negative effect on SQ.
But 12v trigger and MDAC comm's link would be nice.

Well a nice little package arrived today :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFET x15 Pairs.JPG

With x30 more pairs on there way over :)

I performed a quick test on a Semiconductor analyser and indeed they appear as power JFET's :) its really exciting to work with such a unique devices.

I've been offered 60 pairs of lower power devices - I can see a future TDAC with VFET output stage if these work as well as claimed in the Power Amps :)

Well a nice little package arrived today :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFET x15 Pairs.JPG

With x30 more pairs on there way over :)

I performed a quick test on a Semiconductor analyser and indeed they appear as power JFET's :) its really exciting to work with such a unique devices.

I've been offered 60 pairs of lower power devices - I can see a future TDAC with VFET output stage if these work as well as claimed in the Power Amps :)

Daft I know, but for some reason I expected them to look exotic.
(If word of their rarity/value gets around, there'll be a production line soon in China with tons of obsolete power transistors, gallons of carbon tetrachloride and carefully faked Sony stencils........:eek: )

With the DSP versions we can add LPF subwoofer output via the digital output.

And a HPF on the other outputs so we can tweak the crossover to our hearts content?

Dont want my mains trying to play the lovely low stuff that the sub has taken over...

With the DSP versions we can add LPF subwoofer output via the digital output.
This would save me some work over having to build a analog lowpass filter but i think i will have the bass in stereo.

BTW: i do not really see anything wrong in using analog active XO, if you are worried about SQ degradation you can always buy the vishey Z-foil resistors and since there already is 33 resistors used in the mdac2(if i remember correctly) adding 2...4 per channel should not make any difference.

Daft I know, but for some reason I expected them to look exotic.
(If word of their rarity/value gets around, there'll be a production line soon in China with tons of obsolete power transistors, gallons of carbon tetrachloride and carefully faked Sony stencils........:eek: )

Luckily, there is nothing that measures similar to them - so no re-badging of "cheaper" devices.

I was curious as to how they would measure - my "intelligent" curve tracer identified the Nch parts as JFET's, but had a problem with the Pch parts which it could not "identify"... I guess they had no considered VFET parts when they designed the "semiconductor analyser".

I manually measured the Pch parts and they are OK :)

Here's the internal's of the lower power single die version, that I'm considering using in a SE version of the TDAC:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/sony-vfet-642x336.jpg

And the higher power devices I'll be using on the Power Amps (note the dual die):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/2sk82opensm.jpg

The TO3 Metal package is pretty "exotic" for me, rarely seen these days of plastic body power devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back