advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connector arrangement on the lower Analogue PCB:-

Stereo Balanced Headphone output - 5W Miniature Male XLR

Hi John, I understand that the rear panel is hard pressed for space. The original design (as on the wiki) was for a 4Way Female XLR balanced headphone connection:- 1 left +, 2 left -, 3 right +, 4 right -, (Shell Ground), which is sort of an unofficial standard used by many headphone amp manufacturers. I guess since you are going with a miniXLR, may as well use a 5-pin connector for a proper pin to be used for ground, and to revert to the standard where output is male XLR.

In case if space miraculously appears for any of the miniXLR to be upgraded to full-sized XLR, please consider the balanced headphone out.

Leon

Still really not decided if we will include the original idea of BT on L2 and wireless USB on L3 units now that we have a streamer solution - I'll consider everyone's feedback on this...

I like the idea of dropping Bluetooth from MDAC2 L2. I prefer as simple as possible DAC without any unnecessary and possible disruptive elements. The attenuator is a must though. That is why I am planning to go for L2 instead of L1.

From my experience, if you like to have flash media support in a system without connected keyboard and mouse, you have much more offers within WinTel.

Admittedly I know little abut Linux, but I would have thought that almost all embedded system operate with Linux - Flash Media just appears as a data storage device no different to HDD / SDD, the system cares little about the physical form of the Drive.

And if you want to have pure DSD transmission (and not DSD over PCM), my understanding is that you need WinTel also.

Again, its purely down to software - are you certain the Linux cannot support DIFF files (it would be very odd, as its just a basic file type).

If you are flexible with the ingredients (streamer, CD-Transport, HQ-PSU ) of the second MDAC housing, is it possible to offer just CD-Transport with HQ-PSU?

A standalone CD solution would be a totally different design mechanically and electrically from a Streamer solution - for a CD solution we would use the Metal body Car Mech, while for the streamer we would use a "Laptop" type drive just to extract the data.

Didn't you say for HDMI you have to spend thousands of $ just for the licence?

Yes indeed this is the case, however HDMI is part of the module - already pre licensed.

I like the idea of dropping Bluetooth from MDAC2 L2. I prefer as simple as possible DAC without any unnecessary and possible disruptive elements. The attenuator is a must though. That is why I am planning to go for L2 instead of L1.

John,

As the L4 design is to be repackaged could you please consider including the 20dB attenuation into the L1 design? Am I right to think the costs/features ATM are (for Toy/Fusion MDAC owners):-

1. MDAC2 L1 £250-300 FPGA filters, dual ESS9018, RCA AV bypass, XLR headphones, Toy resistors, DSD/DXD (embedded PCM), galvanically isolated USB Audio Class 2 up to 32bit/768kHz
  2. MDAC2 L2 £400-450 L1 + DSP, bluetooth, 20dB attenuator, advanced clock, ASRC free SPDIF
  3. MDAC2 L3 £550-600 L2 + DSD/DXD ADC, preamp/RIAA EQ, USB wireless, word clock/video clock sync
  4. MDAC2 L4 £??? streamer
+ shipping + fusion option + donor MDAC £370

For MDAC owners with no previous upgrade + £300 development costs.

Did you mean bluetooth and wireless functions will be removed from L2 and L3 and be added to L4?

Many thanks

John,
Re: VFET MB, Many thanks for the detailed reply, it sounds great (excuse the pun)! Will it borrow the power supply fully from the 8200MB? Does that include a protection circuitry?
Tony

Hi John, I understand that the rear panel is hard pressed for space. The original design (as on the wiki) was for a 4Way Female XLR balanced headphone connection:- 1 left +, 2 left -, 3 right +, 4 right -, (Shell Ground), which is sort of an unofficial standard used by many headphone amp manufacturers. I guess since you are going with a miniXLR, may as well use a 5-pin connector for a proper pin to be used for ground, and to revert to the standard where output is male XLR.

In case if space miraculously appears for any of the miniXLR to be upgraded to full-sized XLR, please consider the balanced headphone out.

Leon

Leon,

:) Yes your totally correct on all points - personally I'd prefer the full size XLR just to make life easier - but really there is just no height clearance between the PCB layers to have connectors mounted above each other (on each board) - if space allows, I'm also considering mounting a separate shielding layer between the boards on the higher end versions - the full size XLR's pretty much butts against the above mounted digital PCB.

I've placed the Analogue output XLR's at each end of the PCB - so that the digital board is mounted between them...

John,
Re: VFET MB, Many thanks for the detailed reply, it sounds great (excuse the pun)! Will it borrow the power supply fully from the 8200MB? Does that include a protection circuitry?
Tony

Tony,

I hope to use the transformer from the 8200MB's that's about all... the design will use DNM's 4 pole TCaps in the PSU section.

Yes, the design will include full OPS protection - it has too otherwise I'll have blown units returning back from all 4 corners of the world...

John,

As the L4 design is to be repackaged could you please consider including the 20dB attenuation into the L1 design? Am I right to think the costs/features ATM are (for Toy/Fusion MDAC owners):-

1. MDAC2 L1 £250-300 FPGA filters, dual ESS9018, RCA AV bypass, XLR headphones, Toy resistors, DSD/DXD (embedded PCM), galvanically isolated USB Audio Class 2 up to 32bit/768kHz
  2. MDAC2 L2 £400-450 L1 + DSP, bluetooth, 20dB attenuator, advanced clock, ASRC free SPDIF
  3. MDAC2 L3 £550-600 L2 + DSD/DXD ADC, preamp/RIAA EQ, USB wireless, word clock/video clock sync
  4. MDAC2 L4 £??? streamer
+ shipping + fusion option + donor MDAC £370

For MDAC owners with no previous upgrade + £300 development costs.

Did you mean bluetooth and wireless functions will be removed from L2 and L3 and be added to L4?

Many thanks

JamJar,

The analogue attenuator is costly on the BOM (extra relays, PP film Caps and Vishay Bulk foil resistors), its already going to be exceeding hard to meet the cost target for the L1 unit - and please also consider that I need to live, it costs time & money to develop these features - you can plainly see how much time I've spent developing this project :)

The Advanced clock option of the L2/L3 is also significant in SQ terms.

Is there any disadvantages to using DoP for compatibility? It is just a data packaging convention that doesn't alter the bits in any way.

Agreed - it really doesn't matter how the DSD is package, so long as it remains bit accurate.

Not sure that I like the idea of moving agreed functionality of the L3 version to what is now becoming a totally independent L4 version. If you do not want the L4 version you have lost the functionality. This constant moving of goal posts to satisfy just one or two people is a bit of a concern.

Just to be clear here - its ME who's first suggest that Bt / USB streaming might be dropped from L2 / L3 - only because they would be duplicated on the streamer - and having multiple 2.4GHz transmitters within the same confined area is not a good thing - No decision has yet been made - I like the idea of BT streaming / Wireless USB - if space allows (and cost come within budget).

I may have been interested in the MDAC2L4 version but as a separate box probably not.

Yes, I liked the idea of an integrated solution (single box) - but looking at the rear panel space and I'd have to remove almost all of the "standard" digital I/O's to mace space for the Streamers I/O ports that it would effectively cripple the DAC in "standard DAC mode".

The MDAC chassis is the limiting factor.

Also the streamer would have required a separated external PSU, this can be integrated into the streamers chassis.

Maybe at a later date we can combine both units into a single larger chassis, a little like Lego, owners could transpose there internal boards and PSU into this new Chassis.

If you are flexible with the ingredients (streamer, CD-Transport, HQ-PSU ) of the second MDAC housing, is it possible to offer just CD-Transport with HQ-PSU?

A standalone CD solution would be a totally different design mechanically and electrically from a Streamer solution - for a CD solution we would use the Metal body Car Mech, while for the streamer we would use a "Laptop" type drive just to extract the data.

Are you saying you will offer a streamer / Cd- Transport (with a laptop type drive) and the MTRN (with Metal body Car Mech)?
Or is the MTRN dead with upcoming Streamer / Cd-Transport?

Ok, but Bluetooth is not, I suppose. ;)

Bluetooth was there to add a rudimentary method of streaming to the MDAC2 in this modern world... it was never going to be HiFi! Now with the option of the streamer we can do the job correctly.

I still like the idea of the Wireless 44.1KHz USB (I'd rather have this option then the BT if one had to go) as the Wireless USB would be bit accurate (44.1Khz 16 bits) so at least it can be considered HiFi :)

Are you saying you will offer a streamer / Cd- Transport (with a laptop type drive) and the MTRN (with Metal body Car Mech)?
Or is the MTRN dead with upcoming Streamer / Cd-Transport?

MTRN would be dropped if we released the streamer - there would be little cost difference between them, each would extract the Data Bit perfect.

I'd rather spend our resources developing the chassis tooling on a streamer + optical drive then just a CD unit, the CD would have no advantages over the streamer.

MTRN would be dropped if we released the streamer -.. each would extract the Data Bit perfect.

OK, I can understand you decision regarding MTRN <-> Streamer.
and the Streamer / CD-T is running with the MDAC2 master clock?

But what's about the "Metal body Car Mech" you seams to be proud of.

Its the cd player mechanism that is used inside the unit.. Very high quality part going from previous discussions around it.

Its the cd player mechanism that is used inside the unit.. Very high quality part going from previous discussions around it.

;-)
I know what this "Metal body Car Mech" is for.
Because of that I asked if John will drop this high class mechanism for a cheap laptop mechanism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back