advertisement

MBL

I've not heard the MBLs but they are undoubtedly the most Genesis Devicey speaker I've seen.

320x240.jpg

Probably not safe to keep in the home, especially if some egomaniacal super man is visiting and he's trying to settle the score for some little mistake you made years ago.

Joe

Heard the full on MBL system at Munich. What can I say...

Unbelievably average sounding. I really cannot understand what the fuss is about. :confused:

Certainly not awful, but completely underwhelming. And ugly beyond belief, it takes true marketing genius to make such lack of taste desirable (to others, obviously).

Ya, the looks are hideous. Looks like the pod an alien would be born from. If he were a commercial rap artist.

Heard the full on MBL system at Munich. What can I say...

Unbelievably average sounding. I really cannot understand what the fuss is about. :confused:

Certainly not awful, but completely underwhelming. And ugly beyond belief, it takes true marketing genius to make such lack of taste desirable (to others, obviously).

The you tube video highlights exactly what I heard from a friend who had a top flight MBL system; monoblocks driving their omnidirectional speakers.

It sounded like a heard of elephants rumbling across the room, the bass was big, fat & boomy (or rumbly) which not only overswamped the mids & highs but sounded slow as well.

There are a hell lot of other systems that can do better with a lot less money!!! In my humble opinion of course. ;)

walked into mbl room at munich show once left after 30seconds hifi not mucical
Three years ago I had the opportunity to listen to the system alone for over half an hour with my own music and it gave me a complete other impression than when I went there several times during the show time.
The high frequencies were a bit accentuated (slightly sharp) and in general the instruments were slightly over dimensioned but the rest was really great.
If someone would put so much time in optimizing that system as he does at home with his own equipment, I do believe, that these negative aspects could be resolved. People just forget that these systems are quickly put together and the optimization is far less than what anyone does for his system.
This year I didn't bother much about that mbl system because I had other priorities but next year I will agin ask for a personal demo with my music.

It sounded like a heard of elephants rumbling across the room, the bass was big, fat & boomy (or rumbly) which not only overswamped the mids & highs but sounded slow as well.

There are a hell lot of other systems that can do better with a less money!!! In my humble opinion of course. ;)
I would first like to see the room of your friend. Often people just forget about or ignore room acoustics.

The you tube video highlights exactly what I heard from a friend who had a top flight MBL system; monoblocks driving their omnidirectional speakers.

There are a hell lot of other systems that can do better with a less money!!! In my humble opinion of course. ;)

The bass doesnt sound boomy to me .. Maybe you need to check your Dell speakers ;) It sounds big and large yes but commesurate to a full scale orchestra sound, something that very very few speakers/systems can do. In fact the bass on the 116 is reputed to be quite lean. Sounds like your friend picked the wrong position for the wrong kit in the wrong room.

ES14's are a classic. Why can't they produce anything that good in this day & age???

A classic ? A classic in a nostalgic rose tinted flat-earth english sorta PFM way I suppose. But a world class classic .... I think not.

I had a set yonks ago when they first came out. They forced you to play Alex de grassi and Sting all the time and any other midrangey dem room type music :) I moved onto SBL fairly swiftly and even they were chock full of flaws.

one of my good friends, a vet in Hawaii, owns an all mbl system, cabling is all synergistic research and MIT. he upgrades every year or something stupid.

a classic "im wealthy look at my wang" system. that isn't so bad in and of itself. some people measure their self worth by material possessions, money,etc..BUT

sound was underwhelming. the bass is nondescript/muddy, the source localization is not at all precise, etc

Had your friend done any room treatment? Those are the sort of effects you normally ascribe to the room.

Image localisation/solidity never seems to be a strong point of omni type speakers (not really surprising). Also, having set up systems in a couple of genuinely big rooms (as required for these big MBL's), they seem to suffer from quite different bass anomalies than more conservatively proportioned spaces.

walked into mbl room at munich show once left after 30seconds hifi not mucical
I stuck it out a little longer to hear what all the fuss was about but ended up leaving underwhelmed after a short listen - all artificial fizz and tizz. In fact this was symptomatic of most of the exhibits I heard, very disappointing and reassuring in the same measure. It wasn't helped by the crap that most exhibitors used to demonstrate their products.

Teddy,

one of my good friends, a vet in Hawaii, owns an all mbl system, cabling is all synergistic research and MIT. he upgrades every year or something stupid.

a classic "im wealthy look at my wang" system.
Does your good friend read this forum?

Joe

Teddy,

Does your good friend read this forum?

Joe

I hope so! :D I give him shit all the time about it anyway. He laughs at me because he knows im right. :p

he will readily admit to buying because he can, not because it offers any SQ benefit. He is long aware that there is no price/quality correlation...but like a typical rich person, he cant help but buy fancy toys. I have a rather brutal nickname for him based on all that that I wont repeat here. :) Ive always given him shit because he grew up a rich boy. Tried to beat acting like one out of him but its in his DNA

advertisement

Back