advertisement

MBL

LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS Hifi
crikey .... crappy youtube but you can kinda tell this this sounds midnblowing

Last edited by a moderator:
errrrrrrr.... are they Summits ? I've heard them, they didn't make it to the shortlist :)

Hifi flattering music as well. Even a 3020/Diamonds sounds amazing playing some solo acoustic. ;)

It does give the impression that the sound is/was very good. How can it possibly do that through compressed audio and my tiny Dell PC speakers?

That question is probably the most interesting thing said here in a long time and deserve a thread all of it's own.

Along the same lines:
Why does live music on my TV (crappy speakers in flat panel) sound more "real" than many recordings* through my main rig?

*I think "recordings" is the key!

Along the same lines:
Why does live music on my TV (crappy speakers in flat panel) sound more "real" than many recordings*

Because you can see the performers and your mind fills in the gaps. It's psychoacoustics again. I think that you can "kinda tell it sounds fabulous" because it looks great and you want it to. Ferraris look like they are doing 100mph when they have the handbrake on. It's the same thing.

It does give the impression that the sound is/was very good. How can it possibly do that through compressed audio and my tiny Dell PC speakers?

Don't think about it too hard. I didn't post it up to start another infantile techno-aspergers-war.

It just sounds good. You can tell it has acres and acres of space and enourmous weight and dynamics, not the overblown fake kind with booming bass and lean over-etched detail but true life-sized natural heft ... I bet it was amazing in real life.... leave it at that. :)

MBL101black.jpg

I just can't get around the tacky cell phone bling on the base unit. Ditch the gold feet, tips on the grills and port rings, maybe face the cabinet in walnut veener and stop fighting the wonderful alien-pod look from the fifities the design naturally achieves with its form.

Why do folks insist on lipsticking something that doesn't need it?

Don't think about it too hard. I didn't post it up to start another infantile techno-aspergers-war.

It just sounds good. You can tell it has acres and acres of space and enourmous weight and dynamics, not the overblown fake kind with booming bass and lean over-etched detail but true life-sized natural heft ... I bet it was amazing in real life.... leave it at that. :)

In that case I suggest you get yourself some Dell pc speakers and give up your hifi merry-go-round.

You can't tell anything at all regarding sound quality from that YouTube clip - it always makes me laugh when people post such.

However, I've heard MBL's quite a few times (including those in the vid) and I do really like them. Having said that, I've always heard them with MBL's own vast monster amps (the ones with the huge, ridiculous gauche, MBL badge on the top) and they have always been demonstrated well clear of any wall (more of a short walk to the nearest wall in fact).

I just can't get around the tacky cell phone bling on the base unit. Ditch the gold feet, tips on the grills and port rings, maybe face the cabinet in walnut veener and stop fighting the wonderful alien-pod look from the fifities the design naturally achieves with its form.

Why do folks insist on lipsticking something that doesn't need it?

Essentially, I agree.

one of my good friends, a vet in Hawaii, owns an all mbl system, cabling is all synergistic research and MIT. he upgrades every year or something stupid.

a classic "im wealthy look at my wang" system. that isn't so bad in and of itself. some people measure their self worth by material possessions, money,etc..BUT

sound was underwhelming. the bass is nondescript/muddy, the source localization is not at all precise, etc

and so it goes with pretty much every "hifi" brand ive ever heard. they tend to ignore well established principles/science in favor of the mystical.

exceptions ive found are ATC, Adam, PMC, B+W, and others who not only serve the Hifi community but the pro audio folks as well(they tend not to suffer BS/magick gladly)

one of my good friends, a vet in Hawaii, owns an all mbl system, cabling is all synergistic research and MIT. he upgrades every year or something stupid.

a classic "im wealthy look at my wang" system. that isn't so bad in and of itself. some people measure their self worth by material possessions, money,etc..BUT

Some people measure their self worth through possessions, others through posts on an audio/music forum. Live and let live I say.

sound was underwhelming. the bass is nondescript/muddy, the source localization is not at all precise, etc

and so it goes with pretty much every "hifi" brand ive ever heard. they tend to ignore well established principles/science in favor of the mystical.

exceptions ive found are ATC, Adam, PMC, B+W, and others who not only serve the Hifi community but the pro audio folks as well(they tend not to suffer BS/magick gladly)

Hifi brands ignore science - how do they even work then!

I love PFM, it's so provincial ... endearing you could say.

Reminds me a LOT of the old mazda MX5 forum where folk would log in every day just to slap eachother's backs and prove to one another that a mk1 Miata was better handling and more fun than a Ferrari Scuderia.

If Jack Torrance saw your axe, he'd be scared sh1tless ! :D

Heard the full on MBL system at Munich. What can I say...

Unbelievably average sounding. I really cannot understand what the fuss is about. :confused:

Certainly not awful, but completely underwhelming. And ugly beyond belief, it takes true marketing genius to make such lack of taste desirable (to others, obviously).

advertisement

Back