advertisement

Mattress recommendations

Quite liking the look of this one…

All existing criteria, turnable, and quite chonky at 31cm.

Make sure you specify everything you want them to do when you order. I rang them. When I got mine, I forgot to mention that I actually wanted them to get it out of the wrapper and put it on the base, and remove all the packing, so I had to bribe the installers to do it!

Make sure you specify everything you want them to do when you order. I rang them. When I got mine, I forgot to mention that I actually wanted them to get it out of the wrapper and put it on the base, and remove all the packing, so I had to bribe the installers to do it!

Yes, I’ll have to do a bit of negotiation as there is no easy front access to my property and the load-in is a fair walk along a path. Once in the house loading to the bedroom isn’t a huge issue, no problems with ceiling heights, stair dog-legs etc (just mountains of vinyl and CDs). It is just that initial walk. I’m happy enough to deal with the packaging, get it on the bed etc, I just couldn’t get it upstairs on my own. I nearly killed myself carrying a Wharfedale Sand Filled Baffle SFB/3 upstairs a few years ago so I’ve kind of learned my lesson (got about half-way up and everything went wrong… managed it eventually, but I wasn’t especially well afterwards)!

PS If anyone wants a Wharfedale SFB/3 for a low price let me know, I’d love to get rid of it! I’m never going to use it!

Yes, I’ll have to do a bit of negotiation as there is no easy front access to my property and the load-in is a fair walk along a path. Once in the house loading to the bedroom isn’t a huge issue, no problems with ceiling heights, stair dog-legs etc (just mountains of vinyl and CDs). It is just that initial walk. I’m happy enough to deal with the packaging, get it on the bed etc, I just couldn’t get it upstairs on my own. I nearly killed myself carrying a Wharfedale Sand Filled Baffle SFB/3 upstairs a few years ago so I’ve kind of learned my lesson (got about half-way up and everything went wrong… managed it eventually, but I wasn’t especially well afterwards)!

PS If anyone wants a Wharfedale SFB/3 for a low price let me know, I’d love to get rid of it! I’m never going to use it!
They'll be used to it. You can imagine these companies deal with thousands, and they're aware of all the pitfalls.

Quite liking the look of this one…

All existing criteria, turnable, and quite chonky at 31cm.

Just bought it. I’ve been driving myself nuts with option-paralysis. I think this should be pretty decent. It has a “Royal Warrant” and Charles is a right picky and arrogant twunt by all accounts, so it should be all right.

PS Deliver to room was an add-on cost, so they can’t complain about anything. I added the fact it is a walk down the terrace to the house in the notes, so they can’t complain about that either. Should get it tomorrow, which means I have to spend this evening hoovering so the house doesn’t look quite as much as a dusty antique-shop/record shop/hi-fi-shop storage area as usual. Who am I kidding, I can’t fix that! They’ll leave with ‘an impression’ for sure!

Simba hybrid mattress and pillows are my recommendation but you’d need to stretch the budget beyond £700. Worth it though. Check out their reviews which are fab

Three hours late, but it’s here! Very big and remarkably heavy. About twice the weight and thickness of the outgoing item (which is now thankfully gone). Managed to get it unbagged and on the bedframe ok, though it was a bit of a struggle. I’ll be able to turn/flip it ok, which the manual (apparently mattresses come with manuals, who knew?) suggests doing once a week for the first three months. I suspect I’ll get bored with that before then.

Three hours late, but it’s here! Very big and remarkably heavy. About twice the weight and thickness of the outgoing item (which is now thankfully gone). Managed to get it unbagged and on the bedframe ok, though it was a bit of a struggle. I’ll be able to turn/flip it ok, which the manual (apparently mattresses come with manuals, who knew?) suggests doing once a week for the first three months. I suspect I’ll get bored with that before then.
I hope you sleep well.

I don't know which is more of a pain, flip or turn -- they each have their own challenges. I'm glad I don't have a heavy one though.

Some friends of mine, in their mid 80s, decided to treat themselves to a very expensive mattress, same make as the best rooms in The Dorchester apparently. They said it'll be their last, so they want the best. Anyway, it's so heavy they couldn't possibly move it, and the have to pay the mattress company to visit every so often to do it for them.

Forget memory foam, and sprung. High quality foam and a quality topper is the best, it is the best thing for your back. Anyone who says you need a hard mattress is ignorant, including doctors (unless you were in traction).
We’ve had a Jenson Supreme Divan for getting on 20 years, for which we paid a lot of money, and we expect it to last another 5 at least. It is another league - like floating. But also not readily available in the UK now.
However I’m only saying this because a lot of those Jenson qualities can be had at a fraction of our near 6K original outlay with a Dunlopillo mattress as the basic principle is the same. The topper is very important.
But you’ve got to be prepared to pay a more than you mentioned ...
It’s a cliche but most people do spend up to 1/3 of their days in bed … even if only trying to get to sleep.
Search for Dunlopillo. Good luck.

Yes. I went to Which? and chose the cheapest recommended one which was pocket sprung, and easy to buy from a company which would carry it upstairs, and which had no foam. For me, foam is too hot.

I can't remember the brand, I can check later if you want @Tony L - though it was five or six years ago and no doubt Which? recommended brands have changed. Buying it was so easy - they came, delivered, installed and removed. One good thing is that it's quite light, so relatively easy to turn/flip.

When you first sleep on the new mattress you realise how terrible your old one was.
That’s not true of quality foam. The best beds in the world like Jenson use high quality foam. Dunlopillo also do for a fraction of the price and are worth checking out because they also zone the tension differently for shoulders etc.

Best bed I ever had
After 20 odd years I bought another which was even better
You'd say the same thing when you fit new tyres. Beds are only meant to last 10-15 years, so I'm guessing your 20 year old bed is long past its best.

Just bought it. I’ve been driving myself nuts with option-paralysis. I think this should be pretty decent. It has a “Royal Warrant” and Charles is a right picky and arrogant twunt by all accounts, so it should be all right.

PS Deliver to room was an add-on cost, so they can’t complain about anything. I added the fact it is a walk down the terrace to the house in the notes, so they can’t complain about that either. Should get it tomorrow, which means I have to spend this evening hoovering so the house doesn’t look quite as much as a dusty antique-shop/record shop/hi-fi-shop storage area as usual. Who am I kidding, I can’t fix that! They’ll leave with ‘an impression’ for sure!
Could you recommend a futon.

One thing you need to go for is better quality pillows, they are more important than what you would first think.
I'd struggled to find decent pillows for years and finally found one I like - again, super-firm is my preference. I bought these:

They're fantastic.

I have never had a good sleep at premier inn and I have stayed in a few.

Pillow is the main thing for me, mine has to be just a bit softer than a brick. Those ones like candy floss infuriate me
@garyi - try these Panda pillows!

@Tony L - I can't recall what base you said you're putting it on but pocket-spring matresses are best on a flat base rather than slatted (the pockets won't work well if there's nothing under them inbetween the slats). If you have a slatted base I can recommend buying some moderate thickness pegboard cut to the size of the bed frame and using that to create a flat base over the slats for the mattress to sit on. The holes in the pegboard also allow for some ventilation underneath the mattress.

Last edited:
pocket-spring matresses are best on a flat base rather than slatted (the pockets won't work well if there's nothing under them inbetween the slats).
actually i queried this when we bought our slatted frame and pocket sprung mattress from Warren Evens - they said it doesnt matter if the slats are close enought - which theirs were. No issues over the life time of the mattress
recommend buying some moderate thickness pegboard cut to the size of the bed frame and using that to create a flat base over the slats for the mattress to sit on. The holes in the pegboarda also allow for some ventilation underneath the mattress.
we did do this - to stop the cats going under the bed and trying to scratch off the tufts

actually i queried this when we bought our slatted frame and pocket sprung mattress from Warren Evens - they said it doesnt matter if the slats are close enought - which theirs were. No issues over the life time of the mattress
You're correct; if the slat gaps are really tight then it should be fine. I've seen some beds with gaps between the slats larger than the slats themselves!

advertisement

Back