Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz CD63 Remote not working

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by 337alant, Jan 24, 2021.

1. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I have a Marantz CD63 Mk2 Ki Sig and the remote control is not working
    All functions are working on the CD players front panel buttons
    I haven't used this player in a while but Im sure the remote worked last time I used it ?
    I have put new batteries in it and When I look at the LED with a phone camera it appears to be transmitting
    Is there any way to re-program the remote?

Alan

2. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Are you sure it isn't a fault with the receiver?

3. 337alant

No it could be is there an easy way to check that ?

4. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I can't think of an easy to way to check Alan. I'm just thinking that if the function buttons on the player are working and you can definitely see the LED on the remote transmitting, then the remaining part of the chain is the receiver on the player. Suitable used Marantz remotes must be pretty common and inexpensive on ebay and it might be as well to definitively rule out the remote before launching into fault fining on the player itself. At the worst you'll end up with a spare remote.

If a replacement remote doesn't work then I'd be looking at the voltage and ripple on the power supply to the display board and the state of the electrolytic caps on that board.

5. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Marantz used the Philips RC5 protocol so any universal or CD remote from a similar period will likely work with it.

337alant and Mynamemynaim like this.
  6. 337alant

Ok Mike thanks for that
    Mike
    Thanks for that I will look for another remote first
    Alan

7. 337alant

Mark
    Thats good news Ill see what I have in my bag of remotes
    Alan

8. 337alant

Well major egg on the face here:rolleyes: :D, there is a switch on the back for internal/external remote and what do you know :D:oops:o_O:rolleyes:
    Alls well that ends well
    Alan

Zombie, Rob998 and Mike P like this.
  9. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Lol.

I once spent ages trying to fix a 'faulty' CD player after I'd accidentally put it into auto pause mode.

10. 337alant

I took the lid off it yesterday to check for leaky or bulging caps but inside is immaculate looks like new
    It was was when I was putting the lid back on I noticed the switch :rolleyes:

These are a really great sounding CD player but I still prefer your old Phillips CD104:cool:
    Alan

11. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

Alan, at least you found it. I had a similar problem. Just got a S/H Farnell LFM2 sig gen they were throwing out at work. Re-capped it but found that the square wave was tailing off at lower F's, but sometimes was OK. Eventually traced it to the switch on the oscilloscope. Sometimes I'd switch to DC coupled (good square) or AC coupled (tailing off). I'd spent about 2hrs trying to sort what I thought was a dodgy square-wave switch in the lfm2 before the penny dropped!