advertisement

Manchester’s greatest band…

Have you watched any of the 10cc documentaries? Surprising who Graham Gouldman was writing for in the 60s. Including The yardbirds, the hollies. Eric Stewart was also having hits before they joined as 10cc. Well worth watching.

Yes, I’ve seen a few things on TV over the years and they always come over as really nice people. I’ve absolutely nothing against them, I’ve just never connected with the music despite playing most of the albums at least once as they’ve come through the shop over the decades. To be honest I can only remember I’m Not In Love (which is very good/original/clever) and Rubber Bullets.

PS Wildcard #2: Future Sound Of London. Yes, seriously! I just googled-up this Manc band list (Wikipedia).

The only 10CC song I’ve ever liked was Life Is A Minestrone as I had it on 7” single as a kid and hence am word perfect on the lyric, annoyingly.
Joy Division and The Smiths for me by the way.

Who the various parties of 10cc wrote for is largely irrelevant as the original question is about Manchester’s best band. Incredibly talented songwriters & very savvy, they are probably not impacted by the current cost of living crisis.

The Smiths win for me even though their legacy has been sullied.

I would certainly rather listen to 10cc than Joy Division or New Order nowadays but that doesn't make them the cities greatest band.

I admit Wikipedia says VdGG were ‘formed’ in Manchester, but as far as I can see none of them had anything to do with the city until reaching University age. Which by my (possibly unique) standards makes them slightly less Mancunian than the Monkees.

(I was going to add CSN&Y, but then discovered that Graham Nash isn’t from Manchester either! Phew, bullet dodged - I might have been shouted at by Bob.)

advertisement

Back