advertisement

Mana Acoustics

I have a hunch that there is no audible effect on the performance of an electrical item sitting on a solidly supported glass shelf, no matter what is doing the solid supporting.

I have a hunch that there is no audible effect on the performance of an electrical item sitting on a solidly supported glass shelf, no matter what is doing the solid supporting.
Experience tells me your hunch is not right. However experience also tells me that there are people out there who refuse to even try something before dismissing it.

If you're on the fence about buying 'audio furniture' to isolate your solid state components, this article is definitely worth a read:

https://www.audio-forums.com/articles/microphonic-effects-on-solid-state-circuits.17/

If you're already sold on isolation for solid state components then there's probably not a lot that could be done to change your mind. But try and read it anyway. :)

If you're using isolation for valve components and/or turntables, that is probably a good case for isolation! Microphonics can actually be an issue in that case!

Depends very much on the component, especially a mechanical component like a TT, IME glass is the last thing you want to put it on, especially if supported by a steel frame.

Or, you could just try it? And who said anything about isolating?
Well, the website for the company that bought the trade mark describes Mana as:

"... the pioneers of the glass and spike isolation system..."

If you don't attribute changes in sound to isolation, what are you supposing is the cause? And are you using it for solid state, valve, turntable, etc.? I don't own any valve devices or turntables and I think the article/experiment I linked to above should help others understand my doubts.

Well, the website for the company that bought the trade mark describes Mana as:

"... the pioneers of the glass and spike isolation system..."

If you don't attribute changes in sound to isolation, what are you supposing is the cause? And are you using it for solid state, valve, turntable, etc.? I don't own any valve devices or turntables and I think the article/experiment I linked to above should help others understand my doubts.
The cause? One has to speculate but perhaps dissipation, a bit like a mechanical equivalent of an electrical earth.

Yes. A lot of companies are incorporating vibration management in solid state electronics these days (Naim, Auralic). It has been known about for a long time with vacuum tubes and mechanical systems like turntables.

With active speakers the electronics does not have to be located in the speaker.

Yes. A lot of companies are incorporating vibration management in solid state electronics these days (Naim, Auralic). It has been known about for a long time with vacuum tubes and mechanical systems like turntables.
I get that -- it's a selling point (whether it serves a purpose or not). The article I linked to (but I don't think anyone is looking at) offers some evidence that microphony is a non-issue for solid state. Mr Pig says isolation isn't the aim when using Mana. So I'm wondering what is?

I do remember the Mana staff telling me not to use the word isolation when describing their products; I believe it's more akin to a tuned system.

I do remember the Mana staff telling me not to use the word isolation when describing their products; I believe it's more akin to a tuned system.

Yeah, I might say I had a vague idea of how it might work but in all honesty, I don't know. It was arrived at by trial and error following a fortuitous observation and I doubt John Watson knows exactly how it works, although I suspect he has a better idea than most.

If you care to look, you can find the science behind the idea that electronic components are sensitive to vibration but even that doesn't fully explain it. There is something else going on. I say that because Mana doesn't actually isolate from vibration. Not in the way we might expect.

I thought I would ask some people that use Mana. I guess that was a mistake?
No one knows how, or even if, any hi-fi furniture works. I have seen no truly scientific proof of much of what is claimed in the world of hi-fi. The only thing that matters is what the user believes.

I had mana but now use domestic wooden furniture. I enjoy the music replay I have and have little time for the "this hi-fi stand is better than that" brigade.

Oh I'm loving this blast from the past.
911GigR.jpg

This was JW's setup at one time.

6DDCLsK.jpg

This was one of his more enthusiastic supporters.

DGRdRpP.jpg

This was my old (and slightly more modest) setup with Naim CDX/XPS/NAC52/NAP135 and Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII.

And you were no-one if you didn't have the accompanying CD:-
E5RESw5.jpg

Certainly a "left of centre" CD but I remember liking it in the Mana room at a Heathrow show many many years ago. May have to dig it out this evening and see how it sounds on a completely different system.

I actually loved what Mana did with the Naim Olive boxes but I've moved on (too many boxes, cables & stuff plus Mana is a complete dust magnet) but Devialet on Ikea certainly doesn't sound the same. Sold it all to a guy in China who paid a fortune for UPS to bring it over. Whatever . . .

advertisement

Back