advertisement

Mana Acoustics

Have you tried a Frame or Ref Top on top of the Rack for your Linn?
Yes, up to two Ref Tops. Did not like it as much. In fairness, that was in the old house and I have not tried Ref Tops in my current abode. I don't have them any more, but will give them another go if a pair shows up for sale.

Yes, up to two Ref Tops. Did not like it as much. In fairness, that was in the old house and I have not tried Ref Tops in my current abode. I don't have them any more, but will give them another go if a pair shows up for sale.

I've just sold a Ref Top and a Frame!

If you don't like an extra level under an LP12, or any turntable, something isn't right. The Linn just gets better and better as more are added. Especially if the deck is on the top of a Rack. It works ok but if you give it even a little separation it makes a big difference. I have three levels on top of my Rack for the CD player.

I've found the Rega CD player to respond to extra Mana a bit more than the Naim ones did. You still get to a point where you can't hear any difference but that happened sooner with Naim players. I've not found the limit for turntables. I'm probably stopping at Fourteen simply because I don't want the thing any higher!

31 bits here and a few bits up in the loft! Who cares if anyone else likes it, they can hate it along with my LP12, Kans and Naim!

Sorry if my original post sounded like I didn't like Mana. I actually think it looks quite good and have read good reviews.
I had been bidding on a pair of sound bases for my SBL's and had a leading bid of around £150 until the final 5 seconds where they shot up to £260.
Gutted I lost out on them.

Sorry if my original post sounded like I didn't like Mana. I actually think it looks quite good and have read good reviews.
I had been bidding on a pair of sound bases for my SBL's and had a leading bid of around £150 until the final 5 seconds where they shot up to £260.
Gutted I lost out on them.

No probs; I must admit that I had assumed that you were trolling when you didn't respond to some of the posts! Actually, I forgot that my Kans/mkII stands are sitting on soundbases, so make that 33 bits of Mana, and my SBLs were sitting on them too, when I had them. The soundbases are great, because, as a lot of people agree, floorboards can sound better than concrete floors, but can be more difficult to set up; the soundbases give you the best of both worlds and are the perfect foundation for loudspeakers IMHO.

Good luck in your search, you will find some in the end, just be patient!

I'm probably stopping at Fourteen simply because I don't want the thing any higher!

I must admit, that regardless of whatever stand you use, it is nice to have the record player at a sensible height; my knees wouldn't be happy if I still had to kneel down to put on a record like I had to do when I used a Sound Organisation table, but as you say, you can go too far the other way!

I recall those stand wars fondly(!) - used to be a lot of fun on the old Naim forum. I was even on the Mana forum for a while but, despite owning a bit of Mana stuff, I wasn't one of the worshipers so did often get a hard time about that at times!

My main system is on Mana racks though and I've had no issue with them - other than them being a dust trap and a struggle to keep clean. My LP12 is on one of their wall shelves with a couple of the other bits under it (not sure if those are reference tops or something else as I've forgotten the terminology), I've got a 3-tier amp stand with a reference top think on that (which I think I've done the wrong way, as it's on top of the rack and I suspect it should be under it), plus my CD transport and DAC are on another one of the racks.

My main system is on Mana racks though and I've had no issue with them - other than them being a dust trap and a struggle to keep clean. s.

Pledge Fluffy Dusters, in conjunction with the vacuum cleaner is the answer! I use the Fluffy Duster and then when it looks full of dust, use the hose of the vac to pull the dust off said Fluffy duster, else it just deposits it back down again. It works for me, but keep the duster well away from the styus! Clean the record player separately!

I suppose its the age old preference thing. What mana doesnt do well really presses my buttons and what it does well makes no difference to me.

For someone with a different set of values its easy to see why they would like it.

Ive never had enthusiasm for NAC52 or NS1000 but appreciate that there are areas where they work well, but I couldnt live with the compromises they bring.

And all components bring their own set of compromises.

I must admit, it is nice to have the record player at a sensible height; my knees wouldn't be happy if I still had to kneel down to put on a record like I had to do when I used a Sound Organisation table..

The most scary support I had was an Audiotech table for my LP12. Very low and the top board sat on spikes. the spikes didn't sink into the board because there were steel disks on the underside of the board. Basically, one firm shove and the deck was o the floor. Not ideal with toddlers in the house but we taught them not to touch the stereo and it was fine.

Actually, the RP10 is very light so the spikes don't dig into the board the way they usually do. The top levels of that pile could get knocked off quite easily :0.

It's interesting that the best phases were prime numbers — 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97,...

Back in the day, a few Mana acolytes got to phase 19 or 23, but after that adding mo' Mana necessitated home renovations — installing the Mana in the basement and cutting a hole in the ceiling above / floor below on the main level or upper levels of your house to erect the desired phase you were after.

One bloke reached phase 43, and at that point his system approached perfection. Not quite, as there are primes larger than 43, but let's be reasonable here. On that much Mana the system didn't even need to be powered up to surpass superior systems on fewer phases. This meant the person could save a fortune on expensive mains cables — like Ron T's $10k per metre wire — so it was a case of swings and roundabouts as to how you were to attain audio Nirvana.

Joe

I suppose its the age old preference thing. What mana doesnt do well really presses my buttons and what it does well makes no difference to me.

For someone with a different set of values its easy to see why they would like it.

Ive never had enthusiasm for NAC52 or NS1000 but appreciate that there are areas where they work well, but I couldnt live with the compromises they bring.

And all components bring their own set of compromises.
I think it is a safe bet that I'd like almost anything hifi that you don't like and, no doubt, vice versa.

advertisement

Back