advertisement

[FS] Magnepan LRS

beammeup

pfm Member
For anyone interested in trying out a Magnepan, I am selling mine for £800.

I live in Norfolk and can personally deliver up to 100 miles (I don't really want to use a courier) - or we could meet halfway.

Collection from my home is also welcome - while you are here you could audition them too.

Reason for selling - upgrading to the Magenpan 1.7i's.

They are immaculate with black cloth - and they also come with the original boxes to keep them safe.

Hmm, that’s a quick upgrade!

Yes I have the opportunity to buy a pair of the 1.7i's fairly close to where I live for a decent price - having a taste of panels like this wants me to experience more of the same thing while this opportunity exists! The sale of my current LRS which I've had fleetingly will help fund this upgrade (if indeed it really is a significant upgrade). No point in having both the LRS and the 1.7i's in the house - I don't have room for them.

Having said that - the LRS's are starting to sound better and better despite already sounding very good - this may have something to do with the MF6si amplifier running in. My investment in this sort of powerful amplification should see me through to the larger panels. Having an integrated is a tidier approach using just the one shelf space.

I'm also investing in a more powerful version of my Croft 7, by way of the Croft 7R's - again more power should I need it from one of my favourite sounding amps ever in my system. If I could get more juice to these panels from the 7R's that may be a brilliant match - we will see.

Hmmm, be interesting to see how far along the upgrade path you go. But you appear hooked on Maggies for the foreseable

Hmmm, be interesting to see how far along the upgrade path you go. But you appear hooked on Maggies for the foreseable

Perhaps - no doubt these panels sound very good indeed - so here's a chance for someone else to try Maggies - one pair goes out of the door while another pair comes in.

Just make sure you have a powerful amp - and when it comes to requiring the space - funnily enough they aren't as fussy as people make out - yet they do sound different in different positions, but all the 'differences' sound good anyway (if that makes any sense). And they are so light you can move them in and out if you choose to do so for each listening sessions (I'm not sure if the 1.7i's are going to be quite so maneuverable).

Yes excellent and now saving up for 1.7i's, these panels are in perfect condition and wanting a new loving owner.

If only they were white... GLWTS

Nope - they are the same colour as your cat :)

Listening to them now powered by a very high end (on loan) Gryphon Atilla (£7000 rrp new). They "really" do get better with better front end electronics!!

These panels are 'fast' too !!!

Hmm, that’s a quick upgrade!
This is one of the main aims of Magnepan. The LRS speakers were designed as high level speakers and the hope was they would encourage listeners to buy the larger speakers. A high end taster. They came with a generous trade in discount if listeners upgraded within the year. They just ended up being a bit too good. I kept mine. I love them.

This is one of the main aims of Magnepan. The LRS speakers were designed as high level speakers and the hope was they would encourage listeners to buy the larger speakers. A high end taster. They came with a generous trade in discount if listeners upgraded within the year. They just ended up being a bit too good. I kept mine. I love them.

Do you drive them with the 803D? Interested as that would be my pairing, if I can find some in white...

Do you drive them with the 803D? Interested as that would be my pairing, if I can find some in white...

Close - I have driven them successfully with the 801, and M6si - and am now looking to invest in a Croft 7R (more powerful than my current vanilla Croft 7 - and I like the Croft sound).

Incidentally now I have the M6si and looking to get the 7R, the 801 as good as it is, is now for sale (I can't keep everything).

If the 7R is good and powerful enough, the M6si may also be for sale too.

Sorry about this - I did a video of how the LRS sounded in the setup I had at the time - despite the weird music you get an idea of what the Maggies look like at least!

In this video they are being driven the the Yamaha AS-801

Untitled

Hi, been curious about magnepan and tempted to give these a punt. One constraint for me is that they would need to be close to the side walls in my room. This is because they are relatively tall, and I have a projection screen drop down between the speakers.

I have read they need a lot of space to work well, would approx 1ft from the side walls cause an issue? Distance to front wall is about 4 or 5 ft.

The way Magneplanars radiate, side walls are not so much of a problem. they need space behind them as they are dipoles, but you can generally place them quite close to side walls.

Hi, been curious about magnepan and tempted to give these a punt. One constraint for me is that they would need to be close to the side walls in my room. This is because they are relatively tall, and I have a projection screen drop down between the speakers.

I have read they need a lot of space to work well, would approx 1ft from the side walls cause an issue? Distance to front wall is about 4 or 5 ft.

As you can see I don't have the perfect listening environment but they just work (I don't really know why) - I am firing longways into the lounge with a little bit of obstruction from lounge furniture (unfortunately) but the beauty of the sound still gets to my listening position with ease. Funnily enough - for me - the taller 1.7i's should work better because they will tower higher above some of the furniture. They are lightweight and easy to move about if you do wish to tweak. The LRS gets you ready for the Maggie sound - but funnily enough the better the source and amplification the better these sound! I hope you get a 'little' taste at least how these perform in the video powered by my Yamaha AS-801.

I am en-route to getting the more powerful Croft 7R (I have the more basic but still musical Croft 7) - which is more powerful for these panels - hopefully it will work out.

The Yamaha as a result will go on sale shortly.

I thought I would give this a bump ... in addition the Yamaha A-S801 is for sale in black for £550 (I have been the owner from new and have the original box etc).

I may put up a new for sale thread for the Yam but for now, I will nest it in this one.

advertisement

Back