advertisement

m2 tech 'young' dac

Chris: I imagine you'll be gathering twelve different DACs and as many people at your house, and listening to Hebden Bridge for as many hours again . . . ! It's the only way to be sure.

muzzer - that was defo me a few years ago. These days a good 1/2 my digi collection is 96khz or above (vinyl rips mostly).

Mark - I think that was a one-off ! :D

NB
If you dont mind me saying so, the way you make your point on the internet often comes across as unpleasant.

Cheers,
Chris

I don't mind you saying so at all Chris. Given that you think the blame lies with someone else for you not reading the manual I wasn't expecting you to man up and admit you are at fault. So I'm hardly surprised in not being thanked for pointing the bleeding obvious out.

Hi Keith

I was gobsmacked to see on the M2 Tech site that there are no Young drivers for OSX before ''Snow Leopard" and " Lion".

Snow Leopard came out as late as 2009, and the above two operating systems are ONLY available on the very latest generation of Macs - which have the swappable Windows/Mac startup.

Any MAC produced prior to the 2009 Intel chips (we're talking about 25 years of Mac computers here!) simply cannot run "Snow Leopard" or " Lion".

I know you use a Mac yourself. With the common use of Mac's for music and media, it is amazing to find (what appears to be) extremely limited drivers.
Bottleneck
I have a Mac older than 2009 and I run snowleopard on it

Hi sovereign/ others - it's the ''pre intel'' chips that can't run snow leopard or lion.

I am thinking now of selling my Mac, and buying a more recent one on Ebay.

This will be cheaper than replacing the DAC.

...unless of course miracles happen, and drivers appear (I doubt it)

.. at this stage, I'd be suprised by a returned email, never mind drivers ! :D

I run Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8) on my 2006 2.16 Intel Duo core Mac book pro .
10.6.8 is the max it can run.
So it should be fine with the M2TECH Young DAC
I used it with my Young Dac before my mac mini was purchased.

Ran Fine .

you have a great DAC without a case for 50E (boards, power tx etc) based on PCM 1798 chip and CS 8416 receiver with AD827 opamps output.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/707-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=120740240119

it's 192/24 via SPDIF and optical.

for another 30e you will find a USB/SPDIF converter.

with all the upgrades and shit you have a giant killer for 150e.

i tested it next to some big names and you don't want me to write publicly about it.

crazy fikus also played with it...

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMPUCERA/CD DAC Lampucera lampizator.html

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
yeah - great minds think alike.

A mac mini seems to be £200 on Ebay. It's not that much, and they are small and neat for a hifi rack.
If you have a mac mini - are they quiet?
If you know your mac minis and care to do so, feel free to make ebay reccomendations. I am definately buying.

This seems to be the most cost effective option to solve a problem.

Hi,
I use a mini sited on my hifi rack which is in the listening room. It is approx 2 years old' running 10.6.8 & has 4gb ram. I use an iPad as a remote control & have it hooked up to the tv for when I want to update programs' iTunes artwork etc. I use pure music with it's memory play feature. It is near silent in operation, quick to use & I can't really see a downside to it. I think it was approx £450 new' iirc, so I'd guess you could get a 2nd hand one for £300 or so?
Could be a good solution for you?
Matt.

Don't really know my Macs i'm affraid. I have a 2010 mac mini with solid state 60gb for music playback only. All music on external 1TB drive attached via firewire.
The noise from the hard drive is louder than the mac. Still pretty quiet all round. It has never encroached on my listening, even at low levels.

Will you be going headless? (no screen)
This what I do using iphone or macbook pro to control via wireless screen share or connect them together if I loose contact using an ethernet cable.
I cant believe I stayed with a CD player for so long.

If you are located near me - Bromley (kent) you can come and see.

Hi

I already have a Divx to HDMI cable, 1080 tv, wireless apple keyboard and wireless apple mouse. Also a 3TB external hard drive.

Just the computer really.. and I understand a device to convert very small to divx is needed for my divx to hdmi cable (not a computer guy)

advertisement

Back