advertisement

m2 tech 'young' dac

bottleneck

pfm Member
Does anyone know if the Young Dac is compatible with either Mac Tiger or Leopard?

I hadn't thought this would be an issue, there are so many millions of users of this software on the planet - but I can't see drivers on the M2 tech site.

I have emailed M2 tech, but last time I emailed them (about something entirely different) I didn't get any response.

I thought I would ask the web-community instead.

Hi Jumbo -

It is whether it is compliant with Tiger or Leopard that I need... ''Snow Leopard'' and ''Lion'' only work on the latest and most expensive generations of Mac.

In fact, I'm pissed off with this thing - M2 Tech don't answer emails, and (don't seem) to have the Mac drivers I need.

They do seem to have the time to make other products though, instead of writing drivers to support the existing products they have.

M2 Tech Young Dac in the classifieds.

I believe Snow Leopard Are the earliest Mac drivers available, I have written to Marco to confirm, Chris can you not upgrade to a more current version of OSX?
Keith.

Hi Keith

I was gobsmacked to see on the M2 Tech site that there are no Young drivers for OSX before ''Snow Leopard" and " Lion".

Snow Leopard came out as late as 2009, and the above two operating systems are ONLY available on the very latest generation of Macs - which have the swappable Windows/Mac startup.

Any MAC produced prior to the 2009 Intel chips (we're talking about 25 years of Mac computers here!) simply cannot run "Snow Leopard" or " Lion".

I know you use a Mac yourself. With the common use of Mac's for music and media, it is amazing to find (what appears to be) extremely limited drivers.

Any MAC produced prior to the 2009 Intel chips (we're talking about 25 years of Mac computers here!) simply cannot run "Snow Leopard" or " Lion".

Are you sure? I have an Intel Mac Mini from 2006 running snow leopard just fine.

An upgrade to Snow Leopard only costs £25. Don't see the point of selling off the Young because of that.

You will have to upgrade the OS at some point in time anyway. Why not now?

yup, very very sure

It is only possible on my machine if you apply ''hacks'' to the software to make it work.

Since Apple moved to using Intel processors in their computers, the OSx86 community has developed and now also allows Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard to be installed and run successfully on non-Apple x86-based computers, albeit in violation of Apple's licensing agreement for Mac OS X. A variety of installation processes can be used, the most common being to use Darwin-based bootloaders commonly known as "Boot 132" designed to emulate an EFI which Intel Macs use instead of a BIOS

I'm still hoping to hear that M2 Tech support the Apple community of pre-Snow Leopard users, but my hope is fading pretty quickly.

There are Hiface drivers back to 10.4. I wonder why they're different? Or what Apple did at 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 to require new drivers.

Paul

Hi Paul I saw that.

That pissed me off even more if Im honest.

The Young Dac uses ''hiface technology''.

Since the production of the Young Dac, M2 Tech have produced - a power supply for the Young Dac, and also a high-end Dac.

How much of this production time would it have taken to adapt hi-face drivers to work with the Young?

Don't they have an obligation (moral not physical) to make their products work with as many computers as possible?

Anyway, not happy.

A bargain is in the classifieds.

RTFM alert.....

It's not their job to make sure their hardware is backwards compatible with every OS ever written throughout history. They wrote drivers for current OS's at the time of release. If all they did was write backwards compatible drivers for obsolete OS they'd never design anything new.

If you didn't read the compatible OS list it's not exactly their fault now is it?

Well, we will clearly disagree here.

Snow Leopard came out in 2009. For me, and for millions of MAC users, OS that came out before then is still a very recent OS.

You are quite right, the drivers were released AFTER the DAC came out. I remember you were using a ''hi face'' because you couldn't even use your new product!!

I can only say if I made a product that had PC specific drivers ABSOLUTELY I'd make it backwards compatible.

My problem will no doubt be someone else's pride and joy good luck to them.

NB
If you dont mind me saying so, the way you make your point on the internet often comes across as unpleasant.

Cheers,
Chris

advertisement

Back