advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

In my defense, the OP was getting hassled for not having made a decision after 50 pages so I thought I'd lighten the mood with some humor. But if you have to explain it...
In which case, I’m happy to apologise :). I misunderstood your posts. In my defence, I was trying to do much the same.

There is a dealer in Glasgow so after COVID a demo is relatively easy to sort, just whether it’s worth it, could make it part of a few days away over on West Coast.

It's really interesting to see what is out there on the global market. It opened my eyes/ears a few years ago when I started buying direct from EU. OBVS Brexshite has thrown a curve ball to us here but still, there's soooo much out there we simply ignore because its just not advertised/represented very well in the UK.

The Accuphase volume control is very smooth and nicely weighted. But unlike a stepped attenuator, you'll have to check the LED level read out to know the volume setting.

I'll make an admission here. I'm lusting after some Accuphase amps, even though I'm very happy with my Pioneer C-21/M-22. Gosh, that must be how thoughts of infidelity starts. Thankfully, the cost of both C-2450 and A-48, which will cost more than a new family car, is reassuringly out of reach.

FWIW - The AS3000 is one of the few components I've bought where I did not read reviews or actively seek advice on forums, I just had this innate gut feeling that it would be a superb amp and was therefore happy to buy blind in this instance. I also got a good deal on mine, which you could argue reduced the magnitude of the 'punt' I was taking. You could also argue it wasn't a complete leap of faith, as I'd been using Yamaha amplification for many years before that and was never disappointed in any of the Yamaha gear I owned. If cost is a significant factor, my recommendation would be simply to buy a new or used A-S3000 as IMO they represent the best VFM for a TOTL offering. If buying used, you can always sell it on if you don't like it without being out of pocket. I'm still happy with mine 5 years on, and have no desire to upgrade. Then again, I haven't auditioned anything else, so who knows what I'm missing out on?! Ignorance is bliss, as they say. If you're the kind of person who can be happy with their lot then I think you'll find peace with whatever Yamaha, Luxman, or Accuphase has been mentioned in this thread as I'm sure they're all great sounding amps.

FWIW - The AS3000 is one of the few components I've bought where I did not read reviews or actively seek advice on forums, I just had this innate gut feeling that it would be a superb amp and was therefore happy to buy blind in this instance. I also got a good deal on mine, which you could argue reduced the magnitude of the 'punt' I was taking. You could also argue it wasn't a complete leap of faith, as I'd been using Yamaha amplification for many years before that and was never disappointed in any of the Yamaha gear I owned. If cost is a significant factor, my recommendation would be simply to buy a new or used A-S3000 as IMO they represent the best VFM for a TOTL offering. If buying used, you can always sell it on if you don't like it without being out of pocket. I'm still happy with mine 5 years on, and have no desire to upgrade. Then again, I haven't auditioned anything else, so who knows what I'm missing out on?! Ignorance is bliss, as they say. If you're the kind of person who can be happy with their lot then I think you'll find peace with whatever Yamaha, Luxman, or Accuphase has been mentioned in this thread as I'm sure they're all great sounding amps.

Thanks that's useful and I think that's where I'll end up landing (A-S3000) if I can find one - they are a rarity second hand and I haven't seen many available. The successor (A-S3200) looks very nice but am not entirely sure that it's enough of an improvement to justify the cost of them new (£5k).

Good handful come and gone recently priced between £2.5k-£3k.
Can be had for even less if patient, or quick off the mark.
They’re a no brainer at this price point imo.

Are they generally on eBay?
Yes, I picked up mine a couple of months ago complete and in immaculate condition. Although I did put a wanted post on all the forums, so you may get lucky that way, although generally unless someone has to sell owners tend to hang onto them so that probably tells you something.

Yes, I picked up mine a couple of months ago complete and in immaculate condition. Although I did put a wanted post on all the forums, so you may get lucky that way, although generally unless someone has to sell owners tend to hang onto them so that probably tells you something.

Thank you. I'll post something similar and see if I get lucky with one.

Thanks that's useful and I think that's where I'll end up landing (A-S3000) if I can find one - they are a rarity second hand and I haven't seen many available. The successor (A-S3200) looks very nice but am not entirely sure that it's enough of an improvement to justify the cost of them new (£5k).

I also bought my A-S3000 secondhand. I watched some reputable dedicated sites / forums and found mine on a secondhand hifi website in Holland.
As it turns out, there is another one listed (together with the CD-S3000 CD player): Yamaha CD-S3000 + A-S3000 - Tweedehands - HiFi.nl When I bought mine there where two amps listed.
With a bit of patience you'll be able to find one in excellent condition and for a good price. There still are some people out there who like to change their setup every few years. They often take excellent care of their gear too. These are the people you need to find. Good luck!

I also bought my A-S3000 secondhand. I watched some reputable dedicated sites / forums and found mine on a secondhand hifi website in Holland.
As it turns out, there is another one listed (together with the CD-S3000 CD player): Yamaha CD-S3000 + A-S3000 - Tweedehands - HiFi.nl When I bought mine there where two amps listed.
With a bit of patience you'll be able to find one in excellent condition and for a good price. There still are some people out there who like to change their setup every few years. They often take excellent care of their gear too. These are the people you need to find. Good luck!

Thanks very much for that I'll keep my eye on it as I didn't know it existed . I'd take a punt on that one if it was black but I'll watch out for one.

Thanks very much for that I'll keep my eye on it as I didn't know it existed . I'd take a punt on that one if it was black but I'll watch out for one.

If you're in the UK, don't forget taxes and any tariffs, plus fees. They can add 25% or more to the price.

If you're in the UK, don't forget taxes and any tariffs, plus fees. They can add 25% or more to the price.
Also, customs in both countries will probably still be tripping over themselves. It took me 5 weeks to get a B&W center channel speaker from the UK via DPD/SEUR.

advertisement

Back