advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Are CDs/vinyl treated the same way? I bought a vinyl boxset direct from the music label at the beginning of March and expected to pay import duty on it (it was being shipped from Holland to UK) but paid nada. The boxset was €75 and the shipping was €18.50. It also arrived very promptly, in a matter of days, no longer than a week IIRC. Did I just get lucky?

Are CDs/vinyl treated the same way? I bought a vinyl boxset direct from the music label last month and expected to pay import duty on it (it was being shipped from Holland to UK) but paid nada. The boxset was €75 and the shipping was €18.50. Did I just get lucky?
My experience in Spain has been that if the item is valued less than 120 € (I think that's the bar), then they wave it through. If not, either the courier will include the cost when postage is purchased, or in rarer cases, you will need to pay the delivery person directly.

So in my experience, things like CDs are ignored, but pricier items like speakers and amps sit around at customs while they decide who pays what.

Under £135 is UK limit
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

For imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value (which aligns with the threshold for customs duty liability), we will be moving the point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This will mean that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.

... For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.
Well that's probably going to discourage a lot of EU sellers from selling to the UK.

The Yamaha A-S3000 looks interesting and the favourable reports by existing owners here look promising. I'm sure the Yamaha would sound stellar but noticed Whathifi gave it a 3-star in a review (not too sure on the reasons as most mediocre or poor performing products reviewed by them usually get a 4 or 5 star).

In a review by Steve Huff below perhaps year 2016 or earlier, the A-S3000 was very well received. Nevertheless, there was an update in 2021 where the Luxman L-590AXII and Pass Labs INT-25 were recommended over the A-S3000.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-yamaha-a-s-3000-integrated-amp-review/

At the current used prices, the Yamaha A-S3000 is surely great value.

Edit :
Luxman L-590AXII vs Yamaha A-S3000

I did a review of the MKII Luxman which is said to sound different than the MK1 (never heard the 1) but can say the Yamaha is not in the same league as the MKII Luxman. It’s nice but the MKII 590 is a “game over” kind of integrated IMO. The Yamaha is great if you can get a nice price and has some punch and power but it’s a tad dry in the sound compared to the Lux, and as beautiful as it is if side by side the Lux wins. With that said I did use this with some Guarneri Evo’s and it had plenty of power for them and sounded great. I loved it back when I wrote this but since have heard a few that bested it. Luxman 590 AXII, the Pass Labs INT-60 are two. It’s not bad by any means but again, depending on cost. if you can get one for $3-$3500 its a great buy.

When COVID-19 is over, and we are then allowed to drive abroad, would this still apply to 2nd hand goods or items that are gifted? And will there be red and green declaration zones? Living on the south coast I always preferred to drive abroad and buy my HIFI gear without any problems whatsoever.

When COVID-19 is over, and we are then allowed to drive abroad, would this still apply to 2nd hand goods or items that are gifted? And will there be red and green declaration zones? Living on the south coast I always preferred to drive abroad and buy my HIFI gear without any problems whatsoever.

Whether a gift or purchased you have to pay any duties, taxes or tariffs due, new goods or used. Of course, you're free to try and smuggle stuff in, but be under no illusion, smuggling it will be.

People have to grasp that we are no longer in the EU and are a separate trading entity. This is all a consequence of the Brexit fiasco.

You also need to be aware of different regulations on entry to various countries. This is all changing in due course. Visa type arrangements will be required, with advance authority to travel required (in a similar manner to the US or Australia).

The below is from a Gov site:

Most goods arriving in the UK are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

• Customs Duty
  • Excise Duty
  • Import or supply VAT
These must usually be paid whether:

• you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  • the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

The Yamaha A-S3000 looks interesting and the favourable reports by existing owners here look promising. I'm sure the Yamaha would sound stellar but noticed Whathifi gave it a 3-star in a review (not too sure on the reasons as most mediocre or poor performing products reviewed by them usually get a 4 or 5 star).

In a review by Steve Huff below perhaps year 2016 or earlier, the A-S3000 was very well received. Nevertheless, there was an update in 2021 where the Luxman L-590AXII and Pass Labs INT-25 were recommended over the A-S3000.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-yamaha-a-s-3000-integrated-amp-review/

At the current used prices, the Yamaha A-S3000 is surely great value.

Edit :
Luxman L-590AXII vs Yamaha A-S3000

I did a review of the MKII Luxman which is said to sound different than the MK1 (never heard the 1) but can say the Yamaha is not in the same league as the MKII Luxman. It’s nice but the MKII 590 is a “game over” kind of integrated IMO. The Yamaha is great if you can get a nice price and has some punch and power but it’s a tad dry in the sound compared to the Lux, and as beautiful as it is if side by side the Lux wins. With that said I did use this with some Guarneri Evo’s and it had plenty of power for them and sounded great. I loved it back when I wrote this but since have heard a few that bested it. Luxman 590 AXII, the Pass Labs INT-60 are two. It’s not bad by any means but again, depending on cost. if you can get one for $3-$3500 its a great buy.
I suspect a lot of that will be the difference between class A and AB.

I have heard similar from someone else, seems a successful high end brand but rarely see it mentioned.

Luxman, Accuphase and Yamaha are very nice high quality integrated amps and perfect candidates for that very last amplifier i'd like to live with but how can I argue against Esoteric's Ball Bearing Control Knobs!

Problem is to figure out if the F-05's 10 pounds heavier transformer would make a difference compared to the F-07 using 8 inches woofer stand mounts...
The other solution is to keep the olive kit, abandon the armrest chair and get a duo of Trek e-bikes instead ;)

Luxman, Accuphase and Yamaha are very nice high quality integrated amps and perfect candidates for that very last amplifier i'd like to live with but how can I argue against Esoteric's Ball Bearing Control Knobs!

Problem is to figure out if the F-05's 10 pounds heavier transformer would make a difference compared to the F-07 using 8 inches woofer stand mounts...
The other solution is to keep the olive kit, abandon the armrest chair and get a duo of Trek e-bikes instead ;)
Go for the bikes. After this past year of lockdowns and early curfews in Spain I'd pick getting out of the house over almost anything indoors.

Esoteric kit is up there with the best, but it's their digital range that really shines
Mac

advertisement

Back