advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

This popped up on Facebook. Accuphase founder Jiro Kasuga in his home, 1977.

Ditch the armchair and I could get used to a pad like that.

boO2A17.jpg

A mate sent me a video of this guy who builds things.Check out his DAC build and the attention to detail it's amazing.Even the wooden casework is stunning.

I checked out his other videos and he uses this Luxman M -900 M10 X in his system ...He Loves it....lovely looking piece of kit.

I know this is off-topic .. I am just curious about that guy's system setup. As you can see, he has a bookcase/system rack on the left and a single sofa directly in front of the right speaker thereby partially blocking the sound. I know this kind of space constraint is very common among audiophiles, but with all those hi-end equipment and the constant discussion about precise imaging and speaker placement, isn't it a loss cause and self defeating?

An update. I've been in communication with my dealer whom I bought the Luxman L-590AXII from. He's also a music lover who now owns the Accuphase E-800. Similarly we both love our Luxman and Accuphase, and he now only recommends both brands to customers after he dropped Pass Labs (he used to sell INT-60 and 250 but not anymore). He just had another customer who switched from Naim 282/SCDR/300 for the Accuphase E-800. It appears that many ex Naim users have switched from top and mid level Naim to Luxman and Accuphase integrateds.

He also mentioned that the Class A Luxman L-590AXII sounds better than the Class AB L-509X to him although I understand there are folks who thought otherwise.

Lastly, I would like to share my latest experience with a rack upgrade. For the first time in 20 years I've finally committed to a quality rack after a long period of abstinence. It's a Solid Tech Rack of Silence Reference, and it's the best decision I've ever made. The Luxman, Naim amps (currently unused), Lumin streamer and power bank are placed on the new rack while all other components which include the DAC are on the old rack. My speakers sounded very different and much improved. I wouldn't elaborate too much on the improvements here but will just say that the rack has surely made a BIG difference, and this is with a solid-state amp. My earlier plan of trying an alternative amp such as Vitus has been scratched off the list.

If anyone has the Luxman or Accuphase on a poor rack or piece of furniture, I would suggest to get a good rack. You might be in for a surprise.

Do you know why he dropped Pass? Where does he see the advantage of Accuphase and/or Luxman? I liked the Pass Int-60 very much but have to admit, that I haven't listened to a Luxman or newer Accuphase.

Do you know why he dropped Pass? Where does he see the advantage of Accuphase and/or Luxman? I liked the Pass Int-60 very much but have to admit, that I haven't listened to a Luxman or newer Accuphase.

Perhaps he just loves the sound of the Accuphase and Luxman that's all. It's just a different sound signature between the two. The Accuphase and Luxman have great clarity and detail while the Pass Labs sacrifice a little detail but throws a larger 3-dimensional sound with a bit more warmth in the midrange and bass.

Accuphase has gradually become much more available through dealers in the UK and it's great to see.
I wouldn't mind hearing the new Luxman Z models.
Mac

After climbing upwards on the Naim ladder from integrateds to 282/250/HCDR/nDAC/XPS, etc. until they lost me due to silly costs and embarrassing engineering failures...I too have a Luxman L-509AXII for over a year now. It's less "in your face", more intimate, smooth and easy on the ears. High quality build makes me think this one could last awhile...it just makes music.

LX509z details now up on their website. Price now around 11k.

Just reading the specs, and whilst this doesn't determine sound quality or component quality, noticed it 'only' has a 600 VA transformer. Which seems pretty small for a 11k amp? Is that good value? I am writing this as someone who would be interested in owning this or something similar at some point.

As an example. And I know it's not comparable as one system is a integrated and another pre power, but many purchasers will go from separates to pre power and vice versa, an exposure 5010 system has two 800VA transformers (one per mono) and 200 VA in the pre, so a total of 1800 VA for 8k. The 3510 series has 1000 VA in total for around 5k I think.

So is that a good value proposition at 11k?

Just reading the specs, and whilst this doesn't determine sound quality or component quality, noticed it 'only' has a 600 VA transformer. Which seems pretty small for a 11k amp? Is that good value? I am writing this as someone who would be interested in owning this or something similar at some point.

As an example. And I know it's not comparable as one system is a integrated and another pre power, but many purchasers will go from separates to pre power and vice versa, an exposure 5010 system has two 800VA transformers (one per mono) and 200 VA in the pre, so a total of 1800 VA for 8k. The 3510 series has 1000 VA in total for around 5k I think.

So is that a good value proposition at 11k?
Must admit, I wasn't exactly blown away by the specs.
Mac

advertisement

Back