advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

There was a spell wher some amps had incorrect trim pot settings , so (as previously mentioned) it is worth checking the idle bias and dc offset . Both easily done if you have a multimeter and download the service manual which give instructions on how to do this .

The room in which the guy is listening sounds like a bathroom, how can I take him or his experience seriously?

I've owned my A-S3000 for almost 4 and 1/2 years now and still love it. It's the best sounding amp I've owned, and the most expensive (I usually buy vintage gear, the A-S3000 is the first amp I've bought new). Please note I am a Yamaha fanboy and have had various Yamaha amplification at the heart of my systems for the last 15 years (CR-1000, CR-2020, CR-2040, CA-1000, A-S1000, A-S2000). I haven't heard the Luxman or Accuphase so cannot comment on their performance, but purely based on aesthetics alone I'd take the Yamaha over both of them!...:D

i have had the opportunity to listen to and examine Accuphase. It is exquisitely styled and manufactured, and should keep its value for many years. I suspect repairs are quite expensive and obtaining parts is difficult. Still, if you have pocket and access, you’d do well to seek them out.

I have owned a couple of really good Yamaha pieces: namely the C2a preamp and M2 amp. I foolishly traded them in for other, more expensive things. The Yamaha was perfectly up to the tasks I laid before them. I suppose the A3000 is equally proficient and will serve your purposes well. It may not have the same resell value as the Accuphase, but repair and parts would be far more accessible.

Tarun aka A British Audiophile reviews the 'entry level' Accuphase integrated:

I have the E270 and it is an amazing match with Tannoy Legacy Ardens. Just a stunning integrated that seems a lot more powerful than the specs suggest. However recently I was tempted to go further up the chain, so now I have C2150/A36 combo with AD50/DAC50. This pair came up on the used market at a price where I can try and move on for minimal loss if not to taste. In particular I was curious to see how I like the Mosfet Class A sound vs the Bipolar class AB sound of the E270 into my particular Tannoys. There is no doubt the pre/power is a massive step up but I suspect that the AB power amps might have better synergy for my speakers. I will keep an eye out for a used P4500 to answer this question.

Yeah, Accuphase is tremendous gear. It's a shame there's such a ridiculous (and unjustified IMHO) price disparity between Japan and elsewhere...
Agreed, I was lucky to get on the ladder by buying a second hand E350, then a series of trade ins.
Mac

Don’t knock it: Bathrooms are perfect locations to lay down a great recording. Jim Morrison did some of his best work in there…

Thanks for the responses, I’ll see if I can speak to Yamaha direct & will make a point of updating here if they’re helpful.

Well, I said I’d report back, and have to say I’m a little blown away.

Quick recap: My issue was that the power switch broke on my Yamaha A-S2200. The way it happened showed that it must have been cracked from the start, i.e. a warranty issue. The dealer refused to help without threatening to charge me what I thought was an unreasonable amount.

After the dealer was completely unhelpful I mentioned it here and some members said to try Yamaha direct. So I did, and said I’d update the thread if they were helpful.

Yamaha arranged a courier - for free - to collect the amp and take it to a service centre. The service centre contacted me a few days ago to say the amp was ready to be sent back. Only when I contacted them to arrange the delivery, it turned out that the broken switch was out of stock.

So Yamaha had told them to send me a whole brand new amp. Which they did, for free. It arrived yesterday. An entire £3k+ amp for the sake of what the chap at the service centre said was a £1.50 part.

To use a recent sporting analogy, dealer 0, Yamaha 7. I’ll never shop with Audio Affair again, but Yamaha will be automatically on the short list whenever they are an option for something I’m looking for.

That’s great to hear Dave, when I picked up my 3000 as 2nd owner and contacted them to ask if they had any history on it I hoped I was calling Yamaha the music professionals who adorn concert halls so well yadayada rather than stack em high consumer electronics. I felt reassured it was the former but your tale takes that to another level.

IMG_6725.jpg

Just acquired this A20.. Very nice.
But as far as build quality goes, the Sony TA-E86B/TA-N86B is in another league.

But as far as build quality goes, the Sony TA-E86B/TA-N86B is in another league.

How do you mean? A lower or higher league?@

advertisement

Back