advertisement

LS3/5a - what Amps are PF-ers using ?

I'm afraid I can't contribute to the OP, but on the subject of valve amps...

Having tried JR149, S3/5R2, and Tannoy Autograph Mini on a SET I found that they all undergo essentially the same tuning manipulation, namely emphasised upper mids and treble (2kHz-10kHz) and a rolled-off top octave (10kHz-20kHz). I'm therefore questioning the whole "valves for a smoother/richer/warmer presentation" generalisation given how much it is evidently dependent on the impedance curve of the speakers.

I prefer all three aforementioned speakers on my solid-state amp, they're less forward/bright/in your face but also more open/spacious/airy up top. I wish I still had the Q7s so that I could run the same comparison on those. I also wish I had a vintage push-pull valve amp to hand as it would be very interesting to compare it to the SET...

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't contribute to the OP, but on the subject of valve amps...

Having tried JR149, S3/5R2, and Tannoy Autograph Mini on a SET I found that they all undergo essentially the same tuning manipulation, namely emphasised upper mids and treble (2kHz-10kHz) and a rolled-off top octave (10kHz-20kHz). I'm therefore questioning the whole "valves for a smoother/richer/warmer presentation" generalisation given how much it is evidently dependent on the impedance curve of the speakers.

I prefer all three aforementioned speakers on my solid-state amp, they're less forward/bright/in your face but also more open/spacious/airy up top. I wish I still had the Q7s so that I could run the same comparison on those. I also wish I had vintage push-pull valve amp to hand as it would be very interesting to compare it to the SET...

You're mainly hearing "the most important thing in hi fi but which most audiophiles completely ignore"... NFB.... or in this case the absence of it. A proper valve amp ie push pull and with feedback will sound very different.

Right now, I am using a late Quad 34/QSP combo with my 1998 11 ohm Spendors and it sounds bloody divine.

Those tone controls on the 34 come in handy on occasion, though.

Was going to sell the Spendors, but now I have them in free space in front of a very comfortable chesterfield, I am having second thoughts.

Right now, I am using a late Quad 34/QSP combo with my 1998 11 ohm Spendors and it sounds bloody divine.

Those tone controls on the 34 come in handy on occasion, though.

Was going to sell the Spendors, but now I have them in free space in front of a very comfortable chesterfield, I am having second thoughts.

I must get my 34 out from the wardrobe. Interesting you're on using it with a QSP, as in unusual :) (in my experience anyway !)

I must get my 34 out from the wardrobe. Interesting you're on using it with a QSP, as in unusual :) (in my experience anyway !)
A QSP is just a 606 under the skin, so figured a 34 would be a good match. Turns out it’s great. Could do with at least 3 level matched line inputs though.

A QSP is just a 606 under the skin, so figured a 34 would be a good match. Turns out it’s great. Could do with at least 3 level matched line inputs though.

I'm genuinely intrigued by the combination, most left field as far as Quad gear is concerned . Cool choice !

I'm genuinely intrigued by the combination, most left field as far as Quad gear is concerned . Cool choice !
My 34 is an orange logo one and one of the last 1000 or so out of the factory, so probably about 27 years old. Seemed like an obvious choice to go with the QSP!

I have some and with exposure 2010S2, wonderful!

I also really liked them with Audia Flight FL3S and Mastersound 211.

Well I decided to take the plunge with the ex display Primare i15MM & it's matching CD15 Prisma. No regrets so far, great match up with the Stirling V3s, no artificially extended treble or bloated bass to give that instant showroom dem appeal that quickly wears off. Sound just on the warm side of neutral (just the way I like it), even handed & completely non fatiguing, they just get out of the way & let the Stirlings do what they do best. Plus superb build quality that inspires confidence. Excellent MM phono stage as well.
Can understand why Falcon chose to use Primare to demo there LS3/5A.
TS

Sansui AU-G99X. $120 at the Goodwill, and I had to fix a cracked solder joint, so got to enjoy a triumph of amateur maintenance. That was back in 2014, but it's still #1.

advertisement

Back