advertisement

LS3/5a - what Amps are PF-ers using ?

For me there are 2 pieces of equipment that keep their own signature regardless of what equipment they are connected.
Naim Nait 2
Harbeth P3

I ran a gain-reduced Croft 25R with my 303 for a while and loved it, very similar to my current Verdier/303. With the right speakers, and LS3/5As certainly count, it does all I need and more. It sounds superb and just gets out of the way and allows the music to do its thing unhindered. I’ve run a valve pre/303 combo for at least a decade now and out of all the amps I have it is what I’d keep if I slimmed down to one system.

Same here for the 303 I feel. I always thought it sounded very similar to the Quad IIs but with more power. It's a gem indeed. And as for the cost of one ! Bonkers.

The V3 is an LS3/5a with an upgraded crossover by Derek Hughes.
The Falcon Gold is an LS3/5a with an upgraded crossover by Derek Hughes.

I'd love to do a comparison someday.

That’s news to me, that Derek Hughes was involved in any way with Falcon Acoustics.

I understood the Gold crossover was based on the one used in the Limited Edition
‘Kingswood Warren’ LS3/5a.
And the development work done at Falcon Acoustics in Stanton St. John.

I'm getting a tad confused on that specific issue, but generally it's clear there's a lot of love for these shoebox sized expensive speakers !

Had Stirling V2s, now have V3s. I have used a Khozmo passive/Leak Stereo 20, Ion Obelisk 3, Quad 33/303, Rotel A10 & currently using a Naim Nait 5si.
They all sound excellent in there own way. My experience is that the LS3/5A & close relatives are amongst the most amp agnostic speakers you can buy.
A couple of others I would love to try are a Sugden A21 & Radford ST15 or 25
TS
I ran some I upgraded with Radford sta 15 and 25s. Also my sta100 built as monoblocks. From sta 15 upwards they sounded amazing. Superbly musical and with unexpected bass heft

I ran some I upgraded with Radford sta 15 and 25s. Also my sta100 built as monoblocks. From sta 15 upwards they sounded amazing. Superbly musical and with unexpected bass heft

Radford amps are just stunning. Why did I let mine go ?!

…My experience is that the LS3/5A & close relatives are amongst the most amp agnostic speakers you can buy.
A couple of others I would love to try are a Sugden A21 & Radford ST15 or 25
TS

I Must disagree - I have not heard a pair for more than 30 years, but when traveling in Australia I worked in a HiFi Store in Bondi Junction - their best speakers were LS3/5as, especially matched with a top of the line NEC CDP (Never seen one since, stunning build and sound). Sounded great with all the shops amps, from lowly Nads and Rotels up to top of the line Japanese and Linn amps.

One day we sneaked the speakers and CDP to another store with a Musical Fidelity big **** off power amp (450? Huge black box with blue lettering :)). First listened to NEC CDP with MF and their AE1s on those big stands, stunning. Then replaced the AEs with the LS3/5as - best sound I ever heard except for some SF Extrema’s powered by the same SE valve hybrid amps I have now(except for my current ESL63s of course :)). LS3/5a with a bit of current into them sound stunning IMO but, yes, they sound good with almost anything.

Was truly stunned by the combination of mid 80's Rogers ls3 and a Leben 600 amplifier, so much detail from a little box.

I guess you should not look a gift horse in the mouth but it is the whole "amp agnostic" matter that has me a bit spooked with my initial experience with the LS 3/5a. Every other speaker I've owned has been very particular about their preferred dance partners....sometimes maddingly so.....

For me
- Falcon ls3/5a gold badge with Naim Nait2 Chrome Bumper
- Rogers ls3/5a classic (new) with Naim nac72/hicap-TPR4/nap140

They're a really easy load (and even easier if the 16R version) so anything will drive them fine.

I bought my Chartwells in 1978 and have used (nearly) a myriad of amps. Can't remember any problems except those inherent in the LS3/5a's themselves (very limited bass, very high distorsion in the little bass heard, the idiotic 125 Hz bump, high compression when trying to play loud...).

I'm surprised more people don't recommend run of the mill class AB or class D amps.
Mostly vintage/tube/class A recommends ?

Funny you should say that ... @Ianp take a look here

For those of you who haven't found this thread in the Classic section there's a desire for an LS3/5a (and other small sealed box speaker) shootout.

We're not far off sorting a possible venue near Worksop and then its the details of when, who, speaker list, kit, music etc etc but get involved if you would like :)

My goodness, thanks so much, this is less than an hour away from me ! I'm now watching that thread. Cheers.

advertisement

Back