advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon' #2

Perhaps I should add that the RubiKon (both versions) is £1250 from an authorised dealer (at present this is Cymbiosis or StudioAV), not the £1800/1900 mentioned on the Naim forum (a bargain :)).

It comes with all the hardware required for a perfect installation.

We don't.

Open to contact from any dealer/distributor in France who may be interested.

Andrew.

I'm afraid I have to wait such a long time before any dealer/distributor would be interested in any way in such product; There are so few dealers (any brand) offering analog products here and even less Linn authorized dealers. I'm not sure they will be allowed (if interested) to sell this product. :(

A direct distribution from Audioflat (or any other UK structure) would be the more apropriate way of reaching us here in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and other continental countries. :)

Excuse my bad english, hope it has some sense.

Best wishes and good luck, your Rubikon is so gorgeous and looks as a perfect match with the design of the Aro imho.

Jacques

Hi Jaques and thank you for your kind words.

We wont' sell direct, it must be through a dealer.

Surely your local dealer would be interested in selling you something! That's what they make money from. All we ask is that they know how to setup an LP12 properly (we have a few questions that need answering to prove this).

Perhaps you could contact one of the UK dealers to make a trip to France for a RubiKon 'clinic'?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew & Mark,

I was just wondering if you were going to post any needle drops for the Aro version?

Sharif

To be honest, I would rather people made up their mind from a proper demonstration at an actual dealer.

When one listens to a needle-drop one is listening to the deck, arm, cartridge and recording equipment - not to mention what equipment the recording is subsequently listened to with (this often seems to be nothing more than ones PC speakers). Needle-drops are fun - but I'm not convinced they are anything more than that.

I've just been looking at the Rega geometry with a view to designing the Rega armboard. I had hoped that it would be possible to avoid the corner brace but some initial drawings suggest this is unlikely. However, I see that Rega use a non-standard alignment and theoretically lower distortion can be had if one uses Baerwald. Rega state a record centre to bearing pivot distance of 222mm, but a distance of 219.5mm may be more appropriate.

Has anyone tried such a mounting geometry?

There's plenty of weight behind that choice over on Vinyl Engine. Seems like Rega biased towards lowest EOS distortion at the cost of overall distortion.

Yes, I've just been having a look at that; I will have to have a closer look at the Rega rational though.

I was browsing through the specs for various SMEs this morning and found that the M10-2 is mounted at 222mm spindle to pivot, same as the Rega.

Thanks for that :) - I have, in fact, decided to go with 222mm as this will mean it is compatible with other arms that use the Rega geometry.

Yes, still waiting on the plinth - but that isn't the issue; it's more to do with my work load - I think I'm down to fit it next weekend (I'm rather looking forward to it).

Does surface treatment play a part in the sound of this thing?

When we moved into our house it came with a front door bell suspended by a curver steel spring, and a clapper activated by a wire cable connected to the pull knob next to the front door. Some years later I stripped the bell and clapper of its one-time fashionable paint job and was stunned by the bell's transformation. It was actually a properly cast bronze bell with a nice pure tone, but a coat of paint turned its sound to a dull thunk.

David

Yes, you are quite right David, different surface treatments do sound different - or at least, they impact upon the sound of the finished component. It is not by accident that each part of the RubiKon is separately hard anodised prior to assembly. I could have opted for a painted finish, or to have only the top layer of the armboard anodised (the armboard is two layers).

RubiKon for ARO being fitted to my deck NOW!

It looks superb with the brushed black anodised finish next to the brushed stainless of the top plate.

Listening tomorrow :)

Andrew

You can avoid the corner brace with the Rega. You just have to put it more centrally on the armboard and therefore further back. I did mine for the Grace, which is the same thing, but also gave it a little wriggle-room with a 19.5mm hole. Obviously it's not in the same spindle line as the Ittok, but it's not miles away. The hole just skirts the inside of the top and top-right screw holes (of the six) in a standard Ittok board.

Christian

Well, I have now completely fitted a production RubiKon to Andrews deck, complete with a shiny new ARO (RubiKon for ARO obviously :)) and we have had a listen - conclusion....two very happy chaps.

Everything fitted A1 and it was really surprisingly easy to get just the suspension bounce I wanted.

In terms pf sound quality, I am delighted.

Installed the RubiKon for ARO into my system tonight.

The extra insight into the timbre of notes and an increase in leading edge attack, without any hint of hardness, is most welcome.

On the evidence so far I prefer the ARO over the Ittok.

As far as looks go, wow! The RubiKon looks stunning when fitted.

Andrew.

advertisement

Back