advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon' #2

wylymon

Well, I suppose it's time for me to say how I thought the Keel compared to the RubiKon. To be honest, this is a bit tricky for me as I designed the RubiKon and it sounds the way that I intended; inevitably, that is the sound I prefer. The Keel sounds a bit less 'vivid' and a bit warmer - slightly 'creamy' in the lower registers perhaps'; the Rubikon has more emphasis on the leading edge of notes (though it's not harsh or bright in the sense that speakers, or electronics, can be). Eventually Peter expressed a preference for the Keel but was happy to agree that the RubiKon was a significant distance toward the Keel and hugely superior to the standard chassis; he even agreed that an element of personal preference may see peoples opinion of the two chassis' varying

WOW! The Guru of Linn Turntables has given his blessing! I personally want my turntable to give me the info that is on the record and nothing more. God only knows all the other pieces of electronics and speakers will take the turntables signal and add their own. I don't want a recessed midrange..........when you are 58 like me......." you live in the midrange" The Rubicon sounds perfect to me and probably many others. The Linn open ethos is real not BS........This is the beginning of great things for Linn and I am darn proud of Peter and Linn for taking a huge step forward. Andrew you did the right thing in going to the dealers instead of around them. Outsiders can become part of the team as long as they stay within the dealer network.
Without the dealers Linn would have surely gone bankrupt along time ago. Again congrats.......now get the Rubicon into the USA pronto.......Are you listening ThomasOK in Ann Arbor Michigan?:D

wylymon.

Thanks!

We like what it does.

ThomasOK is already aware of the RubiKon.

One step at a time, lets get some made first and then think about international markets.

Andrew.

I am confused, I thought YNWOAN was the designer.

The first paragraph of wylymon's post is a direct quote of mine from post #4 in this thread - but he hasn't placed it within quotation marks, or a quote box, which does make things rather confusing.

Well, I suppose it's time for me to say how I thought the Keel compared to the RubiKon. To be honest, this is a bit tricky for me as I designed the RubiKon and it sounds the way that I intended; inevitably, that is the sound I prefer. The Keel sounds a bit less 'vivid' and a bit warmer - slightly 'creamy' in the lower registers perhaps'; the Rubikon has more emphasis on the leading edge of notes (though it's not harsh or bright in the sense that speakers, or electronics, can be). Eventually Peter expressed a preference for the Keel but was happy to agree that the RubiKon was a significant distance toward the Keel and hugely superior to the standard chassis; he even agreed that an element of personal preference may see peoples opinion of the two chassis' varying.

So sorry YNWOAN for the error. Perhaps the Administrator can put it in a quote box or just eliminate the post. I don't want to confuse the reader.

James

James.

Dont worry. We all know your post had the best of intentions. ThomasOK has posted on the Linn forum BTW!

Regards

Andrew.

So sorry YNWOAN for the error. Perhaps the Administrator can put it in a quote box or just eliminate the post. I don't want to confuse the reader.

James

Doesn't really matter :)

It is possible to edit your own posts though; you just put (quote=YNWOAN) at the beginning of the quote and (/quote) at the end - but replace the ( and ) with [ and ] - that puts the text in a quotation box :).

Congrats Mark and Andrew! Sounds like you've got a real winner on your hands. If I ever got right with God and went back to vinyl, I'd love to hear what the Rubikon does.

Hopefully, I'll run into one stateside at some point. Definitely get one to Dave Dever at NaimUSA when you can. Dave will carry the mail;-)

regards,

dave

So I am just waiting for the final quotes to come through for manufacturing the RubiKon.

I estimate 2 months for a production example to be made, maybe less.

Andrew.

With reference to Peter's comment on a slight difference in presentation between the Keel and the Rubikon, would it be fair to characterise the Rubikon as leaning towards the sound of Mark's deck. 'A little bit Naimyness for your LP12?'

With reference to Peter's comment on a slight difference in presentation between the Keel and the Rubikon, would it be fair to characterise the Rubikon as leaning towards the sound of Mark's deck. 'A little bit Naimyness for your LP12?'

Yes, perhaps there is truth in this. It wasn't specifically my intention to 'voice' the RubiKon in a Naim style; but now that I have directly compared it to the Keel it could be said to have such a quality - tight and slightly dry sounding with the emphasis more towards the pluck of notes, rather than the decay, high levels of information retrieval with good dynamic contrast. It's not as 'black and white' as such a description would imply but it certainly reflects the qualities I feel are important in conveying the musical message. The whole 'ability to follow the tune' is a tricky thing as I rather feel it depends on what cues and patterns one listens to in the music (sorry, I've not explained that very well) and this is very much a personal thing IMHO.

At the end of the day I am happy with the performance level achieved. As mentioned earlier, the RubiKon was designed without reference to an existing design and developed to perform at its best. In such a situation there is always the danger that one is taking the component in a direction away from the taste of potential users. Although I did have this in mind during the design process, and am very familiar with the sound of the kind of systems such a components is likely to be used in, I was still pleased that Peter was able to confirm that my aims had been achieved.

Fair play to Linn! Seriously, that is good to hear.

Indeed they have been most supportive. I have emailed them at every stage asking for permission to post about the progress of the RubiKon. They are totally happy aslong as I don't 'sell' on their forum, which I will not do.

Andrew.

advertisement

Back