advertisement

LP12 Refurbishment - do I need a new top plate.

The TV unit is solid wood and heavy, if I still had a wall shelf, I might take the Tramp2 off, but I also have a 5 year old…

A wall shelf may be part of my future plans, so it may well go bottomless (I sold my two audiotech wall shelves for peanuts years ago, what was I thinking!).

I had a couple of hours free yesterday, so I took it to bits and put it back together with the Cirkus bearing and the Tacia Mushrooms from RS.
Setting the height was really simple, no bounce or arm dressing to worry about; I used M5 thumb screws that made it even easier.

IMG_8092.jpg

I had a quick listen last night and was quite shocked in the improvement it clarity and imaging; especially vocals, they just sit there between the 'speakers now. I get the bass bloom comments now it seems to have gone.

Changes where Cirkus bearing, sub-platter and sub-chassis, new arm board and the mushrooms, the removed parts where white liner bearing, sub-platter and bonded type sub-chassis, older laminated arm board and 'nirvana' springs and grommets.

Taking it apart, lots of the parts where Linn tight, the old laminated arm board has indents where the arm collar and arm rest was fitted; I put it back together with a bit more mechanical sympathy, tight enough.

IMG_8094.jpg

It's just plonked down on an old TV unit, with a thin magazine under the right hand side to make it level...

It has a trampolin 2, which worked better than no base in the old set up on the same TV unit.

Started looking into cartridges now, vinyl may be making a comeback in my system..!

I didn't do anything to the top plate or the plinth, I will probably take it to bits again and change the mains cable and the tone arm cable, but that may be some time as I want to listen to a few more records.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Do you have an rs part number for the mushrooms ?
I can’t seem to find anything of that description. 🤔

Follow the link above, it takes you to the RS item, they are £10.72 each.
Hi Seyles.
I have ordered a set of the isolators in your link from RS and they will be delivered in a week or so.
What is not clear from your photo is, do you have to remove the inner brass sleeve from the silicon?
The spec for the RS part states that it is suitable for 4mm or less studs, but the LP12 studs are 5mm?
I haven’t taken mine apart for a couple of years so I was hoping to be fully prepared before trying to fit these things.
Cheers.
Steve

Yes, remove the brass collars; the Audiosilente and Linnart ones are the same thing, sold without the collars.
The collars push out easily.

I’d recommend the M5 thumb screws for adjustment, makes it so easy to adjust the level compared to using a spanner on nylock nuts.

Yes, remove the brass collars; the Audiosilente and Linnart ones are the same thing, sold without the collars.

I’d recommend the M5 thumb screws for adjustment, makes it so easy to adjust the level compared to using a spanner on nylock nuts.
Thanks. I have bought some M5 thumb screws as I am of the same mind as you with regard to set up. 👍
steve

It looks like you used washers too?
Are they standard 5mm?

advertisement

Back