advertisement

LP Playback: Is It Really Reference-Quality?

Interestingly I know a producer who will happily put his sounds through cassette tape a few times, to capture the 'romance' (wow and flutter, compressed dynamic range) of tape, which does give a lovely sound if done right.

Which is why there are now tape and vinyl emulator plugins for studio audio workstation programs. :)

does anyone else feel that all that is just silly
Make music
record it best you can
play it back accurate as poss.
The rest is like plastic surgery. Looks great from a distance, but????
What happened to honest simplicity?

AD/DA cannot even come close to vinyl for me. its not even close. but for anything modern, vinyl makes no sense, imo the sound is worse, but for jazz or rock up to the 80's, vinyl format sounds much better

does anyone else feel that all that is just silly
Make music
record it best you can
play it back accurate as poss.
The rest is like plastic surgery. Looks great from a distance, but????
What happened to honest simplicity?

I've been resisting but yep. I'm vinyl only and spotify for when I'm away or want to check out something before I stump up the readies.
I can understand why people like the 'sound' of vinyl but if I had a flood or something and lost my collection I'd just go digital. It would be a relief in a way, I've got a lot of records and can't be arsed to sell them. I'm an old school hi-fi buff and want to hear what was on the master tape. I would miss the sleeves mind.

There again some kind of app on the MacBook where I could download the sleeves would do.

Here is a business idea:

A music library that presents as sleeve spines. Click on the spine and the cover appears, swipe the cover and it opens to gatefold swipe again and you get the back. double click and you get the inner sleeve, swipe and get the label. Click on the label and it plays. File them as you like so you can lose one in your collection too.:)

Jim used to be the distributor for Audiopax and Avantgarde. When Eduardo was being a p.i.t.a, he was extremely helpful to me. Given some of the crap set up tables I've seen from 'dealers' over the years, most of what he says is true.
Given that, I don't give a flying ---- if it sounds like the master tape (how many of us have even heard master tapes?) as long as it sounds good to my ears.

I have two dac, one OS and one NOS
schiit eitr in to Schiit Yggdrasil
ec design mosaic t

they dont even come close to a sl-1200 with a denon dl103r and good phonostage

You are right, I'm sure they couldn't come close to sounding like a sl-1200 with a denon dl103r and none of it would sound anything at all like an LP12, Ittock, Asaka.

ec design mosaic t

Good.

I have a Tascam DA3000 and it sounds the same as a SME30/12a with Lyra Kleos. :)

Just to point out. Master tape rarely sounds as good as a good desk driven properly as you mix. Mixing in the old days was a performance in itself and it was rare, before recall etc etc, that you could nail it twice in a row with the same vibe. Half a db difference on an FX send or return could change the character of a mix. This became particularly relevant as we moved towards 24 tracks and beyond. Prior to that virtually everything was mixed to stems. Many people who worked to tape still use stems, it the younger mixers who have worked almost wholly "in the box" who send songs to be mixed with 80+ tracks. If you think that's taking the rise, consider this. Each "Ooooo" and "Ahhhh" on 10cc's I'm not in love, is four voices overdubbed at least 14 times and mixed to Stereo.

ec design mosaic t

I'm not familiar with Schiit Audio but all of the products you list appear to be D/A converters.

As I have little long term memory these days, I just found a load of files I took from my SP10 mk3 equipped with an SPU on Ortolan 12" arm. Recorded using a Metric Halo ULN-2 in both raw format (for use with Pure Vinyl on the Mac) and EQ'ed.

Good but I do prefer the SME and DSD.

Absolutely. But I would never assert that my old Triumph, Hesketh, Bristol, Morgan or Land Rovers are objectively "better" than a modern car.

OK, the Triump, a 1997 model, is almost modern, and unlike the pre-Hinckley Triumphs, doesn't leak oil, starts every time, and the electrics don't cut out in rain, so not sure it counts... :)

Of course. It's not about the old stuff being 'better', it's largely nostalgia, but it is often arguable that the enginering quality, durability and 'built to lastness' of the stuff is a joyous thing.

Any specific reason to stick to CD-R instead of flash memory or hard disk?

The Yamaha has no USB connectivity and it is in the hi-fi rack well away from the PC. So the simplest thing is to burn to a disc. It has a removeable hard drive though and I have sometimes wondered if I could make recordings to it and then remove it and put it into some sort of device/caddy or whatever that would allow me to conect direct to the PC. It would save a lot of 'faff'. I suppose it depends on whether Yamaha use a 'Codec and filing system that will translate on a PC., but that is orders of magnitude beyond my understanding of digital/PC stuff.

Mull

Of course. It's not about the old stuff being 'better', it's largely nostalgia, but it is often arguable that the enginering quality, durability and 'built to lastness' of the stuff is a joyous thing.

I agree 100% (except the days I curse the parts falling off).

Mull
I believe there is similarity between old machinery, be it cars Hi-Fi or whatever and that is "quality". This can, of course, be replicated today but any old "stuff" still around was usually well made.

Amstrad.jpg

Simply aging people like the objects of desire from their youth and a percentage of the youth like to be different and eccentric.

Nothing wrong with either of those.

Are you going to claim that an Amstrad tape deck was "quality"?

For one perspective, here is a quote from Neil Dorfsman, co-producer and engineer of "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits (the first popular album recorded digitally):

"I'd never liked the way analogue tape changed the sound — I was always disappointed with what was played back right after recording. I didn't like the way it changed the bottom end and softened things. A lot of people do like that, but I never did. And when people asked me, after Brothers In Arms came out, whether I'd changed my miking technique or style of recording to accommodate digital, I told them I'd done exactly the same things that I'd done with analogue, but without having to worry about adding extra top end because it would degenerate."

For one perspective, here is a quote from Neil Dorfsman, co-producer and engineer of "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits (the first popular album recorded digitally):

"I'd never liked the way analogue tape changed the sound — I was always disappointed with what was played back right after recording. I didn't like the way it changed the bottom end and softened things. A lot of people do like that, but I never did. And when people asked me, after Brothers In Arms came out, whether I'd changed my miking technique or style of recording to accommodate digital, I told them I'd done exactly the same things that I'd done with analogue, but without having to worry about adding extra top end because it would degenerate."
However the album on vinyl is pretty much indistinguishable vs CD so what's the big deal? If what he says is true it seems like he was doing it wrong with vinyl all along....

advertisement

Back