advertisement

LP Cleaning..the cheapest way, and it works

If I do get the chance to visit I will try and find a Scottish guest house! (and drink water from a mountain spring)

There is a spring about two-miles from my house. They built a little spout and pool around it. You often see people filling up piles of plastic water bottles ;0)

Found a picture!! :0)

895621_94d19b26.jpg

There is a spring about two-miles from my house. They built a little spout and pool around it. You often see people filling up piles of plastic water bottles ;0)

Found a picture!! :0)

895621_94d19b26.jpg

Looks like a nice place to live.

Well said, And add to this the antistatic gunge. The problem is that this deterioration willl not be noticed by those with a system that resolves the information from the groove insufficiently.

Talk about arrogant.....you haven't a clue what sort of system was used to test the records. ..

Cleaning a not very dirty record on the Keith Monks RCM using the VPI cleaning fluid makes for a very noticable difference in the sound (better) and an elimination of static. I have also used Nitty Gritty fluid, that works as well.

Cleaning a not very dirty record on the Keith Monks RCM using the VPI cleaning fluid makes for a very noticable difference in the sound (better) and an elimination of static. I have also used Nitty Gritty fluid, that works as well.

I'd agree with all of that, but, with respect, it misses the point. I have used good rcms for twenty years, and believed all the stuff about distilled water, 'special' stuff like art d sol (which I have often used.) and so on. All I am saying is that I have now seen, and heard, that simple efforts without machines and special fluids can work just as well, at a fraction of the cost.
And, yes, I have been listening on high resoution systems entirely capable of revealing what is on the records.
No-one need lose sleep over this. The claim is either true or it isn't. Get a few old records, hand clean by whatever method you prefer, judge for yourself.Too much of what 'experts' tell us is founded on repetition of hoary old claims and the argument of commercial interests. Find out for yourself (but use old records while you experiment, until you are satisfied.)

When I need some more cleaning fluid do I buy some more of the Knosti stuff or is there somethine else I can make up or by resonable cheap :rolleyes:

Would it be worth using some sort of rinse agent like the stuff you get for the dishwasher:eek:

Alan

I think this is a look in your kettle type of thread!

If you live in Kent like I do the inside of your kettle wil look like the white cliffs of Dover, as will the grooves of your records if you let them anywhere near the local tap water!

If you live on exmoor your kettle will look exactly as it did the day you bought it. Feel free to give your records a bath!

It isn't exactly rocket science is it!

I think this is a look in your kettle type of thread!

If you live in Kent like I do the inside of your kettle wil look like the white cliffs of Dover, as will the grooves of your records if you let them anywhere near the local tap water!

If you live on exmoor your kettle will look exactly as it did the day you bought it. Feel free to give your records a bath!

It isn't exactly rocket science is it!

Maybe you should instead look at a wine glass after washing and drying it. Your comparison is irrelevant unless your crazy enough to let your record air dry.

I rinse them with tap water and dry them off afterward with a microfiber cloth followed up with a hairdryer on low temp. I can play them immediately afterward with no problem.

And where exactly do I buy a microfibre cloth capable of drying my record down to the last 10 molecules of water and one of dissolved salts?

Clue - record grooves diffract light so the information stored in them is down to a few tens of atoms wide!

If you're going to wash them with something it stands to reason that it must be reasonably hard solute free. Some tap water just ain't like that. This method may well work for some people in some places but for others its an absolute recipe for disater!

If you wash your records every day in tap water then there could be a problem but for the one off wash and dry off with microfiber cloth I don't see a problem.And when they only cost 50p from charity shop you got nothing to loose.

I don't get the religious fervour this thread is attracting. Your records, your rules. My records, my rules. It's an absolute recipe for disaster? If you like. I'll decide what to do though, based on my own experiments. As for looking in the kettle, that might be relevant if I were boiling water in my records. I'm not so the relevant chemical reaction isn't happening and the limescale stays in solution and the water drains off. Really though, I don't care what anyone else does. If they want to use DI water and examine records with an eyeglass afterwards, it's a free country.

my first post! if you wanted to be bothered, you could use distilled water instead of tap water..its hard water down here..i havent noticed any problems..i have a high resolution system[i think].and using micro porous sponges..makes it even higher resolution..with respect, if people wish to disparage this cheap cleaning method..perhaps they could try it first? then provide a opinion..and if they tried it they might say? this is a effective method of cleaning seondhand records cheaply!

"Buy a bottle of anti-static blind cleaner spray from any supermarket"

Had a quick look in Asda & couldn't see any product fitting this description.

"Buy a bottle of anti-static blind cleaner spray from any supermarket"

Had a quick look in Asda & couldn't see any product fitting this description.
i bought mine in aldi.called power force anti static blind cleaner [the problem with aldi stuff is once a year..i bought 3 x 500ml spray bottles..it wasnt cheap!..if i had known it was so effective i would have bought more..i initially bought it for my hifi eqpt..to try and keep the dust off things..it didnt occur to me to put it on records..i started using it on tops of cds..with good effect..i then bought a very dirty s/h record and thought why not? it worked!:)

advertisement

Back