advertisement

LP 12 'sound'

I have always kept my LP12 pretty much all Linn except for cartridges. Why because I like the LP12 sound as it is. I have heard non-standard LP12s and whilst some were good, they were often different, but for me, the Linn sound is more pleasing. Nothing inherently wrong in wanting to change the LP12 so it sounds better for you but for many like me. we are happy with the house sound.

I have always kept my LP12 pretty much all Linn except for cartridges. Why because I like the LP12 sound as it is.
I agree up to a point. I think you can use some alternative parts. The Hercules PSU is basically a two-speed Valhalla for instance. The Minos and Zeus fit the narrative too, in fact I think they sound more 'Linn' than the first Lingo does.

I think there is less tonal difference between the Akito and Rega RB303 than there is between the Cirkus and pre-Cirkus. And the Akito does not sound like the Basik or Ittok. I'm running a Rega Ania Pro just now and I think it sounds more like a Troika than the Klyde does. I have an RB3000 on my main LP12 and it sounds more 'Linn' than an Ittok.

So what is the Linn sound? Seems to me to be whatever Linn say it is. And that has changed over the years. I love the LP12 sound but some other companies make parts which are more LP12 sound than some Linn parts.

The plinth is more tied to the motor via the top plate and ideally would dissipate the motor vibrations from the turntable which happens with the right feet and support.

The subchassis via the springs, In-Soles or mushrooms isolates the platter and tonearm from the other parts of the turntable.

You ^

Also you ^
Ah, my apologies Mr Pig! I didn't realise that you are communicating in a foreign language, English is tricky, even for us native speakers! I'll try to explain it to you in the tried and tested way we Engliah use for those not from our shores.
YES, A PLINTH IS IMPORTANT TO THE SOUND OF THE LP12, BUT IF THEY ARE WELL MADE AND OF THE CORRECT DIMENSIONS, THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME.

Sorry, but i still prefer a non fluted plinth.
The fluted ones look very dated to me now but each to their own.

Not a Linn owner, but I think the fluted plinth gives the LP12 its classic look. AFAIK there is nothing else in the world of TTs like it. The proportions of the flutes are perfect to my eyes, working effectively with the height of the platter. The bevelled, black-painted bottom is an integral part of the design.

Linns flute design has never changed, suggesting to me that they know they got it right the first time. It is an elegant design that imv adds perceived value to the deck, & I'd have no other. I also prefer the original logo on the armboard. I love the look of @SteveG's deck. 🥰

Solid, non-fluted plinths turn the LP12 into just another 1970s Thorens type deck, only boxier. The colour & grain of the wood makes no difference. I'll not wave away anyones preference for a solid plinth but, to me, *this* is a dated look.

Not a Linn owner, but I think the fluted plinth gives the LP12 its classic look. AFAIK there is nothing else in the world of TTs like it. The proportions of the flutes are perfect to my eyes, working effectively with the height of the platter. The bevelled, black-painted bottom is an integral part of the design.

Linns flute design has never changed, suggesting to me that they know they got it right the first time. It is an elegant design that imv adds perceived value to the deck, & I'd have no other. I also prefer the original logo on the armboard. I love the look of @SteveG's deck. 🥰

Solid, non-fluted plinths turn the LP12 into just another 1970s Thorens type deck, only boxier. The colour & grain of the wood makes no difference. I'll not wave away anyones preference for a solid plinth but, to me, *this* is a dated look.
Not all Linn fluted plinths have the black skirt, just the older ones.

I have always kept my LP12 pretty much all Linn except for cartridges. Why because I like the LP12 sound as it is. I have heard non-standard LP12s and whilst some were good, they were often different, but for me, the Linn sound is more pleasing. Nothing inherently wrong in wanting to change the LP12 so it sounds better for you but for many like me. we are happy with the house sound.
My problem with the Linn upgrade path is the sheer cost of the individual items and the very small upgrades or sometimes just differences, that they bring.

As an example, the current price of Karousel is more than my entire LP12/Ittok/Hercules has cost me over the last 19 years plus that had a K9 and original boxes for arm and turntable thrown it for good measure. ( not including cartridges I have bought.)
Just to add insult to injury, the Karousel isnt designed to work with a Valhalla type PSU, so linn expect you to buy a Lingo of some sort or a Radikal.

Agree a fluted LP12 is just perfect in my eyes and as you say it's what distinguished it from other decks like as you say a Thorens.
I remember seeing the LP12 as a teenager for the first time with audiophile aspirations at my Linn dealers with Ittok and Asak cartridge and it was in this very dry Afromosia fluted plinth and it was love at first sight.
The Ittok arm was beautiful and so well engineered with the gauges and red dots and the red dot on the end of the Asak cartridge

Also the LP12 lettering on the original arm board to my eyes is just perfect who ever did it got it absolutely spot on
And it's just what makes an LP12 so iconic .

I am on my third LP12 and it's black Ash non fluted it's nice enough looking but from across the lounge it doesn't leap out LP12 to my eyes.in a way that the fluted one's do.

As to the LP12 sound you can only really reference the black liner bearing as it was the start.
Amazing transient slam and the upper bass hump ....but so exciting.
Everything from there on has been a way to get rid of it by Linn by more refinement.
The Karousel which I have is a fine illustration of that .Lower noise floor very smooth sounding and neutral.

Out of curiosity why did Linn stop making the fluted plinths ?......more profit in non fluted I suspect

I know you buy them as an extra but I think they are in the region of £900 for the cheapest

Last edited:
The Karousel is far from a small upgrade and is probably aimed at people interested in improving the sound of their decks, which is why they wouldn’t be bothered maintaining compatibility with Valhalla, as anyone still on that train isn’t the target for a £700 bearing.

The Karousel is far from a small upgrade and is probably aimed at people interested in improving the sound of their decks, which is why they wouldn’t be bothered maintaining compatibility with Valhalla, as anyone still on that train isn’t the target for a £700 bearing.
Easy for you to say…..
Not everyone can afford or wants to spend that much on a bearing alone.

Easy for you to say…..
Not everyone can afford or wants to spend that much on a bearing alone.
And the Karousel as great as it is now up to £900 as an upgrade and you will need a minimum of a Majik sub chassis if your deck is an older one.
So your looking at at least £1400 to go Karousel
I think I payed £700 for mine about 3 years ago.
Concur Linns prices on upgrades are ...shall we say pricey

Absolutely! I have friends that spend what I consider an insane amount on bicycles.

But I don’t resent their expenditure on what is clearly their decision and their passion.

I also don’t consider the bicycle manufacturer at fault.

"WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE FOR THAT CLAIM ?"

Years and years of fettling and listening. Just like yours

Last edited:
I auditioned two turntables one was the Logic 101 mk2 and the other was the LP12, I came away with the Logic.

I had the Logic for years but had to let it go because I couldn't obtain the springs for the suspension as the company closed.
Guess what the Logic's replacement was?

I auditioned two turntables one was the Logic 101 mk2 and the other was the LP12, I came away with the Logic.

I had the Logic for years but had to let it go because I couldn't obtain the springs for the suspension as the company closed.
Guess what the Logic's replacement was?
Technics?

Think the Karousel is now £900.

Truer words were never spoken! 👍

I'm very happy with my Karousel ... it certainly did improve the sound of my deck.

PS: and I have it working quite happily with my 'Tranquility'! 😮

advertisement

Back