advertisement

LP 12 'sound'

matfff

pfm Member
Was having a conversation with a chap who told me that he had changed his plinth for one made of bamboo and his deck now had a new 'sound' which he found pleasing.
I was puzzled by this, as apart from looking good, having the right dimensions and being sturdy enough for the other bits and bobs to be bolted to, if these are all true, how does the material of construction effect the 'sound'?

The Booplinth sounds like what you are describing. One piece design, eliminates quite a few screwed and glued together parts.

Was having a conversation with a chap who told me that he had changed his plinth for one made of bamboo and his deck now had a new 'sound' which he found pleasing.

Aah, a 'Booplinth'! 👍

I was puzzled by this, as apart from looking good, having the right dimensions and being sturdy enough for the other bits and bobs to be bolted to, if these are all true, how does the material of construction effect the 'sound'?

As James says:

Wood species have different physical characteristics. It affects how they conduct and drain spurious vibration and energy from the motor, tonearm/cart to ground.

Linn have spent a lot of time and money developing a new super-dooper plinth made of a beech ply similar to 'Panzerholtz'. Evidently, they tried several different 'versions' of this ply, before arriving at the best-sounding one.

But, James ... I canot agree with your comment about 'Black Ash' sounding the best. Chris Harban of Woodsong (in the States) used to make beautiful LP12 plinths out of all kinds of exotic timber; I think his conclusion was that the best sound came from a wood which:
1. was in a certain density range
2. and had a wavy grain - ie. not a straight grain.

Ash, I believe, has a very straight grain.

Aaaah…the Fooplinth. Has it not raised its controversial head before? Oh wait, was that the thunder that I heard ? Up on the hill, a flash of light? Yes… it’s the defenders of the faith, riding in to burn the heretics….:cool:🥵

You are wrong, James. Everyone and I mean everyone knows that the fluted plinth not only looks but sounds the best. ;)
I cannot disagree with the better look of a fluted plinth. It is quintessentially Linn. But I'll have to disagree on the choice of wood. I don't think Linn ever produced a fluted black Ash LP12, but that didn't stop a dealer I once knew from spray painting an Afro deck black just because the customer wanted a black LP12 with flutes. Sacrilege!

I don't think Linn ever produced a fluted black Ash LP12.
Of course Linn themselves have never produced a plinth of any kind, until now. All of their wood plinths were bought in from various suppliers and vary in quality. None are terrible though.

But, yes they have sold a fluted black plinth. Quite rare but I've seen one. They also sold a very rare piano black fluted plinth. Seen one of those too.

Back to the one plinth they have actually manufactured themselves, the current fiftieth anniversary whatsit. The reason they have made this one themselves is that it's CNCed out of a solid block of material and they already have the machines to do that. It's no different from machining a block of aluminium. Also interesting is the bollocks about the rounded corners being a design choice, an expensive design choice at that. Nothing at all to do with the fact that CNC machines cannot cut sharp internal corners...

I had foolishly sold off my fluted plinthed LP12 for little money way back, and replaced it with a black ash, fully updated LP12.

I still miss the looks of that old sucker. Often I find myself thinking about buying back another one whenever I see it for sale, just to have it and maybe play it for old times sake. Maybe I should just shoot myself too for having such thoughts...

I still see every day and cherish my fluted Sondek which I bought in the early 80s. I don't listen to it every day, but when I do it sounds vastly better than it did back then. When I go in I will leave it to my son. It is far too pretty to sell.
onsondek4.jpg

I do think the Booplinth looks quite nice though.

I just don't see how a plinth with effect the 'sound'. Caveats, as long as all the comparators meet the above criteria, i.e correct, dimensions and sturdy enough for the job.
I'll go further, I don't think a top plate effects the 'sound', neither does a sub chassis. They have to have the correct dimensions and be true, if that's the case, then their all the same, there is no 'sound' difference.
Whilst were on the subject, as long as the wire is the correct specification for the job of conveying the signal to the phono stage, that doesn't effect the 'sound' either.
How you bolt it all together, different entirely!

The Mk1 Stiletto had radii on the armboard cutout, which got sorted on the Mk2. Only a cosmetic difference I believe but its nice to have it right.

Makes a silly difference over a stock plinth, really significant improvement in all areas.

Fluted is best - this is mine:
174631122.119ddb92.JPEG

If I hadn't just bought 2 turntables I'd have been very tempted by the one Mr. Pig is selling! I'm amazed it's not sold yet.

I just don't see how a plinth with effect the 'sound'. Caveats, as long as all the comparators meet the above criteria, i.e correct, dimensions and sturdy enough for the job.
I'll go further, I don't think a top plate effects the 'sound', neither does a sub chassis. They have to have the correct dimensions and be true, if that's the case, then their all the same, there is no 'sound' difference.
With this in mind, I wonder if it’s time to challenge those who claim turntables can sound different.

I’ve had similar thoughts about speakers - and food..

Fluted is best - this is mine:
174631122.119ddb92.JPEG

If I hadn't just bought 2 turntables I'd have been very tempted by the one Mr. Pig is selling! I'm amazed it's not sold yet.
Sorry, but i still prefer a non fluted plinth.
The fluted ones look very dated to me now but each to their own.
The one that Mr pig is selling does look very good value though👍

advertisement

Back