advertisement

Low end Naim Question

regafan

pfm Member
Hello,
I have a serviced 150X that Ive had a few years, have been unwilling to sell on.
I use it for excitement as it does things Quad doesn't! (My usual amps are traditional 33 303 405)
I like the Naim sound, but not interested in going up the ladder as too expensive.
Ive picked up a 122X that needs a service.

However, am I better off just buying a 5si integrated? I'm asking purely in terms of sound quality, slam, dynamics etc

There is an old thread online comparing 5i with 122x 150 but I understand the 5si is more powerful at 60w and more detailed. And I Know it has a passive pre as opposed to the active stage of the 122x.

So the question is- has anyone directly compared or had in their system a current spec 5si versus a serviced older 122x 150x combo?

I'm just hesitating on the service front as if the sound quality is equivalent, then I would probably prefer the integrated solution.

I haven't directly compared any of the models mentioned, but I do have a Naim Uniti (5i-based, even had a 150x on it for a while) and a Nait XS3. The XS3 is superior in every respect, possibly because of the better pre. For a more streamlined solution with all the poke of the 122/150, I would look at a used XS/XS2. They seem to hit the performance/cost sweet spot.

Thanks for the information.

I have tried a 152XS with the 150x in the past. That was very good, wish I hadn't sold it.
Also a unitiqute as a pre. Was OK but with a fresh memory of the 152XS it didn't last long!
The 122x I havent heard fully serviced, I think the 152XS would probably edge it but it is a 2 year old memory!

Will have to look into 2nd hand prices of these other items.

I’ve had a 150X, used with a 112X (a 122X is better), it’s not a bad power amp. IMHO, pre / power / PS’s only really make sense much further up the ladder. I went to 252/SC/300 then sold the lot. If you like the Naim sound I’d go integrated, probably one from the Nait XS range or even a supernait if one cropped up at the right price.

A stock 102 sounds better than a 122X (with my 155 XS, which is pretty much the same as your 150X).... So the avondaled 102 would be awesome I'd imagine!
Note, you really want a NAPSC with a 102.. cleans up the sounds considerably I've found.

Sound quality aside, you have to consider that the 122x and 150x are very old so may need a service if the owner has not done it for 20 years.

I'm not sure how do the 122x/150x compare to the current Nait 5SI but have read that the 122x/150x together with flatcap sound better than the Nait XS or perhaps almost comparable. The Supernait beats the separates.

As ever with Naim threads things are starting to get confusing. As a long time Naim fan my thoughts are that the 122X/150X combo (if fully serviced) would be comparable to the modern 5si in real world listening, but obviously the 5si is a one box solution and much newer so less likely to malfunction. I'd be going down the 5si route if it were me. While XSs and Supernaits will doubtless be better they are also more money so I am sticking to the stipulations of your original post... do not view that as a criticism of the 5si, for the money it's a lovely amp. I have one with a CD5si and Neat speakers... it's a lovely system that plays in my partner's study all day long.

Although.... one more avenue I might explore would be Rega, but now I am just confusing things :D

Go for the 5si. Ive had one for the last 2yrs in my living room, I listen to It every day and love it. I never compare it to my main system because I love what it does in the environment It lives in. I doubt I’ll ever get rid of it. Used prices are sensible, new are not. Mine was open box @ £845. A bargain even even back then :)

Can't help with the integrated quest, but when I had a Naim nap 150x + Nap 200 in an active Linn Tunebox set-up with Linn Ninkas, I did not miss anything in comparison to another Nap 200 that I eventually replaced it with. Keep the 150x and buy the best pre you can afford. I used my Nap 200 / 150X with a NAC 252 - and was chided on the Naim forum for my mutton system. My post about it was surely a wind-up.

In some ways I miss that combo. Today I have no Naim to my name. I may go for a Superline or Prefix some time for old time's sake if I ever buy another Thorens TD 160.

am I better off just buying a 5si integrated?
Certainly not
A Nait 5Si - which is a revised Nait 5i is what it is, an entrylevel cost saving exersize.
No preamp inside - restricted inputs etc..
Of course its a good sounding amp as it is, but nothing like a 122 or 152/150X.
Put a PSU on the separates and you are an entirely different place.

I did this ladder some years ago. There are some amazing bargains about in the classic series currently. A serviced NAC202 would pair very well with your 150X, can be had quite cheaply, and you could later add a HiCap DR. There's quite a step between the 112/122 and the 202.

Thought this one was dying off yesterday, but glad its reheated!
Lots to consider, thanks to all. I was sticking to entry level avoiding power supplies, minimalist and plug and play is mostly where I'm at.
I did consider the 202 but NAPSC needed for best results and then more boxes wires etc
Will prob try an integrated, get the service, compare, and keep the setup I prefer.

Lots to consider, thanks to all. I was sticking to entry level avoiding power supplies, minimalist and plug and play is mostly where I'm at.
I did consider the 202 but NAPSC needed for best results and then more boxes wires etc
Will prob try an integrated, get the service, compare, and keep the setup I prefer.
Good decision and I doubt you'll hear massive differences despite the night and day brigade above. You're so right about lots of boxes and wires... that used to be me, but now I just like the neatness of a minimal number of boxes.

The napsc just tucks out of the way, but take your point.

Keep it simple and don’t chase your tail IMHO. I went from 4 Naim boxes to 1 (non Naim). Couldn’t be happier.

advertisement

Back