advertisement

"LOVE - The World's First intelligent Turntable"

[QUOTE="I assume it sounds terrible! [/QUOTE]

Why ? It looks quite cute to me and it's got a lovely french accent!

It'll no doubt not be in the same league as top flight enthusiast turntables, but it may be just as good as many of the 70s and 80s Technics-style turntables that graced most people's living rooms. A lot more user-friendly, too. I'd like to hear one.

I wonder how it transmits the signal to whatever it is going to be amplified by?

By Bluetooth?

And what are implications of that for sound quality?!!!

The specs say 16/44.1 - so CD over Bluetooth (they claim that's 'audiophile quality' - please form a queue)

By Bluetooth?
And what are implications of that for sound quality?!!!
The answer to that is "good enough for most of the people most of the time". Amongst my friends aged under 40 I can name precious few who have anything I'd call a hifi. Bluetooth is taking over. I spent New Year in a household that has a decent bluetooth speaker and a smartphone as its only music source. Is it as good as my hifi? No. Does it take up less space? Yes. How far behind my hifi is it? Not a million miles. It's "good enough".

The danger here is that we spend all our time sucking our teeth over the finest (often imagined) detail and forget that most people just want something that works. I'm currently driving 600 miles a week for work. Do I insist on the finest automobile possible to do the job? No. I have something that does the job reliably and comfortably, and that fades into the background while I get on with the rest of my life. Could I do better? Yes, but I don't care, because the difference isn't important. That's how 99.9% of people feel about music reproduction.

Basically a rotating arm pivoting around the centre hole and driven by a wheel on the record edge perhaps. A small sliding pivot arm like the old dust bug carrying a cartridge? It would work and no reason why it should be any worse than an idler wheel deck

"...a foole and his money is soone parted."

Dr. John Bridges, Defence of the Government of the Church of England, 1587.

What a marvellous idea for a product. It doesn’t have an autochanger though, which rules it out as an option for me. However, my business partner, Presumin’ Ed, is working on a prototype changer as I write. That’ll give him two, very similar products, in his portfolio. The other is of course the doll. We plan to get it marketed through K-tel or Ronco.

advertisement

Back