advertisement

"LOVE - The World's First intelligent Turntable"

The danger here is that we spend all our time sucking our teeth over the finest (often imagined) detail and forget that most people just want something that works.
In which case, why bother with vinyl records when most, if not all music, are available digitally.

When people say "the warm sound of vinyl", they mean the sound of a shitty record player through bad speakers, right? Something that tops out at about 8kHz and where the bass is all kind of on the same note? Help me out, 'cos I'm old, and I get a little confused sometimes about exactly what some of these terms mean.

I agree. Send the money to me to spare yourselves the pain of disappointment. Let me be disappointed instead. Nice gimmick.

The answer to that is "good enough for most of the people most of the time". Amongst my friends aged under 40 I can name precious few who have anything I'd call a hifi. Bluetooth is taking over. I spent New Year in a household that has a decent bluetooth speaker and a smartphone as its only music source. Is it as good as my hifi? No. Does it take up less space? Yes. How far behind my hifi is it? Not a million miles. It's "good enough".

The danger here is that we spend all our time sucking our teeth over the finest (often imagined) detail and forget that most people just want something that works. I'm currently driving 600 miles a week for work. Do I insist on the finest automobile possible to do the job? No. I have something that does the job reliably and comfortably, and that fades into the background while I get on with the rest of my life. Could I do better? Yes, but I don't care, because the difference isn't important. That's how 99.9% of people feel about music reproduction.

This is, unfortunately, spot on... I reckon I could pretty much count on the fingers of one hand how many people I've come across at random (ie not at a hi fi shop, or show, or from a forum. Just in the pub or whatever) who have any interest in hi fi...
Guests tend to not even notice that the sound of my hi fi is vastly better than the Bluetooth/ghetto blaster/sound bar they normally listen to... it's just that unimportant to most people it seems. It does not bode well for the future of the industry!

When people say "the warm sound of vinyl", they mean the sound of a shitty record player through bad speakers, right? Something that tops out at about 8kHz and where the bass is all kind of on the same note? Help me out, 'cos I'm old, and I get a little confused sometimes about exactly what some of these terms mean.

Yep... they also want to hear clicks, pops and distortion apparently cos it's "like keeping it real dude"...

The answer to that is "good enough for most of the people most of the time". Amongst my friends aged under 40 I can name precious few who have anything I'd call a hifi. Bluetooth is taking over. I spent New Year in a household that has a decent bluetooth speaker and a smartphone as its only music source. Is it as good as my hifi? No. Does it take up less space? Yes. How far behind my hifi is it? Not a million miles. It's "good enough".

The danger here is that we spend all our time sucking our teeth over the finest (often imagined) detail and forget that most people just want something that works. I'm currently driving 600 miles a week for work. Do I insist on the finest automobile possible to do the job? No. I have something that does the job reliably and comfortably, and that fades into the background while I get on with the rest of my life. Could I do better? Yes, but I don't care, because the difference isn't important. That's how 99.9% of people feel about music reproduction.

Somehow I want to argue against this. Commuting is a chore that has to be done, listening to HiFi is a willful pleasure...or something like this.

Then up comes the badly warped record now that would be fun to watch no stubby cantilever projection arm on a parallel tracker here. IMHO don't hold your breath. LOL

I think it's a neat idea, for flat records. Easy to use, compact, I bet the the Sq is as much as most people need. It's not an ugly thing either. No doubt they'll sell loads.

Hoorah ! No VTA, biasing, alignment geometry, azimuth, zilch ! Not even VTF, as he said that here was no weight to the stylus ! I'm no physics expert, but I do wonder how it stays in the groove. Actually, it's a brilliant invention for that kind or price, gimmick or no.

When people say "the warm sound of vinyl", where the bass is all kind of on the same note? Help me out, 'cos I'm old, and I get a little confused sometimes about exactly what some of these terms mean.

They mean an LP12 lol :cool:

advertisement

Back