advertisement

Lounge chair for listening

We've three "Stressless" recliners bought over the last twenty years.
My wife has one in the lounge and there's one for a visitor, any more have to sit on the sofa.
Then there's mine in this room. "I needed" a table on each arm.

They are extremely comfortable and wear well. Worth the money.

Visitors to this room have to use this chair, it's over thirty years old, I forget the make, but it is comfortable though much smaller than the Stressless.

Looks comfy. Exactly what I need 👍

As has been said you can find them on eBay, even the side tables which are £90 new, but I bought a second one for £40 on eBay. There's always a few chairs on eBay, people my age pop their clogs and the kids list them.

Tetrad or HSL, quality, built to last, lots of different armchair designs with different dimensions and a huge range of different upholstery materials, styles and colours.

Unless you have custom stands, most speakers are at a height which assumes the listener will be seated in a chair of "standard height" (whatever that is). A low chair like the Poang or Eames Recliner will put your head lower than the listening axis for which the speaker was designed.
I see that as an advantage as I prefer the speakers lower down for aesthetic reasons and a Poang works well in my conservatory with both Omni’s and conventional speakers. Additionally if you are using Omni’s it makes no difference anyway.

I remember sitting in a Poang for a few minutes
Not as good as a Stressless but stunning VFM
Sitting in one for hours as I do my Stressless I have not done

Be aware there are now many models of Stressless.
Mine looks like the current Classic

These are our two Stressless chairs in our lounge. The one on the left must be twenty years old still in excellent condition, the leather is really soft. The other is my wife's all that stuff around it is her decoupage card making stuff. The leather sofa we got from Dwell, excellent quality and at a reasonable price, same as the sideboard we got from them. Needless to say, they've ceased trading.

From this thread I gather one should have bought shares in Ekornes! Have one to, used for music listening and when using the computer.

I was looking for a lounge chair 2 years ago. Back then, I opted for the COR Cordia Lounge. High quality, well thought out, high enough in the back that you can fall asleep sometimes. I would definitely buy it again and can highly recommend it. But it costs considerably more than 1000 euros...

Most comfortable chairs I had for listening had a slight recline front to back so you’re leaning slightly backward whilst seated. Back of sofa just high enough to give the base of the skull some support. Had 2 in my listening space plus a stressless - preferred these. Unfortunately I gave them to my folks when relocating so I’m down to the stressless. Whilst we have another 2 in the main lounge there’s no way I’m going to be able to commandeer them for the listening space.

Unless you have custom stands, most speakers are at a height which assumes the listener will be seated in a chair of "standard height" (whatever that is). A low chair like the Poang or Eames Recliner will put your head lower than the listening axis for which the speaker was designed.
Good call. I use a Poang myself and never really considered this aspect. I guess it's a good few inches lower than a standard sofa?

I would avoid any chair with a tall back (ear height and above) as it will affect sound quality.

advertisement

Back