advertisement

Lounge chair for listening

The Varier Tok is very comfortable and an update on the classic Eames, also there’s the GamuT Lobster which is a supposedly dedicated listening chair.

No, I think you're looking at it from the wrong end, as it were.

I'm just saying that there's some comment on here that, a) seating with head support will affect the sound, but also some that says, b) some seating without head supports isn't as comfortable. I'm simply pointing out that this leads to a logical conclusion that if you choose seating without head support, so as not to compromise the sound, you may not be as comfortable as you could be in a seat with head support. And that not being as comfortable might lead to you not enjoying a listening session as much as you would if you were more comfortable.

I am a master at misunderstanding things. The joy of my brain injury.

Considering comfort and headrests on chairs, I would have to be tilted back by the chair to even have any contact with any headrest.
This is the point for me, I couldn’t listen to music at that kind of laid back sitting position, I like to be sat up (not necessarily bolt-upright) not slouched or reclined in anyway.
I like to theorise that ears work better with ones head in an upright position as well… (hunter/threat location)
… and I also think that wearing spectacles has an effect on the sound that reaches our ears…

You are just arguing for the sake of it.
No I'm not.

argument-clinic_hd.original.jpg

A few eames chairs and copies on gumtree. One 'authentic' one in Glasgow for £1K, one copy in Lincolnshire for £500, another in London for £80

The manufacturers of audio equipment never cared where you sat.

Or if you sat at all.

It would appear from the many advertisements I've seen, that the best listening position for women, would be the floor.

What about a Le Corbusier LC4? Always wanted to try one but never found one near me.
We have one and it is very,very comfortable and relaxing. And you can adjust the angle from feet up in the air (which is very good for the lower back) to sitting up. Only drawback is it has no armrest, but you get used to either folding them across your chest or resting your hands on the floor.
I've always found the idea of a "listening chair" carefully placed at the exact intersection of the speakers' axis a bit uncomfotable. I like wandering around, flopping around on the sofa or the floor.

If I was rich I would happily spend a lot of money on lounge chairs. Personally, I'd stay clear of Eames copies, either buy an original if you think they justify the £10K+ price or get something else, the copies just aren't anywhere near the quality.
Interesting. While some of the LC4 copies are indistinguishable from the original. The only complaint I have with ours is that the leather is not that good. But the structure is excellent. Although I know there are bad quality copies as well.

‘lounge chair for listening’
Suggesting being uncomfortable is the price to pay for obsessing about sound quality.
I can’t imagine how that plays out? I haven’t seen a post were someone states that they are uncomfortable but put up with it because the music sounds better that way.
It sounds more of a misperception, ‘I would be uncomfortable in that type of chair, so that person must be…’

It does seem like some people regard relaxing and listening to music may involve falling asleep. (something that I never do)

Maybe there is a distinction between actively listening to music, and passively listening to music?
I just find this obsession with ear height to be bonkers. I’ve never given it a thought & my system sounds great. I have a Sonos speaker in the kitchen/diner & I don’t notice massive changes in fidelity as I move around the room.

I often read a newspaper when listening to the main system or do a crossword; sometimes I shut my eyes & listen. It all works.

Last edited:
I've always found the idea of a "listening chair" carefully placed at the exact intersection of the speakers' axis a bit uncomfotable. I like wandering around, flopping around on the sofa or the floor.

It depends on whether one is fortunate enough to have a room that is purely for listening to music.

(even more fortunate and one could have a Wandering room, and a Flopping room - how the other half live! :D )

I just find this obsession with ear height er to be bonkers. I’ve never given it a thought & my system sounds great. I have a Sonos speaker in the kitchen/diner & I don’t notice massive changes in fidelity as I move around the room.

I often read a newspaper when listening to the main system or do a crossword; sometimes I shut my eyes & listen. It all works.

different needs and wants.

Different standards…

remember to put a sheet of paper under one leg of your listening chair or your hifi will sound sh*te.

Rgds
Stuart

Those inches in height must matter.

If you sit on the floor it sounds different to listening standing up.

I use a John Lewis Barbican chair - super comfy and just the right height for my PMC's. Pretty pricey now from the shop - but I tried the chair out there and then bought one on e-bay. Had a quick look and you can get a new one there within budget - can highly recommend. With streaming now I'm only limited, in terms of having to move, by my bladder!

advertisement

Back