advertisement

Lounge chair for listening

Oswin

pfm Member
Hi all,
I’m looking for a good listening chair, someth like an eames lounge chair and stool. Depending on which supplier they seem to cost from a few 100’s upto 8k!!!! Anyone bought one of these recently?
any advice on a good supplier? My budget is 600 - 800.

Thanks,
Oswin

I don’t like any chair for listening that has a headrest/backrest that goes higher than my shoulders.
I find that it can effect the sound - like having your back against a wall, or half-cupping ones ears.
That would (was) be my concern when researching what chairs to choose for my room.

It was also important for me to have the correct height - ears at tweeter height in my case.
- this is speaker-dependent, but is worth considering.

worth noting that I want to listen to music, not fall asleep….

I don’t like any chair for listening that has a headrest/backrest that goes higher than my shoulders.
I find that it can effect the sound
It really does. Years ago we had high winged cloth chairs and when it got swapped to leather Chesterfield there there was a very noticeable difference in the sound. Brighter and clearer.

I find that it can effect the sound - like having your back against a wall, or half-cupping ones ears.
That would (was) be my concern when researching what chairs to choose for my room.

It was also important for me to have the correct height - ears at tweeter height in my case.
- this is speaker-dependent, but is worth considering.

worth noting that I want to listen to music, not fall asleep….
Interesting again…I don’t have a preference on backrest height and never considered this. the sofa I’m sat in listening has a higher backrest than my shoulder and I haven’t noticed any issues with the sound quality. Something to test over the coming days I guess.

Interesting again…I don’t have a preference on backrest height and never considered this. the sofa I’m sat in listening has a higher backrest than my shoulder and I haven’t noticed any issues with the sound quality. Something to test over the coming days I guess.

Do you ever lean forward and it sounds better?
I suppose it depends on whether you have space behind your listening position and the wall already???
something to at least be aware of,
it could be seen as a benefit?

Just to note also that the Eames Recliner doesn’t come up higher than the shoulders. It has two angled panels for the back, but the upper one is not a headrest.

I looked into one of the reproduction versions for exactly the same reason as the OP and eventually decided against it.

I use a loveseat as a chair would look silly in my living room located between the loudspeakers. I do have an Ekornes in the room but it is off angle from the loudspeakers by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Just to note also that the Eames Recliner doesn’t come up higher than the shoulders. It has two angled panels for the back, but the upper one is not a headrest.

I looked into one of the reproduction versions for exactly the same reason as the OP and eventually decided against it.
This.
When I tried one I found it quite uncomfortable because of the lack of head support.

Unless you have custom stands, most speakers are at a height which assumes the listener will be seated in a chair of "standard height" (whatever that is). A low chair like the Poang or Eames Recliner will put your head lower than the listening axis for which the speaker was designed.

Has to be
Ekornes Stressless
New too much.
Loads on Ebay
Had mine since the 80s
We've three "Stressless" recliners bought over the last twenty years.
My wife has one in the lounge and there's one for a visitor, any more have to sit on the sofa.
Then there's mine in this room. "I needed" a table on each arm.

They are extremely comfortable and wear well. Worth the money.

Visitors to this room have to use this chair, it's over thirty years old, I forget the make, but it is comfortable though much smaller than the Stressless.

This.
When I tried one I found it quite uncomfortable because of the lack of head support.
I like to lean back in the sofa. I like the shoulder and head suppor. Our has a flip thingy that can be flipped up above your shoulders if you need additional support . My side is constantly up! So I take your point. Comfort is more important than style I guess. If not I won’t be able to enjoy the music.in my normal listening position my ears are level to the speakers. Any lower and it might not work. Need to test that tomorro.

advertisement

Back