advertisement

Loudspeakers That Do It All

A pair of large Magneplanar panels properly set up in a large room is pretty much a no compromise solution that fits with all kinds of music IMO, if seating in the right spot.

Nearest I’ve heard to a speaker that does everything well with no gaping flaw is the 801d4.

ATC, magnepan and Quad all have laughably huge chinks in their armour.
Just goes to show that ‘one speaker which does it all’ is an impossible dream, because what constitutes ‘it all’ varies so wildly. I think Maggies do more of most things than the great majority of speakers, and B&W in their many forms have almost always failed to connect with me.

Perfect is an abstract concept with hi-fi in my mind.

My current speakers do not make me wish for more. Nowhere near perfect by any means - I do find that the better the source, the more the speakers step up.

Until I get a bigger music room, these are perfect enough.
Give it time though and anything is possible.

I suspect they are exactly where I’d end up in the current audio market if I ever really went shopping.
Not sure where you're based Tony, but you'd be most welcome to pop in and have a play, if you ever find yourself over my way (Cambridge ish)

I have Quads ESL-57’s, Tannoy DMT-15’s, Tannoy System 1000’s and ATC SCM-7’s. The Quads are now in storage, replaced by the DMT-15’s which have more scale and fill the large room better than the Quads. The Tannoy System 1000’s replaced a pair of SCM7’s that were used in a rather large rec room in my basement. Again the 1000’s have more scale and fit nicely in their location mounted on a wall. The SCM7’s sound very good in my three season porch where a loudspeaker any larger would not work size wise for that particular room.

I enjoy listening to all three systems but gravitate to the DMT 15’s when the opportunity presents itself. I’d consider the DMT 15’s a “do it all” loudspeaker in the right room.

sHZuwoI.jpeg

Without wishing to be too predictable, these do it all, and then some. Huge scale and dynamics, uncoloured, delicate and detailed, boxless from 90hz up, a true Omni that creates a huge soundfield.

IMG-2153.jpg

The downside is that they needs a lot of space around them.

Nearest I’ve heard to a speaker that does everything well with no gaping flaw is the 801d4.

ATC, magnepan and Quad all have laughably huge chinks in their armour.
.... And yet, for Magneplanar fans (and fans of other panel speakers such as ESLs} all box loudspeakers share a huge, insurmountable flaw...... The box.

I don't think there's such a thing as a speaker that excels at everything but that's more down to the variation in recordings than the speakers.

I have a pair of ProAc D20r's but recently home trialed a pair of ATC SCM 40's using a speaker switch so I could go straight from one to the other.

Both amazing speakers but play a Genesis Album on the ATC's and the vocals are harsh and would very quickly give you listening fatigue but not so on the ProAc's .... Play The Carpenters greatest hits and the ProAc's become a bit too warm / muddy, switch to the ATC's and you're back in heaven.

They're both incredible speakers but they're also always going to be a compromise depending on the recording.

Manaufacturers maybe should look at and reduce the extremes at both ends ..... flip side of the same coin, would it then not excel at anything and just become safe / bland.

A tough call to get a happy medium that still excites.

Headphones: full range audio, takes up next to no room, does not require the sale of body parts or fluids to fund ... what's not to like?

Headphones: full range audio, takes up next to no room, does not require the sale of body parts or fluids to fund ... what's not to like?

If you've got tinnitus .... unfortunately there's absolutely nothing to like about them at all as they make it much worse / are unbearable but appreciate that's not everyone.

Both amazing speakers but play a Genesis Album on the ATC's and the vocals are harsh and would very quickly give you listening fatigue but not so on the ProAc's .... Play The Carpenters greatest hits and the ProAc's become a bit too warm / muddy, switch to the ATC's and you're back in heaven. They're both incredible speakers but they're also always going to be a compromise depending on the recording.

This mirrors my experience as well. Both Graham and Marten sound good but it will depend on the recording. Interestingly, some recordings sound warm / dull on the Graham and lit on the Marten while it is the other way round on other recordings. This phenomenon adds to my suspicion that a speaker that does it all doesn't exist unless one chooses to ignore the poor recordings, recordings which either sound too bright / harsh or warm / dull.

advertisement

Back