advertisement

Loudspeakers That Do It All

Their may be others like me who really enjoy the speakers we have with all sorts of music ('doing it all'), but the chance of comparing them with with others in a similar range is simply out of the question. I therefore can't confirm if they are average or awesome at that, at least not for anyone else's ears. I think speakers are about the hardest part of a system to experiment with.

Their may be others like me who really enjoy the speakers we have with all sorts of music ('doing it all'), but the chance of comparing them with with others in a similar range is simply out of the question. I therefore can't confirm if they are average or awesome at that, at least not for anyone else's ears. I think speakers are about the hardest part of a system to experiment with.

Yes they are a pain and I've certainly been through home trialing quite a few over the last months.

It doesn't help if you have some room modes going on and want to see which speakers aggravate it more and which may be more forgiving.

Except for the early Wharfedale Diamonds, I’ve always found ported speakers a real battle & have come to avoid them like the plague.

The best way I’ve found to reduce bass in ported speakers is to lengthen the port. I’ve used rolled cardboard. Just an extra 5mm can make all the difference. Midrange & dynamics are unaffected.

I have a friend who has a little pair of Kef Q1 bookshelf speakers in a room that is so un-damped it doesn't cope with lower frequency, and I can't cope being in that room when he has something playing, even at a low in the background.
As is now my habit when I I visit I bring a pair of socks and wedge one into each port, it's a marked improvement,,, but he can't detect a problem with bass in his room.

I think Platinum Blonde is a popular studio recording so AFAICS heaven knows what the production processes did to the sound. I suggest that what sounds right is primarily a function of the listener's acquired preference and that varies rather a lot.

IMO Platinum Blonde is a fairly unprocessed recording as pop/rock music goes. Parallel Lines is audibly more processed/produced in comparison.

Anyway, more pertinently, Platinum Blonde sounds fine in terms of its musical timing on headphones, in our cars, in my kitchen system, in my main system, in my pal's system etc. With the omni system, the rhythmic aspect of the replay was messed up in some rather obvious way. Speculating: I don't think it was the signal coming out of the speakers, I think it was something to do with rom reflections (but of course, I don't really know!!!).

advertisement

Back