advertisement

Looking for recommendations for a 'warm' sounding DAC

The Rega DAC-R is now discontinued so there could be deals around on an ex-demo unit or old stock. I use one and found it to be more relaxed and warm than the chord mojo or qutest DACs (without sacrificing articulation or timing/engagement).

If possible to stretch a bit go for a minidsp SHD or something. Then use Dirac to chop of any peaks that assault your ears. Also has a streamer which probably comes in handy. Or get a smooth R2R or NOS Dac but it might no be enough for your hyperacusis, i know i tried a lot to get things sorted for mine. For me metal dome tweeters are a no go, ribbons are hit or miss.

Does Roon have an EQ function? I think it would be useful if you could see the effect of taking 10KHz down by 2 or 3dB first, since I think both your B&W and your Boenicke both have peaks in that region. I'm only going on one review/test of Boenicke latter I read but, as others have mentioned, it's well known with a number of B&W models. If you can simply tweak that frequency and remove the irritation it would relieve the need for a 'smooth' DAC. Regarding the latter, I recommend Eastern Electric for price/performance ratio.

So this is my second system - a Naim 180/82 into B&W 804s, which is used only for background social listening. At the moment I use it to play Qobuz via Roon through Chromecast Audio. I would like a better DAC than the Chromecast audio, but the Chord one I tried provided a very detailed presentation which somewhat grated my ears. I suffer from hyperacusis - in my case a low threshold to loud harsh sounds - think kids screaming or dishes clanking, and the Chord and cheap-as-chips Topping seemed to accentuate those attributes of the sound. My main system is fine but that is a very much smoother Vitus/Boenicke set up which is rich and warm and doesn’t aggravate my ears.
Some high pitched sounds that normal don’t mind physically painful, like a needle in the brain. Small happy dogs and my wife’s very peculiar high pitched sneeze are just two. I never realised it had a name! I moved from Naim because I didn’t like the ‘edge’.

MDHT Orchid DAC sounds very good to my delicate ears

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do have a dual teddy cap feeding the 82. I have to keep the B&Ws as my wife thinks they are a thing of beauty. And they are. I will investigate many of your collective suggestions. Much appreciated.

Some high pitched sounds that normal don’t mind physically painful, like a needle in the brain. Small happy dogs and my wife’s very peculiar high pitched sneeze are just two. I never realised it had a name! I moved from Naim because I didn’t like the ‘edge’.

MDHT Orchid DAC sounds very good to my delicate ears

If it’s not too much of a digression (and though I’m sure you’ve mentioned it in other posts), did you cure the problem, and where did you end up, non-Naimwards? I think I may be wrestling with the same kind of thing.

So this is my second system - a Naim 180/82 into B&W 804s, which is used only for background social listening. At the moment I use it to play Qobuz via Roon through Chromecast Audio. I would like a better DAC than the Chromecast audio, but the Chord one I tried provided a very detailed presentation which somewhat grated my ears. I suffer from hyperacusis - in my case a low threshold to loud harsh sounds - think kids screaming or dishes clanking, and the Chord and cheap-as-chips Topping seemed to accentuate those attributes of the sound. My main system is fine but that is a very much smoother Vitus/Boenicke set up which is rich and warm and doesn’t aggravate my ears.
You have my sympathy. I used to listen to a system which included a Hugo and Usher beryllium domed tweeters which are the best tweeters I’ve heard in any stuff I’ve owned, then got a second attack of SSNHL in my right ear which made the system unlistenable for me. I still have the Hugo but different speakers. The problem also applies to live concerts where piano or some woodwind instruments just grate -though your brain compensates for it over time.

If it’s not too much of a digression (and though I’m sure you’ve mentioned it in other posts), did you cure the problem, and where did you end up, non-Naimwards? I think I may be wrestling with the same kind of thing.
No, never found a cure for the problem because I never realised it was a thing until I read duckworp’s post. Always thought it was just me being a delicate little flower. An aural snowflake. Anyway, a move to Dynavectors and Shahinians give me a much more natural sound without the loss of any detail.

Too many exotic tweeters are turned right up "look at me", although Usher normally have a near neutral balance

No, never found a cure for the problem because I never realised it was a thing until I read duckworp’s post. Always thought it was just me being a delicate little flower. An aural snowflake. Anyway, a move to Dynavectors and Shahinians give me a much more natural sound without the loss of any detail.

This Naim gear is my second system. Like you I too used to have Naim/B&W as my primary system but I also could not tolerate the Naim 'edge'. I moved my main system onto Vitus electronics, which retains aspects of the Naim sound but with more warmth and depth, and Boenicke speakers, which are massively different from B&W.

The problem also applies to live concerts where piano or some woodwind instruments just grate -though your brain compensates for it over time.

Exactly the same - my daughter is a pianist and I can’t be closer than 5m from the piano when she’s playing as it is so uncomfortable. And don't mention the oboe!

I think that the B&Ws are biwired. If one set of terminals are just the tweeter, putting a 3.3 Ohm 5W resistor in series should tame it

This sounds interesting but unfortunately is beyond the understanding of my non-technical mind. Would you explain what I need to do? Bear in mind I don't know what a resistor is or 'in series', so this might be a job to far for me.

advertisement

Back