advertisement

Looking for recommendations for a 'warm' sounding DAC

Exactly the same - my daughter is a pianist and I can’t be closer than 5m from the piano when she’s playing as it is so uncomfortable. And don't mention the oboe!
Which means that even a strictly neutral and accurate system might be too bright for you.
A Quad preamp is the ideal solution

You say your system is just for casual and social listening. This being the case, rather than dropping a bomb on a new DAC have you thought about adding Tube Buffer after your DAC? You could buy one for a few 10s of pounds and it may do what you're after.

+1 for any Metrum DAC. I have used three different ones - an Octave Mk 1 , Menuet, and Pavane Level 3. They all sound fantastic, very natural and non fatiguing.
I am not convinced you should discount using a S/PDIF input (which might let you use an Octave Mk 1) unless you have a definite need for HiRes playback. One of the great things about the Metrum NOS DACs is they make one aware of how good 44.1 16bit can sound.

Exactly the same - my daughter is a pianist and I can’t be closer than 5m from the piano when she’s playing as it is so uncomfortable. And don't mention the oboe!
I spent ages changing speakers and listening yesterday till quite late at night. By the time I’d finished I found all my speakers didn’t sound good. I came in just now and put on some music and the speakers sound just fine! Listening fatigue is obviously a bigger issue with hyperacusis.

I used to play the piano too and couldn't tolerate the sharp notes when I get older. I stopped playing the piano several years ago (piano now sold). Ironically, piano pieces sound a lot better through the hifi system than played on the real thing.

I use a cheap really nice linear PS from China to power my chromecast. it was around 50$ and nice improvement. The top is now less hot and more in order.

May I ask which Audio Note model, and whether you have compared it to any Chord DAC.

0.1x dac and no did not compare to any other dac- committed the cardinal sin of purchasing blind ( however having a rough idea of what l wanted sound wise ) and luckily it paid off handsomely.:)

0.1x dac and no did not compare to any other dac- committed the cardinal sin of purchasing blind ( however having a rough idea of what l wanted sound wise ) and luckily it paid off handsomely.:)
Thanks for the prompt response which was much appreciated. Good to know the 0.1X has lived up to your expectations.

But is it warm sounding? A friend tested it and said typical studio sound, linear, clean but not warm.

A Metrum Octave will do it for you I've been through a Chord 2qute and am now running a Yggdrasil and I still miss the Metrum from time to time.

Not the last word in resolution and maybe a bit rolled off on both ends but by far the most analogue sound I've heard from digital. There are probably better options but not for the price that you can likely pick an Octave up for these days.
heard a rumour metrum gone bump , anyone know anymore ? Sad if it's true

advertisement

Back