advertisement

Looking for great DSD samples, audio advice

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to compare DSD and PCM is level matching.

If dsd is made from pcm, than it can't sound better, than pcm.

I tend to agree but there are other things to consider:

DSD could add euphonic colouration and thus sound "better"

DSD could sound better in the special case where there is no PCM conversion eg a direct to DSD live recording

Some people think that PCM sounds better converted to DSD and played through a DSD DAC. If so, I suppose you could argue that this is the "best" way to design a PCM DAC.

Tim

I wouldn't move your SBLs if you have them sounding great at home.
It will cost you two new sealing kits £150 as they should not be transported built.
Also if you have a hotel room with no solid wall to stand them against they won't sound any good.

Hmm, this is a problem.

I am finding, with my particular DAC, that the conversion to PCM needs to be around +6dB to maintain similar volume. However at that level it is also clips. Maybe I need to find some "quiet" DSD samples!

Tim

Dear me, look at that ultrasonic noise!

dsd2flac.png

Tim

Hmm, this is a problem.

I am finding, with my particular DAC, that the conversion to PCM needs to be around +6dB to maintain similar volume. However at that level it is also clips. Maybe I need to find some "quiet" DSD samples!

Tim

That's slightly surprising. I think DSD is nominally -6dB, although many are 'hotter'. I guess you DAC is 'true' DSD and Teac want DSD to sound 'better'...

Paul

That's slightly surprising. I think DSD is nominally -6dB, although many are 'hotter'. I guess you DAC is 'true' DSD and Teac want DSD to sound 'better'...

Paul

It is an interesting thought. But I think I picked a bad sample, the Elton John track I used is relatively loud vs the average. I'll just have to be careful.

Tim

Tim, check sources. Hybrid SACDs can have mastering differences between the layers which is not helpful. I've been playing with a lot of high res files from SACD layers and vinyl rips. I've exhausted the comparisons when converted to PCM and can hear nothing between so called high res and the same files properly converted to 16/44. I would like to sample some native DSD v PCM but haven't got a DAC that converts DSD.
Steve,
TBH and not meaning to be rude here but i don't think the OP has a clue when it comes to real DSD music files let alone moving and SBL set up?

Steve,
TBH and not meaning to be rude here but i don't think the OP has a clue when it comes to real DSD music files let alone moving and SBL set up?

How kind. Care to give me one?

Yes I did set up my SBLs with new gaskets and silicone sealant when I last moved them and have followed Naim's advice never to move them assembled other than short distances around the house, and no, I don't intend to take them to Scalford.

Tim

How kind. Care to give me one?

Yes I did set up my SBLs with new gaskets and silicone sealant when I last moved them and have followed Naim's advice never to move them assembled other than short distances around the house, and no, I don't intend to take them to Scalford.

Tim
Tim,
Thats good to hear.
Now to the true DSD files/not PCM.
How are you going to play these ?
What source DAC and Amps are you going to use?

I am finding, with my particular DAC, that the conversion to PCM needs to be around +6dB to maintain similar volume. However at that level it is also clips.

One of the problems when dealing with DSD is that, unlike PCM, the absolute maximum level is not easily defined and is slightly programme dependent. For this reason, the SACD specification insists that there must always be a 6dB margin.

In addition, there is no rule governing the points at which your DAC ought to level-match between PCM & DSD; the DAC makers will, themselves, be in a bit of a dilemma over the ideal gain compromise between the two formats so a simple and elegant answer may not be forthcoming. For instance, the maker may well have chosen to reduce the gain of the DSD path by 6dB to play safe, while not doing too much harm to the PCM noise performance. In such a case, you will not be able to achieve a level match with a file conversion that, in theory, ought to be within ≤1dB.

Not really what you want to hear, but it may well be necessary to effect an external (i.e. analogue domain) gain adjustment to get two notionally similar files (one PCM, the other DSD) to play back at the same level.

Not really what you want to hear, but it may well be necessary to effect an external (i.e. analogue domain) gain adjustment to get two notionally similar files (one PCM, the other DSD) to play back at the same level.

I have thought about this but it is error-prone. I think the best solution may be the Meyer/Moran approach of inserting an additional PCM conversion into the signal path after the DAC output but still looking into it.

Tim

I have thought about this but it is error-prone
Not if you work out the required attenuation factor and create it out of fixed resistors.

I think the best solution may be the Meyer/Moran approach of inserting an additional PCM conversion into the signal path after the DAC output but still looking into it.

Trouble is, that approach arguably negates the validity of the entire investigation!

Trouble is, that approach arguably negates the validity of the entire investigation!

Argue it then :) Note that DSD has the advantage since you hear it without any intervening switch box or processing. The latter only comes in for PCM. So it tilts the balance in favour of DSD - maybe that is your objection?

Tim

Not if you work out the required attenuation factor and create it out of fixed resistors.

Well, based on your demonstrations at Scalford 2 years ago, those who expect to hear a big difference, and then don't, will assume there is some trickery afoot rather than adjusting/correcting their existing opinion/prejudice...

As F1Eng points out in #39 any small hook, onto which an objection to the test approach may be hung, will be grabbed.

People would much rather believe that your methodology is weak than accept that their long held prejudice might just be flawed.

... only comes in for PCM. So it tilts the balance in favour of DSD - maybe that is your objection?

Not really. A good experiment is useful, a poor one less so. That's all really.

If you actually wanted to test the performance of DSD vs PCM, all you need do is run a loop of each (A → D → A) but insert a 40dB attenuator at the input to the test rig and a 40dB amplifier at the output (-40dB → A → D → A → +40dB). Following such a test, not much doubt will remain ;)

advertisement

Back