advertisement

Looking for great DSD samples, audio advice

onlyconnect

pfm Member
I will be exhibiting at Scalford and want to show off DSD with a slight twist: is it really much different when converted either to hi-res PCM or 16/44.

Question is: how good does my system need to be to avoid the problem of "your system is not resolving enough?"

My problem is that my best speakers are not easy to transport - reluctant to move the SBLs. I have some Quad 11Ls which I think sound fantastic but are they good enough for this kind of demo?

I'm also on the look out for DSD samples that show off the best of the format. I have a few but unfortunately I don't have a suitable PS3 to convert SACDs; I want to use files if possible since then I can play everything through the same DAC. Don't mind buying a few recommended tracks but limited budget of course. Suggestions welcome.

Tim

Tim, check sources. Hybrid SACDs can have mastering differences between the layers which is not helpful. I've been playing with a lot of high res files from SACD layers and vinyl rips. I've exhausted the comparisons when converted to PCM and can hear nothing between so called high res and the same files properly converted to 16/44. I would like to sample some native DSD v PCM but haven't got a DAC that converts DSD.

I can convert PCM to DSD if you want. You won't be able to hear the difference though IME.

I feel that there IS a difference but it's one of those that you don't get by listening for it, you only get (possibly) by listening to the music with no thought to the replay system.

I will be exhibiting at Scalford and want to show off DSD with a slight twist: is it really much different when converted either to hi-res PCM or 16/44.

Question is: how good does my system need to be to avoid the problem of "your system is not resolving enough?"

My problem is that my best speakers are not easy to transport - reluctant to move the SBLs. I have some Quad 11Ls which I think sound fantastic but are they good enough for this kind of demo?

I'm also on the look out for DSD samples that show off the best of the format. I have a few but unfortunately I don't have a suitable PS3 to convert SACDs; I want to use files if possible since then I can play everything through the same DAC. Don't mind buying a few recommended tracks but limited budget of course. Suggestions welcome.

Tim
I wouldn't give a second thought to the resolution issue, go and enjoy it, smaller speakers will probably excite the room less and give you a better sound,given the very limited time you have for room set up.
Keith.

I can convert PCM to DSD if you want. You won't be able to hear the difference though IME.

I feel that there IS a difference but it's one of those that you don't get by listening for it, you only get (possibly) by listening to the music with no thought to the replay system.

No, I don't want to convert DSD to PCM nor play the CD layer of an SACD; I have a native DSD DAC and want to get the best possible from the format.

Anyone in Nottingham area have the right kind of PS3?

Tim

I do Tim but I'm not in Notts.

I have about 200 albums in native DSD. I can also convert those files to PCM using Audiogate so that allows me to compare formats directly rather than different releases.

No, I don't want to convert DSD to PCM nor play the CD layer of an SACD; I have a native DSD DAC and want to get the best possible from the format.

But if you want to demonstrate the difference between DSD and PCM, you have to start out from the same recording and convert it to the other format.

But if you want to demonstrate the difference between DSD and PCM, you have to start out from the same recording and convert it to the other format.

Correct, which is why I have to start with a DSD file, not one converted to PCM.

Tim

Correct, which is why I have to start with a DSD file, not one converted to PCM.

Does it matter if you start out with DSD and convert to PCM, or the other way around? If so, shouldn't you have samples of both to do justice to both formats? Or is your only interest "does DSD sound better natively or converted to PCM"?

Does it matter if you start out with DSD and convert to PCM, or the other way around? If so, shouldn't you have samples of both to do justice to both formats? Or is your only interest "does DSD sound better natively or converted to PCM"?

Would love to do both but it's tough enough to do one way round and will be informal, nothing definitive sadly.

Tim

They are only few real DSD recordings available, most (99%) of sacds where in some point (mostly mixing) converted to pcm and then again into dsd.

Well I am nearly there:

- Got some DSD samples though suggestions always welcome

- Got Volumio successfully outputting DoP to Teac DAC

Still not sure about which amp and speakers to use.

Any suggestions how to convert .dsf to PCM while keeping volume level *exactly matched* as played through my DAC?

Tim

advertisement

Back