advertisement

Looking for an end game preamp. for ATC Active

In my case there was no recalibration (and I don’t see why one would require this). I just sent ATC the amp pacs - not the whole speaker set.

But this is pointless unless you want to drive the ATCs like I do - from a DAC using digital attenuation (in my case a Hugo TT2)

I am typically playing at -10 db so not much digital attenuation is applied. Without the mod it would be I think -22 db.

A downside is that if you move to to a low output dac you can run out of headroom. This happened with my PSAudio Directstream DAC Mk1 which had a 3v balanced output

Salman
Wow, that is loud! I have a few times played my Dave direct into my ATC actives with the Dave at -18dB and it was in EXTREMELY loud category at the listening position. I would not dare to go to -10dB!

Wow, that is loud! I have a few times played my Dave direct into my ATC actives with the Dave at -18dB and it was in EXTREMELY loud category at the listening position. I would not dare to go to -10dB!
It is -10db on my Trinnov amethyst (Hugo TT2 is on 5v fixed output as a dac) only because I had the Input sensitivity adjusted to 4volts

-10db is around 85db average at the listening position C weighted so not super loud

Also the Trinnov is itself attenuating to apply the room correction

Salman

It is -10db on my Trinnov amethyst (Hugo TT2 is on 5v fixed output as a dac) only because I had the Input sensitivity adjusted to 4volts

-10db is around 85db average at the listening position C weighted so not super loud

Also the Trinnov is itself attenuating to apply the room correction

Salman
Phew, thats a relief. I think i was getting around 95dB SPL withe the Dave at -18dB!

Try a Topping Pre90 before spending serious money.
It's a good option, only if you don't have great expectations. Otherwise, it sounds too "dry", with average depth/width/soundstage. Had it with ATC actives, glad I get rid of it.

OK I have explained this before, but I will explain it again:

1. The DAC is an incredibly noisy device and produces a lot of digital noise which pollutes the power supplies within the DAC
2. The DAC will in most cases use the same power supply for the processing D to A data as powering the output buffer in the DAC, assuming it has one. It should do if it is a good design.
3. The output buffer stage in the DAC has zero gain, as most modern DACs output 2 volts straight out of the D2A chip(s). These output buffers are feedback devices, which is not good for great audio sound. Yes, you get a low impedance output but the audio performance is heavily compromised, as in compressed soundstage width and depth.
4. There should be seperate analogue power supplies, one for the DAC processing and one for the analogue output buffer. This is rarely done due to the cost involved.
5. A good preamplifier will provide superior dynamic range, better deeper bass and a wider and deeper soundstage.
6. Probably one of the biggest draw backs of a DAC/preamp and using it as a preamplifier is its digital volume control. This has been done to death on here so I am not going to bother to cover it.

A good analogue preamplifier will have a separate power supply which will not be polluted with digital noise.
A good analogue preamplifier should have gain matching on the input and on the output, so gain should not be an issue.
Assuming the preamplifier has a very good power supply this will feed the one or two stages perfectly, allowing these stages to work optimally in the range they were design for, allowing the very best audio performance to prevail. You get better deeper bass, lots of good detail and a significantly better soundstage, both in width and depth, as well as a very realistic sound which sounds more like the real thing.
I could go on but I will leave it there. I am sure it will give those an opportunity to experiment and draw their own conclusions.

Is less more, well that depends on how it is done. I have never found the sound from a DAC/Pre driving a power amplifier to give the best and most natural results. Anyway people can try it and see which they prefer the sound of.

Over the years I have told quite a few clients to set their DAC's output to the "fixed" level setting, effectively taking the digital volume control out of the circuit, then use a good analogue preamplifier for the gain stage/output buffering. I normally get a call weeks later saying I can't believe adding an extra box can make such a positive improvement to my audio system.
This is the best explanation I have read about the benefits of a preamplifier. I have noticed that with SCA2 driving my 50ASL, at that time. Sadly, I had no room for 50, so I downgraded to 25Amk2, which are awesome. I am driving them with Simaudio Moon 740P/680D and separate power supply 820S. Excellent combination, which epitomizes what fellow GT wrote above.

My god, what a faff.
Might be worth trying a 20db attenuator.
Had that, also - Rothwell Audio -20db XLR attenuators, which I used for ATC SCA2. Ultimately, I decided to get rid of SCA2 & attenuators, and use a preamp with customizable gain.

OK I have explained this before, but I will explain it again:

1. The DAC is an incredibly noisy device and produces a lot of digital noise which pollutes the power supplies within the DAC
2. The DAC will in most cases use the same power supply for the processing D to A data as powering the output buffer in the DAC, assuming it has one. It should do if it is a good design.
3. The output buffer stage in the DAC has zero gain, as most modern DACs output 2 volts straight out of the D2A chip(s). These output buffers are feedback devices, which is not good for great audio sound. Yes, you get a low impedance output but the audio performance is heavily compromised, as in compressed soundstage width and depth.
4. There should be seperate analogue power supplies, one for the DAC processing and one for the analogue output buffer. This is rarely done due to the cost involved.
5. A good preamplifier will provide superior dynamic range, better deeper bass and a wider and deeper soundstage.
6. Probably one of the biggest draw backs of a DAC/preamp and using it as a preamplifier is its digital volume control. This has been done to death on here so I am not going to bother to cover it.

Very interesting thread and good points in this post. I'm currently in the same process with my ATC SCM50ASL's. I recently changed my DAC from Holo Spring 3 to T+A DAC200. I also have Holo Serene preamp in my setup, which was obviously originally bought to be used with Holo Spring 3. Now I'm trying to decide if I'll keep the Serene in the mix or use DAC200 directly to the ATC's.

At first I owned Holo Spring 3 with the integrated analog preamp module and then upgraded to Holo Serene. I wanted to try what a separate preamp would bring to the mix and even though I ended up keeping the Serene, the difference was small in this case. It added little bit of grunt/authority/punch to the sound though, which is usually the most obvious difference between a separate preamp vs DAC with volume control.

T+A DAC200 has a high quality integrated analog preamp with discreet Class A design and relay controlled volume. The digital and analog sides of the DAC have separate power supplies. Higher end T+A dac/preamps even have own power connectors for the digital and analog sides. I've now had the DAC200 for about a month and currently I'm leaning towards driving the ATC's directly from DAC200 outputs. DAC200 has "0...5,0 Veff / 22 Ohm variable" XLR-outputs while Serene has 40ohm XLR-outputs with Max amplitude of 17Vrms.

The differences I've noticed:

- With direct connection, the soundstage is clearly more open, deep and spacious. It's easier to place the instruments in the soundstage. You even get a feeling of enveloping soundstage with some material, it's an impressive effect. There's better clarity to the sound but the sound never gets sterile/clinical/tiring. Resolution is just extremely good. Low end actually hits deeper with a better texture and nuances. Overall the music just fills the room better this way and everything sounds so right.

-With Holo Serene, the soundstage is in front of you and more flat and even. Overall sound is slightly smoother and more relaxed, yet at the same time it's more immediate and tighter/controlled. But you clearly lose some information on the tracks. It's definitely and easier listen than direct connection. Bass quality is interesting since with Serene, the mid to upper bass acutally hits slightly harder and you get a feeling of little bit more authority and punch, BUT the bass never hits as deep as with direct connection and you lose low end information and nuances. There's less sparkle in the top end of the spectrum.

Few points: I drive my T+A DAC200 with Holo Red streamer to Intona Premium USB cable and I upsample everything to DSD256 with HQPlayer. In DAC200's case, this makes a HUGE difference compared to bitperfect signal to the DAC. DAC200 is actually two dacs in one case since the PCM and DSD sides are completely different designs.

Also all ATC users, remember that you can change the input sensitivity of your ATC's from the default 1V to 2V and anything inbetween if you can calibrate the levels. But 2V can be done without calibration since you just adjust the pot from the default position to the other end. I've played with both and 2V gives you an easier listen but obviously takes away some of the immediacy/authority/grip since with this setting the poweramps are more difficult to drive. But maybe if you use a preamp with very hot outputs, 2V can be useful.

I've also tried Rothwell -20dB XLR attenuators back when I used Linn Akurate DSM/3 in fron of my ATC's. I can't recommend this since they clearly worsened the sound quality. My idea to this experiment was to add the attenuators so that I wouldn't have to attenuate the signal so much in digital domain. But trust me, it's better to just use the Linn's own digital volume control and forget the Rothwell's.

But yeah I tend to agree that if the volume control on the DAC is digital... try a separate preamp. If your dac has a proper preamp built in (analog and preferablt with relay controlled volume) then it's not that simple.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can completely bypass the DAC200 integrated preamp section. This is what I've done when used in combination with Holo Serene.

Same for the Allegri+ too, as that is also a TVC
The Allegri+ is an autoformer/autotransformer. It’s a different technical approach to the same challenge; trying to provide volume control while putting as little wire as possible between source and amp. I once had an MFA Baby Ref which was in a different league from every solid state and tube pre I’d heard, but when earlier I directly compared MFA Classic TVC to ANOther autoformer, I surprised myself by preferring the sound of the latter.

Put this one on your list as an endgame option ... great sounding - brilliant remote control using Apple's own remote.

I would get one - even over and above the Music First - if I was in the market for one:

icOn passive preamplifier

An early gen icOn autoformer was the one I compared with the TVC and preferred the sound of the autoformer which they have since standardised on. Pal is an absolute gent.

I had ATC change the input sensitivity at the factory to 4v when the amp packs were being serviced. Maybe not practical if the OP is not in the UK. I now live near Geneva but had them modified when I was in the UK.

To the OP:
If you want to try tone controls then at least try going whole hog with the Trinnov Amethyst as it’s in your price range. EQ will help but full room EQ that allows (via the 3D mic) for direct versus reflected sound is a game changer

Salman
Can the OP try the Trinnov without buying one? If so, why not! If not, it requires proper at home audition.

I am sure that one can have a home dem. I bought mine secondhand as I previously had TacT room correction devices in my system for over a decade (2.0 then 2.2x) and am fairly familiar with how such devices work and how effective they are.

But anyhow the Trinnov is a breeze to use. And remote customer support from Paris is sensational - they dial into your unit so long as it is connected to the internet - even though I bought secondhand.

Salman

I did look at the Trinnov, I can get this in my country. However a demo. was impossible.

I ended up going with the new NAIM NAC 332 and NPX 300 combo.

Only have about 4 days of actual music burn in so far.

I’ve left it on permanent to try and speed that up.

So far I’m very, very impressed with this preamp.

It compliments the Chord DAVE perfectly.

I did look at the Trinnov, I can get this in my country. However a demo. was impossible.

I ended up going with the new NAIM NAC 332 and NPX 300 combo.

Only have about 4 days of actual music burn in so far.

I’ve left it on permanent to try and speed that up.

So far I’m very, very impressed with this preamp.

It compliments the Chord DAVE perfectly.
Good option that. Burn in doesn’t exist though, just enjoy it;)

The Allegri+ is an autoformer/autotransformer. It’s a different technical approach to the same challenge; trying to provide volume control while putting as little wire as possible between source and amp. I once had an MFA Baby Ref which was in a different league from every solid state and tube pre I’d heard, but when earlier I directly compared MFA Classic TVC to ANOther autoformer, I surprised myself by preferring the sound of the latter.
However it is done it is still regarded as a Transformer Volume Control. In other words it uses a transformer and not a passive resistive potentiometer, or a relay switched device switching resistors in and out to vary the volume. When using a TVC you must ensure the output impedance of the device you are connecting to it and the amplifier you are connecting it too matches the impedance values recommended by the TVC manufacturer. This is critical for correct operation across the full range audio bandwidth.

TVC.png

This is a conventional Transformer Volume Control with separate primary and secondary windings

AVC-28-02-schematic-500x530.jpg

This is an Autotransformer which has just one winding with multiple taps. Step 1 is zero volume and step 28 is maximum volume.

Both are referred to as TVC's and nearly all TVCs are autotransformers because they are easier and cheaper to make, as there is only one winding to wind and fewer connections.

I accept the technical explanation (obviously!), though as far as I'm aware the manufacturers of many passive preamplifiers are at great pains to differentiate one type of TVC from the other.

I remember reflecting during my TVC preamp ownership on the apparent "pass through" importance of impedance matching (and ensuring mine was correct). Cool.

advertisement

Back