advertisement

Long shot - anyone with experience of fake chimneys?

I signed up to thank you all for this thread. We live in a new build home barely five years old and our roof started leaking at the beginning of this month causing a small stain in the ceiling. After seeing this thread I got on to NHBC but while they have intimated its a known fault with the fake chimneys the soonest they could visit with a member of Persimmon is this December!!

Tonight I got woken up by the dreaded sound of dripping, seems the small leak has now gotten worse. Not wanting to wait for NHBC I called my building insurance who are sending someone around in the morning.

At least five of my neighbours have had their chimneys removed over the past year due to leaks but apart from this forum thread I couldn't find more information on it. Really feels like it's a potential time-bomb waiting to go off on all new builds with these stupid fake chimneys.

I signed up to thank you all for this thread. We live in a new build home barely five years old and our roof started leaking at the beginning of this month causing a small stain in the ceiling. After seeing this thread I got on to NHBC but while they have intimated its a known fault with the fake chimneys the soonest they could visit with a member of Persimmon is this December!!

Tonight I got woken up by the dreaded sound of dripping, seems the small leak has now gotten worse. Not wanting to wait for NHBC I called my building insurance who are sending someone around in the morning.

At least five of my neighbours have had their chimneys removed over the past year due to leaks but apart from this forum thread I couldn't find more information on it. Really feels like it's a potential time-bomb waiting to go off on all new builds with these stupid fake chimneys.

Wow! We thought it was a particular problem with this estate and probably the builder using poor technique. That said, when I spoke to the crane operator he said he was making good money putting these chimneys on and then taking them off a year or two later.

The opinion of several people on this estate about the NHBC is unprintable. Several cases here of the builder having no interest in solving issues and the NHBC proving completely useless. We have discovered it is worth asking about their complaints procedure or what ombudsman to contact - it seems to concentrate their mind effectively!

advertisement

Back