advertisement

London music venues

I was a regular at the Wake Arm's Pub near Epping in the late sixties and early seventies. It was demolished long ago and replaced with various restaurants, at present a steak house. It hosted some great bands and great gigs. I always liked the Edgar Broughton band when they played there as they were excellent live.

Some, but not all, sessions and bands listed here: http://www.45worlds.com/live/venue/wake-arms

All part of the fun in sunny Brixton.

We went to the Tiles club maybe 3 or 4 times, after hearing about if from other older mods around '67/8. I moved to Central London in early 1970 and I believe Tiles had changed names/disappeared and fashions had moved elsewhere.

Bloss

I lived on the boarders of Brixton/Camberwell from mid 90s to early 00s, and first at gig at the academy was '83, so can't believe I forgot it!
Was the Electric Ballroom around when you were there?

I lived on the boarders of Brixton/Camberwell from mid 90s to early 00s, and first at gig at the academy was '83, so can't believe I forgot it!
Was the Electric Ballroom around when you were there?

I had moved back home in the early 70's and the Electric Ballroom opened later I think. Never went much to Camden, only the Soul/Jazz cafe really and some of the pubs. Tended to use pubs more in the 70's, Hope and Anchor, Kings Head, Thatched Barn, etc.

I do like to see up and coming bands in smaller London club venues, seen some belters last couple of years, The Comet is Coming and James Yorkston. Feel I may
be getting a tad too old for these gigs now, sit downers from now on.

What were/are some of your enjoyable London venues/gigs

Bloss

Being from the north (as far as the south is concerned) it was nice for me over the last couple of years to finally go to gigs at - or just walk past or have a pint in - some London venues I'd previously only read about in the music press.

The Garage at Highbury
The 100 Club
The Hope and Anchor
The Marquee

blossomchris The Lyceum (Sisters of Mercy), H Palais (Altered Images, Massive Attack), Ronnie Scott's (Toumani Diabate & Danny Thompson), Brixton Academy (New Order and a very young James), Half Moon Putney (Hank Wangford in psychedelic country residence), Union Chapel (Toumani Diabate, Unthanks) Cafe Oto (Basia Bulat) and ULU (New Order).

No doubt I've forgotten many venues, and have always preferred smaller rooms.
Saw many shows at Ham' Odeon/T&C Club sized places and excellent gigs too e.g. Pogues and The Smiths.
But I don't fondly remember the venues.

What about you? I bet you saw some properly legendary shows a la Hendrix :=)

ULU and the Town and Country were also great venues, a T and C gig often following ULU a few months later for up and coming bands.

Still, like you I have forgotten a lot of the places and may have been with you at the Pogues. rough

The big ones though were Led Z at the RAH, Ray Charles at RFH, Stevie Wonder (not London) California Ballrooms. Seen David Byrne 3 or 4 times and a few Warp/
Rough Trade shows.

We were fortunate around here, close to London and had several good venues locally, Friars at Aylesbury, California at Dunstable and not forgetting Hemel's
own Pav - saw David Bowie there in 72, prior to Ziggy Stardust charting.

Bloss

Cor! Very envious of all of those.

What were LZ at RAH like?
I saw The Smiths there - fantastic in the mosh pit. Also New Order - sh1t sandwich up in the balconies due to appalling acoustics/pa.

What was Bowie like? That is one show I'd give my right arm to have attended :=)

Seen great gigs at Café Oto, Dalston Vortex, The Borderline and Highbury Garage, which were all still open last time I looked.

Islington o2 academy is a bit soulless, but the bar is great as are the sound and lights and I've been there more often than I realised.

The venue I really miss is The Spitz, which, by the time it closed, was pretty much the only thing stopping Spitalfields turning into a river of hipster shit. The 12 Bar, also. Worth noting that gig venues have often not been around as long as you may think.

Bloody hate Brixton Academy.

LZ, it was in 69 I think, technically very good, close to the recording from memory. Audience was more or less stationary, bit bizarre really, like that shot of cinemagoers wearing 3D specs.

Please keep your arm, unless BD needs a spare. Bowie was on fire, running across the stage with bounding wide leaps. Some of the set was from Ziggy/Hunky and a few VU and pop covers.

I missed out on Punk/early New Wave in regards to gigs, never stopped me buying though. I believe this is more your era, John. I would have liked to have seen the Fall, Talking Heads and Otis Redding, but you can't see it all.

Bloss

Thanks blossomchris, that's interesting stuff.

RAH is a rock 'n' roll vibe kill imo.
I recall Mozza was underwhelmed to the point he encouraged us with 'where have all the stage invaders gone?'
Predictably like lambs to the slaughter many rushed the stage inc' a pal of mine who managed to shake mozza's hand.
He was later pleased to report security were nice and very gentle.

Reading about your Bowie exp' hurts. How about both arms?

I was too young for punk, but did catch some of the new wave.
But typically feckless so completely missed Talking Heads, and only saw The Fall once.
My favourite show from that era was Joy Division supporting Buzzcocks, but it wasn't in London.

Only started going to Gigs in London about 10 or 12 years ago, my favourite venue is the Sheperds Bush Empire, also enjoyed the Jazz Cafe, Village Underground, The Troxy and recently Earth in Hackney. Not keen on Alexander Palace (poor sound IMHO) or O2 Arena (too big).

Cheers BB

Thanks blossomchris, that's interesting stuff.

RAH is a rock 'n' roll vibe kill imo.
I recall Mozza was underwhelmed to the point he encouraged us with 'where have all the stage invaders

Predictably like lambs to the slaughter many rushed the stage inc' a pal of mine who managed to shake mozza's hand.
He was later pleased to report security were nice and very gentle.

Reading about your Bowie exp' hurts. How about both arms?

I was too young for punk, but did catch some of the new wave.
But typically feckless so completely missed Talking Heads, and only saw The Fall once.
My favourite show from that era was Joy Division supporting Buzzcocks, but it wasn't in London.

Wish I could work the name tag link!

The RAH can be bereft of atmosphere, but I find the acoustics OK.

JD and B's would have been a gig worth going to, nearest I got was the excellent tv shows that were around at the time. My biggest regret is mummy not letting me go to see Otis Redding in '66, the old man said let him go, but she would not have any of that. I think London clubs were seen as dens on inequity. Mind you I did see Ike and Tina at the Locarno in that year, never told mummy.

Bloss

Always liked the Hammersmith Odeon, good mid-sized venue. The sloping floor meant you could always get a decent view.

+1 for Shepherds Bush Empire - seen some great gigs there down the years.
RAH for me is a stunnung venue - going to see Mariilion there in November.
Tend to go to more gigs in Paris now - L'Olympia, Le Trianon & Le Bataclan all excellent venues.

Not forgetting Notre Dame Hall, Camden Falcon, Camden Workers Social Club, Fulham Hibernian Club and London School Of Economics, my list could go on and on.
I have done over 1000 gigs in the last 40 years:)

Borderline shut a couple of months ago.
That's quite sad. The last seedy enclave of live music at that end of tottenham court road. Seen some great gigs there - but the beer was always pish. Jonathan Wilson with Jackson Browne and Wolf People spring to mind.

No doubt some Grime aficionado will be along in 10 years time saying the same about some pub in Lee.

Hubert Sumlin at the Borderline was good fun. His guitar was out of tune, however. Lovely man.

A few of late (forgotten) entries ...

Some fine fundraisers at Hackney Town Hall inc' Bronski Beat, John Cooper-Clark, Redskins, Frank Chickens, Ted Chipington and Joolz.
Cocteau Twins at Sadlers Wells/very good, T+C club/a pa so rubbish I had words with the technical Johnny, and RAH/fantastic + most hilariously polite mosh pit I've been in.

Also a few good effective one off venues e.g. New Order at Michael Sobell Leisure Centre.

advertisement

Back