advertisement

London music venues

I'm old enough to remember the final days of Ronnie Scott's old place at 39, Gerrard Street. :(

I was at Ronnie Scott's last weekend for Courtney Pine. I love that venue. When you look at the list of who has played there in the past it's eye watering. To be so close to legendary performers in such a lovely little club would be an utterly amazing experience.

I was at Ronnie Scott's last weekend for Courtney Pine. I love that venue. When you look at the list of who has played there in the past it's eye watering. To be so close to legendary performers in such a lovely little club would be an utterly amazing experience.

We used to go there when I was at uni. I remember going to see Roy Ayers in '95 or so play the most blinding gig I've ever seen him play. Right at the front with a bottle of wine in front of us on discounted tickets. Result. Didn't enjoy the Mingus Big Band quite as much a few years later and haven't been back since. More of a Vortex/Oto/Horse Hospital man since.

I like Ronnie Scotts too - can't be beaten for a proper Jazz Club vibe (nice!)

It can be a bit pricey but there's nowhere better to see proper jazz legends like Benny Golson.

Jazz cafe has a really good atmos, decent sound. , friendly staff. Been there a few times recently , best of the bunch was Dave Douglas

brixton academy went through a period of really shithouse sound from about 2006-2010. it was absolutlely gash and we left a couple of times, refusing to go back.

I'd forgotten (perhaps not surprisingly) that Brixton Academy hosted some excellent cinema fume events in the mid 90s.
One of my favourites was a double bill of This Is Spinal Tap and The Blues Brothers.

brixton academy went through a period of really shithouse sound from about 2006-2010. it was absolutlely gash and we left a couple of times, refusing to go back.

Still absolutely dire. We saw Bikini Kill there a couple of months ago and they rocked my world. Amazing gig, but this was in spite of the appalling sound. With a punk gig I can see it as all part of the mayhem.

Seen great gigs at Café Oto, Dalston Vortex, The Borderline and Highbury Garage, which were all still open last time I looked.

Islington o2 academy is a bit soulless, but the bar is great as are the sound and lights and I've been there more often than I realised.

The venue I really miss is The Spitz, which, by the time it closed, was pretty much the only thing stopping Spitalfields turning into a river of hipster shit. The 12 Bar, also. Worth noting that gig venues have often not been around as long as you may think.

Bloody hate Brixton Academy.

Aah The Spitz! I’d forgotten about that. Saw two or three gigs there before it shut. Criminal what they’ve done to the market since.

Anyone else go to The Red Rose in Finsbury Park? I used to catch the London Improvisers Orchestra there when I was a student. Invariably there was some bloke wandering in to the front bar selling stolen meat out of a plastic bag while we waited for doors to open.

Did my one and only gig there too in fact. The barman offered me a free pint on the condition ‘I never make that horrible racket again’

advertisement

Back