advertisement

Logitech Media Server without a Squeezebox?

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I came across this when trying to run LMS without a Squeezebox on my rather old Mac mini on OS X 10.7.5. Hoping someone could help me out please.

I've installed LMS, made all the settings changes in man in a van's post Logitech Media Server without a Squeezebox? and everything looks OK to me, but when I try to play any of my local files or a radio stream I get nothing - the play button changes to pause for a couple of seconds and then returns to showing play.

Looking at the server log it seems LMS is failing to connect to https://repos.squeezecommunity.org/extensions.xml. Anyone any clues on fixing this? Could I need to run some Terminal commands that miav mentions?

Mac OS Lion ?

Save yourself the pain and get a raspberry pi 4b ;)

ronnie

Yeah, Lion. Is there no hope with it then?

Since posting that I'd got it sometimes playing the first 5 or so seconds of a track and occasionally more, but it tends to stop of its own accord and there's no sound output. I was hoping I was getting closer. I do use Audirvana Free but have turned off hog mode and quit it.

Yeah, Lion. Is there no hope with it then?

Since posting that I'd got it sometimes playing the first 5 or so seconds of a track and occasionally more, but it tends to stop of its own accord and there's no sound output. I was hoping I was getting closer. I do use Audirvana Free but have turned off hog mode and quit it.

Well I have a 2012 mac mini which I wanted to use for the same thing.

I bought it second-hand with LION

I started have problems with Yosemite (some Plugins would not download and install, a bit like your problem, I think).

I found a workaround and continued.

Local Player just installs a very old Squeezelite and sometimes doesn't install at all, there is a Squeezelite from Ralphy which does/did works with Yosemite. Are you using the Optical out from the mini ?

I think El Capitan might work, Sierra and maybe High Sierra if you can upgrade the OS.

In all honesty, it's not worth it, a rpi4b running piCorePlayer will do LMS with ease and a HAT or usb connection to the amp is pretty cheap

ronnie

No, I can't update the OS as Lion is as far as this old mini goes. Been using USB out with Audirvana so had chosen that for LMS too.

I did notice the Local Player plugin had gone after a restart of LMS so put it back in and reconfigured it, but if you've had this much trouble with it then fair enough, it seems like I'm on a hiding to nothing with it.

Apparently I can boot it from Volumio though, so do you reckon that would be worth trying?

No, I can't update the OS as Lion is as far as this old mini goes. Been using USB out with Audirvana so had chosen that for LMS too.

I did notice the Local Player plugin had gone after a restart of LMS so put it back in and reconfigured it, but if you've had this much trouble with it then fair enough, it seems like I'm on a hiding to nothing with it.

Apparently I can boot it from Volumio though, so do you reckon that would be worth trying?

Oh, that's a bit of a disappointment regarding the OS upgrade. I'll try and have a play on my one, next week sometime.

I'm sorry but I have only tried Volumio on a rpi, so I can't offer any experience there :(

USB to what dac?

I have found the problem I had

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...-for-FIP-radio&p=909093&viewfull=1#post909093

Read from the link to page 15 or so, I had to do a manual install of the plugin (it worked after I put it in the correct folder). It might work in your circumstance. For LMS, download from here

http://mysqueezebox.com/download

If you can get that to work as a server, that's halfway,

Here is how I got squeezelite (read all the thread, it is this post from Ralphy which gives the "how-to"

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...e-flac-problem&p=904393&viewfull=1#post904393

It might work, oh and it was another game to install lame :rolleyes:

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, I'll give that a go today and let you know.

The DAC is the Rega DAC, optical in via a Behringer UCA222 that converts the USB out from the Mac.

Given my youngest Mac is now at senior school age it might be time to bite the bullet and get a newer one, but it works just fine for the basic stuff I do. The 2007 one I use for streaming my own files works absolutely fine too so I was hoping to continue with that (and the free version of Audirvana) but include some internet radio and Qobuz for a trial month to see if I like it, hence the dicking around with LMS.

If I pick up a 2012 one I'll likely need to shell out for the full Audirvana or find an OS version that is recent enough to allow streaming but old enough to still allow the free version to run (which won't on my main Mac on 10.12.6.).

I've used optical but USB out sounds better to me.

Didn't get much out of those threads as whilst I could muddle through enough to see I might need a different build of squeezlite or put it in the Library I couldn't get to download one as neither the sourceforge or github sites would load for me.

I was just about to give it up as a bad idea then I saw a post about using the standalone Squeezplay app and remembered I'd downloaded it last night so thought I'd give it a go. Well, after disabling the Localplayer plugin I fired it up and it only went and worked.

Oddly my own files play too slowly, something I've never encountered before but right now can't be arsed to investigate as I've found Radio Paradise. :D

Tl;dr: you can run LMS without a Squeezbox on a 13 year old Mac on OS X 10.7.5 Lion.

LMS was running OK for me for a couple of weeks but as of last night Squeezeplay would not return any search results from Qobuz and was complaining about my account name and password being required. Despite entering them in the LMS settings pane multiple times it wouldn't clear the problem so I unchecked the Qobuz plugin and restarted LMS.

And now I have lost all 3rd party plugins on the settings page (neither the header or any plugins are visible and the Qobuz and Radio Paradise plugins have vanished) and I have a 'Bad respository' message at the top of the plugins page.

I've tried reading around on the slimdevices forum but every thread quickly ends up losing me when talk turns to unix commands and the like. Is there a working address for these 3rd party plugins I can put in to get them back, or any other things I can try?

So far I have restarted LMS many times, rebooted the Mac, deleted the log file and repaired permissions and even resinstalled LMS 7.9.3 but still no dice.

Phew, they're back.

After a fruitless Sunday reading thread after thread this morning I came upon another of your posts on here Ronnie from when the Radio Paradise app / plugin came out, which had a link to a repository at http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/repo.xml. Adding that to the plugins repositories entries gave me the Qobuz and RP plugins I had lost.

If I've picked up anything from the reading-fest my issue might well be something to do with the old SSL version on my Mac, which results in some repositories being not found, so whilst I'm now OK again I think it's time I escaped the pain of trying to use a teenage Mac and got me a Pi to do this on.

I think it's time I escaped the pain of trying to use a teenage Mac and got me a Pi to do this on.
You won’t regret it. Out of curiosity I’ve gone minimalist and now have LMS running on a Pi3 A+ that cost £25. It’s odd to see a tiny square board with a power lead as the only physical connection to the outside world. But it hasn’t missed a beat in the first three weeks and at one point (again, out of curiosity) it was supplying different streams simultaneously to four devices. You’ll save on power, too!

That's good to hear Marchy.

Now I've decided to taste some Pi the next question is which one to get, so you being happy with your 3A+ helps as I was thinking to just go for a new 4.

That's good to hear Marchy.

Now I've decided to taste some Pi the next question is which one to get, so you being happy with your 3A+ helps as I was thinking to just go for a new 4.
If you go for the 4 and you use usb, the usb is now separated from the ethernet hub. If not, 3b is great.

I do use USB out to a cheapo DAC that converts to optical to feed my Rega DAC, so was planning on doing the same rather than buying a DAC hat.

Just reading through some threads on here it and seems enough fish are using USB out on a Pi 3 with no problems, so at the moment I'm leaning towards getting one of those rather than a 4.

If I've picked up anything from the reading-fest my issue might well be something to do with the old SSL version on my Mac, which results in some repositories being not found, so whilst I'm now OK again I think it's time I escaped the pain of trying to use a teenage Mac and got me a Pi to do this on.

Told you so :p:p

I did dig out my mac-mini last week, mostly because I have a "cheap" Tidal subscription and thought I might play a bit of MQA :rolleyes:. I have it connect to my TV.

Anyway. the mini was on HIgh Sierra, so I decided to leave as is o_O

After a bit of "remembering, :rolleyes:" I installed l Squeezelite, using a iFI DSD Nano dac.

Then LMS v7.9.4.

The LMS has a problem with starting. I found two lines to alter the permissions and got the web GUi but on nearly every reboot I had the same problem. The permissions would not persist.

I found another command line which informed me that my SSL was a bit out of date.

I found a post over on slimdevices which gives some light detail on how to update the relevent package but I have not yet felt the inclination to persue the matter :(

In many ways the pi is better for LMS, there ia a regular stream of folk with similar promlems on Windows 10, Ubuntu and Mac OS as the relentness drive for OS update proceeds.

ronnie :)

I do use USB out to a cheapo DAC that converts to optical to feed my Rega DAC, so was planning on doing the same rather than buying a DAC hat.

Just reading through some threads on here it and seems enough fish are using USB out on a Pi 3 with no problems, so at the moment I'm leaning towards getting one of those rather than a 4.

Go for a rpi4b plus the official power supply ;)

ronnie

Sometimes you just gotta feel the pain before the advice rings true :D

A 4 then eh? Would 2GB RAM be sufficient for running PiCorePlayer and streaming local ripped files, radio, Qobuz and Tidal (which I'll try next when my free Qobuz trial expires in a couple of weeks)?

No need to stream to other parts of the house or do any anything bar serving up audio, though if I could throw in a bit of light browsing whilst streaming that'd be nice. Don't know if PCP can do that though.

Hifiberry supply 2Gb Rpi 4 if you buy a kit from them.

2Gb seems to be working fine for me. Rpi4 with Hifiberry DAC HAT. LMS streaming from Qobuz or from USB stick plugged into the pi.

Output either through the HAT for main system or Yamaha WXAD-10 to the living room.

Edit:

For clarification I'm running Picoreplayer. Hifiberry have their own operating system that you can download from their website. Both Picoreplayer and Hifiberry run fine on 2Gb. If you want to try alternatives such as Volumio you should check out the specific requirements.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back