advertisement

Logitech Media Server without a Squeezebox?

strummer

pfm Member
Is it possible to use LMS without a Squeezbox player?

Got LMS on my Mac mini & that's connected to my Devialet Amp via USB.

I can browse my library, but when I hit PLAY, it doesn't play.

I was hoping I could set the Mac mini as the player & control it from iPad. Is that possible?

Thanks

have you enabled UpNP/DLNA media interface in the plugins section of settings page?

Thanks dudy

No, I haven't. I wouldn't have had a clue! :confused:

The telly that the Mac is connected to is being used now (footy), so I'll have a look at that later.

have you enabled UpNP/DLNA media interface in the plugins section of settings page?

That was ticked! Is that correct?

I didn't have Softsqueeze installed though, which I imagine I should have?

So I installed Softsqueeze, got as far as seeing the GUI & seeing it was "connecting to server". Then had to give the telly back, so I will continue later.

Ta

I am utterly fcking useless around all things computer!!!!!

I had LMS running perfectly. It just wouldn't play.

I installed Squeezesoft. That installed, but won't connect to Sever.

Now when I open LMS it's "Unable to connect".

I can see in the browser bar it's trying to connect to "localhost:9000". I have no idea if that's wrong or right?

I really should have stuck with a record player & CDP :confused:

Have you tried the Local Player plugin?

Thanks Simon.

No. Didn't know it existed. Would that mean I don't need the Squeezesoft??

I can see the problem with my current setup, but don't know how to fix it.
I can see in LMS that I don't have a player...
I can see in Softsqueeze that it's pointed at "Diskstation" (my NAS). I'm guessing that should be my LMS server??

How do I fix the above or am I better to scrap the Squeezesoft & use this Local Player Plugin?

Ta

I think squeezesoft is quite dated and superseded by squeezelite. This plugin is an easy way to run squeezelite withing LMS.

If you have LMS running on your mac, navigate to localhost:9000 then settings>plugins and tick Local Player. Restart LMS then go to settings>advanced>Local Player and select the squeezelite-osx binary. Another restart and you should have a player called SqueezeLite.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks Simon.

No. Didn't know it existed. Would that mean I don't need the Squeezesoft??

I can see the problem with my current setup, but don't know how to fix it.
I can see in LMS that I don't have a player...
I can see in Softsqueeze that it's pointed at "Diskstation" (my NAS). I'm guessing that should be my LMS server??

How do I fix the above or am I better to scrap the Squeezesoft & use this Local Player Plugin?

Ta

Dump the Squeezesoft.

Which version of LMS? you really need the nightly v7.9.

On the Mac Mini LMS go to Settings>Plugins>3rd party plugins and tick the Local Player box.

Restart LMS.

On the mac mini audio settings select the usb output as default.

Restart the mac mini.

On the web gui of LMS go to the top right hand corner and select your player.

Go to the Settings page and select Player and go to the Audio Tab and ensure the volume output is set at 100%.

Depending on the MAC OS version you might have to enter a couple of lines into Terminal for the correct permissions if it does not play.

Hope this helps, it's a bit rushed and something might be missing.

atb

ronnie

Thanks guys!

OK, I've upgraded to v7.9, but since I deleted the SB3 player, I'm unable to get to the familiar turquoise LMS screen.

All I can get is the white www.mysqueezebox.com screen.

I'm logged in, but no sign of how I get to Settings.

Sorted!!!!

Thanks guys. I had a couple of hiccups, because the Mac lost the NAS, probably when I upgraded the iOS & it took me a while to work out that I had to go into Finder & sign back in from there. Soon as I did that, it was searchable from LMS.

The sound quality seems a LOT better than playing CD on the Mac. I wouldn't have thought that possible (digital is digital etc... & obviously it's the same DAC), but I've been playing CD on the Mac all day & thinking it sounded dull & rubbish. Soon as I got the LMS going, it just sounds clearer.

Next task is to control it from the iPad. If I can do that, I'm not sure there's any need to look at JRiver or Roon. Is there??

Squeezebox App working on iPad.

Just flicking through, some albums don't play. Got a feeling they may be MP3, but I can't see that on the Mac (or I don't know how to). I'll investigate further tomorrow.

I see there are alternatives to the Squeezbox App by iPeng. Are they any better?

I use iPeng to control all my Squeezestuff and think it is great, although I probably use only 20% of the facilities it offers! I didn't get on with the official app, but that was a while ago and I can't femember exactly why.

I'll give iPeng a go tomorrow then, thanks.

OK, so I can't play MP3 or WMA files. Most of my stuff is FLAC or WAV, but I do have some stuff in those formats, so I'm hoping that's a simple fix?

Ta

+1 for iPeng.

Check out the note in LMS settings>Advanced>Local Player

OK, so I can't play MP3 or WMA files. Most of my stuff is FLAC or WAV, but I do have some stuff in those formats, so I'm hoping that's a simple fix?

Ta

I think playing mp3 may involve installing mpg123 but that's as far as I can help as I'm not a Mac kinda guy.

If you want to sort this stuff out I would go to forums.slimdevices where you will get expert advice, including on use of iPeng (although that is pretty straightforward)

Thanks guys!

Hit a snag. Obviously some conflict issue.

Last night the LMS was playing > USB > Devialet no problem.
And when I downloaded the Squeezbox App, that controlled it.

This morning I went to play via iPad. Sound came out of the internal speaker of Mac mini..

Went into Settings & see it is set correctly for >USB Devialet.

Tried using iTunes on the Mac, that plays >USB fine.

Went back to the LMS GUI & saw that SqueezeLite had deselected itself, so I selected it.

Sound still coming from Internal speakers, even though Settings say >USB

Go back to my iPad & Squeezebox App is frozen.

advertisement

Back