advertisement

Log burner

That’s fine, the fire is used atm, so logs are already transported around and the associated dirt doesn’t bother me..

Someone asked about the dram... currently Seaweed Rum. :)

Brand recommendations for the stove?
Not the cheapest by any means, but I had a Charlton & Jenrick Purevision CVP 5 W intstalled last year, and I’m very, very pleased with it. It’s up to the latest eco burning standards, and nice big glass viewing window. Nominally 5 kw but I suspect that’s conservative with good dry wood.
AF1QipPTA4fcMopn8Ya61RRzNA7N4q0DS0rVFzCNQNqdLDRYXUfTMmH4TwZCFYZyYOZuiw

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gLAPvbpSCrWJFDc7

We’ve had a Morsø Owl 7kw for the last 12 years. It is a fine stove but, being designed for high efficiency, won’t stay ‘in’ overnight. Or at least it won’t for us. I rather wish it would but otherwise it has been faultless, and looks more or less brand new still...

My mother has a Charnwood Country 8 which is getting close to being 30 year old. Other than a couple of new fire bricks, door glass with rope seal and the occasional exterior polish with stove black its been very reliable.

PS: it stays in overnight when closed down and is permanently lit for months when in use, she just empties the ash pan out when necessary

Last edited:
We have three Charnwoods installed as part of a house refurb and they are amazing - and as per other posters, just use wood, forget about other options. All the multifuel kit does is add a grate to lift the fuel up as that coal will burn (from the bottom up) vs wood (can burn from top).

Good luck, I am sure you’ll love it.

Yes I have a Jotul No6 in the barn and it’s a very good burner.

Mine is an F100, had it for about 10 years. It’s a fantastic thing. Burns very clean, whenever the sweep comes, there’s hardly anything in the flue.

OP - if you need a small burner, we’ve got an Aga Little Wenlock and it’s also a cracking stove. I can highly recommend it for the size but the Jotul is better. The one I wouldn’t particularly rate is the Hunter (14 with a back boiler). The build is not as good and doesn’t burn as well. It does the job but would replace with something else in a perfect world. The other make that I hear fantastic things about although have no direct experience of is Clearview. As with most things, you generally get what you pay for...

Had a large Woodwarm for years. Very good multifuel stove. However, changed it to a Burley Fireball Hollywell which is 5 kW nominal. Outstanding stove, probably most efficient on the market. So pleased that I installed a Burley Fireball Debdale in an other room. Same stove just smaller and 4 kW Nominal.
Very easy to light and control, and clean. Both have a large viewing window and produce an amazing whirling vortex flame.
Two friends who have seen them have both installed one.

http://burley.co.uk/category/wood-burning-stoves/

Last edited:
May I suggest that you consider a stove top fan too?

Friends have one and they are a great addition to wood burning stoves.

I have used a Charnwood Cove 1 (5kw) for the past two years. Great fire and everyone at Charnwood is a pleasure to deal with. They’re very knowledgeable and happy to chat fire for ages, unlike some other companies I contacted when choosing the stove. They’re extremely easy to operate with one air control managing all air inputs in a very clever way.

I also seriously considered Morsoe and Jotul during my extensive research. Just avoid cheap Chinese stoves and only get a multi fuel stove if you are going to be burning solid fuel/coal on a regular basis as they generally lower the efficiency of the fire box.

Happy to discuss/answer any questions on pm.

I’m looking forward to firing up the Owl soon too. Need to get the lum swept first (though usually there’s next to no soot due to its high efficiency; one of the things I was always told was that overnighting/slumbering would result in more soot and condensation in the liner, but as the Owl/our chimney doesn’t stay in overnight it’s moot. The Owl has a tertiary burn which in the UK is fixed so that you can’t damp down entirely, and that is one reason why it won’t overnight...

be careful log burners cost a lot to run, logs an't cheep, you can't go round with a chainsaw either, also the government are planing to tax fire wood as it has become so popular,

They really don’t cost a lot to run. You can buy a very large amount of kiln dried wood relatively cheaply. The tax is proposed on wet wood.
You can easily buy a small chainsaw and approach local farmers etc to cut up their windfall. Season it for a year or so. No cost!

They really don’t cost a lot to run. You can buy a very large amount of kiln dried wood relatively cheaply./QUOTE]

Properly seasoned wood is better than kiln dried. Kiln drying drives off volatile products in the wood reducing the energy available to burn.

Of course poorly seasoned wood is no-no from both the energy efficiency and environmental points of view.

advertisement

Back