advertisement

Loadsa Rega!!

Yes. Everything about what the support is made of and how it is configured makes a difference. Generally speaking, glass is not very good and a lighter stand is better, Mana being a noteworthy exception! A good solution if you have a heavy rack full of kit and not much space is a wall shelf above the rack.

Think I'd better revert to a wooden top shelf then. Keep the turntable as far away from glass.
Much obliged.

There's Rega taking all that weight out of the TT, and I go and sit it on a heavy unit!!!

Exactly. What the turntable sits on effectively becomes part of the turntable structure. Rega's lightweight turntable construction is aimed at minimizing the problems this can cause, as is the suspension on an LP12, but only so much is possible. If you spend a lot on a turntable then ignore the effect of the support you're throwing away performance.

Exactly. What the turntable sits on effectively becomes part of the turntable structure. Rega's lightweight turntable construction is aimed at minimizing the problems this can cause, as is the suspension on an LP12, but only so much is possible. If you spend a lot on a turntable then ignore the effect of the support you're throwing away performance.
That I may be. Unfortunately I dont want to go putting a TT shelf up on my living room wall. Not to mention, my walls are dot and dab, with far too much hollow. Would struggle to make it work.

Experiment. It costs little to try different things and the results can be very interesting.

Yeah, only a few hundred smackers when I decide I dont like the glass topped unit, and I want to change the unit!!! I have reverted to a wooden top. If necessary I shall put an isolation platform underneath the TT as well. What a minefield they are!
-Plain simple solid wood
-Plywood sandwiching a 3mm sheet of lead
-2 sheets of steel sandwiching some polymer (think it is meant to help with damping- turning resonance to heat)

We have discontinued our loudspeaker range (other than the newly introduced Kytes) as the price of real wood cabinets has become unrealistic and we decided that we could not continue to offer the performance we wanted at the price we would have to charge so the simple decision was to cease manufacture.

A real shame but not surprising. I build guitars and the price of solid wood has skyrocketed with some species very difficult to get hold of. The price of veneers and veneered sheets is going through the roof. Until it settles down the price of speakers is going to continue to climb. I hope Rega retains the equipment and their documentation and research into driver technology as the designs are excellent and very well thought out. Hopefully one day when things settle down Rega speakers will once more be profitable to manufacture.

I too am a mostly Rega girl who had a steep upgrade journey. Within a year I went from a P1, fono, marantz amp, Node2i with kef ls50 speakers then tried a P3, then a P6 with the Elex r amp and have finally settled with a P8 TT with a Dynavector xx2 cart, Aria phono, Aethos amp, Apollo r cd, Naim streamer & Spendor D7.2 speakers with Chord Epic loom throughout. And have finally stopped upgrading. I tried other brands for amplification & speakers, inc Naim, Hegel, Neat, & PMC. Am done…. For a while anyway.

I too am a mostly Rega girl who had a steep upgrade journey. Within a year I went from a P1, fono, marantz amp, Node2i with kef ls50 speakers then tried a P3, then a P6 with the Elex r amp and have finally settled with a P8 TT with a Dynavector xx2 cart, Aria phono, Aethos amp, Apollo r cd, Naim streamer & Spendor D7.2 speakers with Chord Epic loom throughout. And have finally stopped upgrading. I tried other brands for amplification & speakers, inc Naim, Hegel, Neat, & PMC. Am done…. For a while anyway.
Spendor D7s are the other speakers I am looking at for the future.
It's a toss up between them, some ATCs, or the RS10s. Of course, it might be that my RX3s trump the lot, but I doubt it!

advertisement

Back