advertisement

Loadsa Rega!!

Let's say they deserve a lot of plaudits for their 'breath of fresh air' approach. Although that seems an odd thing to say for a company about 50yrs old!

They are very unusual certainly, I can't think of another Hi-Fi company like them. Even if started by enthusiasts, most companies shift to a more profit-driven model as time progresses. Especially when the ownership changes. Rega are very fortunate in still being driven by their original founder who is committed to value and quality and who has clearly created a working ethos which attracts talented and inventive people.

Yep. Far too many also sell out to the highest bidder before too long, and that is often the start of the downward spiral.
I have no doubt Roy has had plenty of offers, but they seem to be of little interest to him.
If I remember rightly from the book, he has always grown organically, and has never had a loan. Think even their current building was funded by himself and the company profits.

Lets just hope the company remains as is when he eventually decides to call it a day, as unlikely as that scenario seems right now!

I believe that's a fact
They don't pay for ads as far as I know

When they expanded decades ago with P9/Osiris/RS10 etc..I believe they managed to invest/develop further resulting in skeleton decks, better amps and tonearm/Moving Coil cartridges.

The thing I was a bit concerned with before trialling the P10 was all the reviews mentioning the lack of bass.

A turntable cannot lack bass.
A cartridge can, a turntable or arm cannot since it can only impart very minor changes to frequency ressponse.

A turntable can introduce smear and overhang due to the complex process of energy storage and release, those are time domain effects and can be perceived as added richness or weight at the low end - but you aren't getting more bass.

A turntable cannot lack bass.
A cartridge can, a turntable or arm cannot since it can only impart very minor changes to frequency response.

I disagree with this. You play an Ittok, Ekos or other arm with good bass against a sloppy budget arm and come back and tell me if you still think that way.

I disagree with this. You play an Ittok, Ekos or other arm with good bass against a sloppy budget arm and come back and tell me if you still think that way.

I have and stand by it.

The character of the bass changes, not the amount.

If you think an arm can significantly alter bass level, say by more than half a dB, show your workings :)

Rega are profit driven, every company is & there is nothing wrong with that. Profit is not a dirty word & allows companies to invest & grow.

The fact they treat customers well & design excellent products is largely down to them being a shrewd business.

I believe that's a fact
They don't pay for ads as far as I know

When they expanded decades ago with P9/Osiris/RS10 etc..I believe they managed to invest/develop further resulting in skeleton decks, better amps and tonearm/Moving Coil cartridges.

No, they don't advertise. He decided early on he would rather put the money into R&D. He believed quality products would sell themselves. Think he admits it hasn't always worked out like that, but too far gone to change tack now. Believe he needed convincing regards sponsoring 'Record Store Day'.

As for profit driven. Of course they are. But not to the extent some are. For example, I get the impression Roy just enjoys going in to work. He does not like the business side as much, and does not sit in a nice office counting the pennies.
Also, how many other factories have pool table just inside the door (a very small thing I know), and assuming still true, there is a canteen with proper chef serving decent food.
All these little things could be scrapped to try and save a few pennies, but staff welfare seems to be a higher priority than with some companies.
Then there is the fact he keeps manufacturing in house or close by to make sure quality is to his standards.
Outsourcing to some far off land may save a few pennies, but quality control is more important. Plus to be honest, he probably enjoys the hive of activity around him!!

PS. All my equipment is up for sale the second they outsource to a far off place!

Reactions: DCA
Query for the turntable experts. Do you reckon there is any difference in sound with the turntable sat on a glass shelf compared to a wooden shelf?
Contemplating pulling the plug on a HIFI unit and making the top shelf glass.

It is a shame.
I like the simple but purposeful look of the RX range.

Those that own or have listened to the RS10 seem to be full of praise. So it surprises me they seemingly don't sell many of it.
I wonder if, as I have heard a couple of times, people just assume they are better off with a so called 'speaker company'. Spendor, ATC etc.
When I listened to my replacement Saturn at the dealer (to make sure it worked!), they had it hooked up to an Aethos and some large ish B&Ws.
My brief listen showed a very big sound, but the price tag of the speakers was very big as well. But afterwards I did wonder if it wasn't an artificially big sound. Something I don't want. So I now see B&W, rightly or wrongly, as the makers of artificial bass.
Saying that, they wouldn't have struggled where my RX does!

There is another train of thought though (don't read this Mr Pig!)
I saw a video where Mr Harbeth, Alan Shaw, upon being asked what he thought of the increasing numbers of speaker makers at these Hifi shows, basically saying there were too many substandard speakers appearing, and he wanted to see the numbers reduce.
Perhaps, with most angles covered in the speaker market, it isn't a bad idea if one of them tails off. Ie Rega.
Roy Gandy seems to be of the belief that it is all about accurately converting what the artist intends us to hear (my apologies to him if that is incorrect). In which case, we are probably covered by Harbeth and ATC.

RS10 cabinets were outsourced, made in Denmark I believe. Great woodwork, fantastic finish. Having turned 70 last June I will be keeping mine until the lights are turned off for good in my listening room. Just wondering: has Brexit had any influence on quitting the speaker manufacturing business?

No, they don't advertise. He decided early on he would rather put the money into R&D. He believed quality products would sell themselves. Think he admits it hasn't always worked out like that, but too far gone to change tack now. Believe he needed convincing regards sponsoring 'Record Store Day'.

As for profit driven. Of course they are. But not to the extent some are. For example, I get the impression Roy just enjoys going in to work. He does not like the business side as much, and does not sit in a nice office counting the pennies.
Also, how many other factories have pool table just inside the door (a very small thing I know), and assuming still true, there is a canteen with proper chef serving decent food.
All these little things could be scrapped to try and save a few pennies, but staff welfare seems to be a higher priority than with some companies.
Then there is the fact he keeps manufacturing in house or close by to make sure quality is to his standards.
Outsourcing to some far off land may save a few pennies, but quality control is more important. Plus to be honest, he probably enjoys the hive of activity around him!!

PS. All my equipment is up for sale the second they outsource to a far off place!

What do you mean exactly by "far off place"? I am certain you don't mean Dunnet Head.

Do you reckon there is any difference in sound with the turntable sat on a glass shelf compared to a wooden shelf?

Yes. Everything about what the support is made of and how it is configured makes a difference. Generally speaking, glass is not very good and a lighter stand is better, Mana being a noteworthy exception! A good solution if you have a heavy rack full of kit and not much space is a wall shelf above the rack.

Best place for a Rega TT is a Rega wall shelf IME, in fact good place to put any TT provided a suitable wall and fixings are used.
I can imagine, but I don't want to put a TT wall shelf on the wall. The room still has to act as a living room.
I may utilise an isolation deck.

What's people's thoughts on utilising these decks under say a CD player to try and help avoid vibrations transferring through the unit.
As unlikely as that is.

Yes. Everything about what the support is made of and how it is configured makes a difference. Generally speaking, glass is not very good and a lighter stand is better, Mana being a noteworthy exception! A good solution if you have a heavy rack full of kit and not much space is a wall shelf above the rack.

There's Rega taking all that weight out of the TT, and I go and sit it on a heavy unit!!!

Outsourcing is very smart and where the supplier is geographically is unimportant if the quality and intellectual security can be maintained. Rega have always outsourced heavily and I do not know where their suppliers are. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a manufacturer who doesn't outsource.

Outsourcing is very smart and where the supplier is geographically is unimportant if the quality and intellectual security can be maintained. Rega have always outsourced heavily and I do not know where their suppliers are. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a manufacturer who doesn't outsource.

Most suppliers seem to be UK based.
I meant outsourcing the final product.

advertisement

Back