advertisement

Loading - DV Te Kaitora Rua

badger748

Former bacon enthusiast
Just a bit of advice needed if poss.

Got a Te Kaitora Rua installed and playing on my Raven / Phantom at the moment - absolutely love it - in fact, I probably prefer it to the XV1-S i had for a few years.

My phono amp does not seem to have quite enough gain for it though as it's a very low output at 0.26mV - currently set at 100ohm loading. I'm cranking the volume up way too much on my amp, a Luxman L590A II - consequently there's a fair bit of hiss.

Am considering a step up transformer to work with it, which might help or to change the loadings to see if it might alter the sound slightly. I have the settings at 100, 200, 300, 500, and 1000 ohms. It's a Nagra BPS.

Alternatively I might try a different phono stage - but the cart is very special and I will prob keep this long term.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

I would suggest a Dynavector P75 MK II phono stage.

I have the XX2 and it works really well with that with more than enough gain.

Cheers

John

I see from the website that later versions have the option of two gains 49db and 64db. Perhaps yours is set to 49db. Earlier ones I think were 64db only which should be enough and as high as DV own phono-stages.

If not I am not sure. If the BPS is a MC only device I think a SUT would overdrive the input as most are designed to feed a MM phono stage.

The BPS is MM and MC - so I could use the SUT into the MM section :)

The BPS is a very good phono stage and I put it ahead of my previous one, the Einstein. No disrespect to the P75 - but it is not just gain i need, but absolute sound quality too. The BPS has this, it just needs a bit more grunt!

I would double check the settings on the BPS as it reads like it should have enough grunt but if not a SUT would work into the MM setting. If your a happy to do a bit of DIY the Cinemag SUT is excellent and can be had for I think $150 a pair plus shipping. Or you can get a ready built one. I have a DIY one picked up off a Wigwam member I sometimes use.

You would have to check if the Te Kaitora Rua is suited to the Cinemag first though or seek more experienced advice than mine. I know that a SUT loading on a Cartridge isn't as straightforward to work out as a active stage.

I know about the Cinemag SUT - check out Bob's Devices (google it). Very good bit of kit.

I will delve a bit deeper with the BPS - funny enough with my AT33-EV on the Phantom, there was plenty of gain, but the output is slightly higher at .3mV.

Will do some digging.

Well I would respectfully suggest adding another item into the chain will degrade the sound quality more than using a P75 MKII.

You may well be right...... but then adding another high quality item in the chain could improve matters. I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of the P75, suffice to say, it's not on my radar for purchase.
Thanks for the help so far.

.04v of gain difference shouldn't require a lot more gain on the Luxman, something amiss somewhere. Have you done the obvious and popped a new PP9 battery in. Bob's Devices was who I was thinking off for the ready built SUT's but I couldn't remember the name. Loading looks about right at 100ohms as it states >30ohms on the DV site. Very puzzling.

No its def on MC. It had an Energiser battery in which was the manufacturer supplied one - I have just popped in a Duracell. Just done a bit of browsing and it appears all 9v batteries are not the same - with various comments being made about the advantages of Energiser..... maybe this is relevant? I will go buy an Energiser today.

So which is best Duracell or Energiser. There's only way to find out............

Don't you just love the power of suggestion. Try measuring them, you'll find in every parameter, max voltage, time to discharge, max load ability and impedance that the duracell is the better battery.

Hi badger,

Sorry, its off-topic I know, but I believe you have been fortunate enough to audition a Spiral Groove record player. How did you find the sound?

To my mind the current SG tables and tonearm seem to be very elegant and interestingly designed pieces. But then, I'm not a fan of the Phantom tonearm design so what do I know?

To answer the Ops question. The MC gain of your phono amp is 62dB at 1KHz and that should be ample. My cart is low output at 0.1mV and my phono stage has 55dB of gain and its ample.

The BPS also has an inbuilt SUT for the MC input.

Personally I would look at an alternative phono stage as that hiss doesn't sound right! Maybe the Luxman but that can be checked by unplugging the phono stage.

I have done away with my pre-amp and use a phono stage with inbuilt volume control and pre-amplification for a significant improvement. Also for an MC the loading is adjusted on those carts that can sound too 'bright' or 'lively' by taming the HF. By reducing the load the HF resonance can be reduced and the converse is also true. My own phono stage only has one load impedance at 600 Ohms and it works extremely well.

A good SUT will be expensive and would seem out of place in the current system.

Cheers,

DV

PS I'd also be interested on any input on the SG as my next TT move will be in that price arena.

Thanks for all the help. Haven't been home for a while - so hoping to check everything out this weekend.

Spiral Groove is a nice player. Only heard at shows - although am due to borrow and have a proper listen to one in the UK at some stage. I am 99% sure I will retain my Raven/Phantom combo for good now anyway, so another TT is off the radar.

The only way I could consider a new TT would be an addition rather than a replacement, and spending my own money, it would have to be a GP Audio Monaco and not a SG.

Arm wise - I have to say the Phantom still does it for me.

Rgds - Lee

Lee Hi, did you ever have any more problems with your Phantom, was the arm replaced?
Personally I wouldn't have another.
Keith.

I got a new arm tube so all ok now.

I must get around to looking and listening to the TW arm...but its a lot of money.

One day !

Was going to come over soon for a catch up anyway Keith and talk PC/Mac audio and Weiss....

and coffee machines.

Yeah - he is good - football mad.....! Was never going to be a vinyl loving karter - but hey ho! All ok your end - boys keeping you on your toes Im sure!

advertisement

Back